Turn on thread page Beta

I generally prefer my own company. What is wrong with that? watch

(Original post by The Notorious One)
    Tell him to **** off you have nothing to loose since you like being on your own. Next time he asks you for lunch just turn him down
    Yeah, I've learnt my lesson. Could he have actually told people that we are dating?

(Original post by Drumzilla)
    get your ego in check :rolleyes:

anyway if you don't want to go to lunch with this guy then why not just say no.

If you go to lunch together everyday do you not think people might suspect something?

perhaps you may like being lonely but you can't get mad at someone for trying to keep you company when you haven't even told him you want to be alone.
    I'm just stating things as they are. Why should I lie about my looks when I get told I'm pretty and cute all the time?

It's not my fault if you don't get compliments. Why should I start calling myself something I'm not just to please people like you?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with that. You are describing work, and you may take a different view elsewhere (home, study, or even in other jobs). Work is to earn a living and hopefully have a career, and it need not be to make friends if you don't wish to.

ReputationRep:
    A lone wolf is the way to go lol, atleast you know you dont have to rely on people and wait on them, being late and crap, distracting you, boring you with stupid jokes and crap but yeh it can also be good to spend time with your friends time to time but theres nothing wrong with wanting to be alone normaly unless its like locking yourself in a room and doing nothing then you need some help

ReputationRep:
    hahaha

sorry to laugh, but in your first post, I didn't catch on that you were a girl until the end of the post, I thought you were upset because people would be thinking you were gay

ReputationRep:
    My life is 50/50 I enjoy watching films alone, playing xbox (maybe in a party with friends), I like reading alone, all that stuff. Then the other part of my life is the real fun ****; flying, gliding, shooting, going to game fairs, spot of fishing, going to restaurants with mates, I dont mind being around people in school, I prefer the company of a few good friends, rather than a bunch of aquintances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drumzilla)
    get your ego in check :rolleyes:

anyway if you don't want to go to lunch with this guy then why not just say no.

If you go to lunch together everyday do you not think people might suspect something?

perhaps you may like being lonely but you can't get mad at someone for trying to keep you company when you haven't even told him you want to be alone.
    First of all, if she is attractive, she is attractive. I know it sucks, but some people are fortunate in terms of looks, and although we fear being known as stuck up, there is no reason to lie when anonymous on an internet forum.

It should also be possible to go to lunch with someone of the opposite sex without everyone thinking you're a couple., most girls have male friends and vice versa. Only problem is that he is pretending you are a couple. If he didn't, there would be no problem. OP, you need to set him straight and tell him what you wrote here, you have no interest in being known as being romantically involved with a guy who has a girlfriend (or anyone for that matter, when you're single).

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing wrong with preferring your own company, I'm like that a lot of the time, and I actually really prefer people like you rather than one of my mates who is the complete opposite, who is always talking and very clingy, for the sake of trying to be popular.

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer you own company, you are much more stable than the ones who feel sorry for that.. Just be yourself, ignore the crap comments and do what you were doing earlier..

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, so I recently started a new job in London.

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was saying who do you go to lunch with and I told her that I go to the company restaurant and have lunch on my own. She started feeling sorry for me saying it will get better and that things will become more social. I didn't understand why she was feeling sorry for me because I generally prefer to eat in peace and quiet. I also like to check my messages in peace. In general prefer to be by myself 80% of the time. That's not to say I don't go out or anything, I just find being around people frustrating at times.

Anyway, I was annoyed today because I know a guy who already works in the company and he's always asking to meet me for lunch. I always reluctantly go. Today he told me that there are rumours going around that we are dating. That pissed me off because 1. he has a gf who he lives with and 2. I prefer to be known as single particularly as I'm still young and sifting guys. I asked him if he's set the record straight with people and it turns out he hasn't. He seems to be loving it and has said nothing to dispel the rumours. My friend suggested that he must be trying to boost his profile at work, particularly as I'm a very attractive girl.

Could he have told people that we are an item>

I don't get why he can't go to the restaurant and eat on his own.

ReputationRep:

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was saying who do you go to lunch with and I told her that I go to the company restaurant and have lunch on my own. She started feeling sorry for me saying it will get better and that things will become more social. I didn't understand why she was feeling sorry for me because I generally prefer to eat in peace and quiet. I also like to check my messages in peace. In general prefer to be by myself 80% of the time. That's not to say I don't go out or anything, I just find being around people frustrating at times.

Anyway, I was annoyed today because I know a guy who already works in the company and he's always asking to meet me for lunch. I always reluctantly go. Today he told me that there are rumours going around that we are dating. That pissed me off because 1. he has a gf who he lives with and 2. I prefer to be known as single particularly as I'm still young and sifting guys. I asked him if he's set the record straight with people and it turns out he hasn't. He seems to be loving it and has said nothing to dispel the rumours. My friend suggested that he must be trying to boost his profile at work, particularly as I'm a very attractive girl.

I prefer my own company too. Sometimes it is a good thing, in the case that you save yourself from all the drama and stress involved with friendships, aswell as irritating rants about how 'Ashley is such a cow because she stole my crush' etc. However I have come to realise it's not very wise. What are we going to do when our kids ask us 'Mommy, what memories do you have of your childhood?' Excluding the few memories of seaside holidays from the ages of 3 - 9, once we get to our teenage years we probably won't have much to tell. We only have one shot at our teenage years. Don't waste them.

As long as you get involved with the right sort of people, friends won't kill you. Suggest yourself a dinner with your friend, she will appreciate it, and hopefully stop bothering you with what she thinks are your 'anti-social' problems. I'm sure it will be fun, sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone into a new world is better for you. And as for the guy, have a talk with him warning him that his girlfriend won't like the rumours as much as he is liking it, and if he wants to keep her as a gf he should set the record straight, or you will tell her yourself (a little blackmail to sa ve your reputation is harmless).

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    What's your company called?
    I thought that was pretty funny, don't know why you got negs

There's nothing really wrong with enjoying being by yourself, if you're happy doing it then that's fine, but you shouldn't completely dismiss being around others because it's probably unhealthy to be on your own all the time

ReputationRep:

It's fine as long as you're fine with it.
    Although I wouldn't be fine with wasting the prime of my life on my own.

ReputationRep:
    Because, to most people, eating on your own looks like you have no friends
    he also, seeing as you're new, is probably trying to be nice
    i think you may wind up being rude to him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor)
    I prefer my own company too. Sometimes it is a [I]good[/] thing, in the case that you save yourself from all the drama and stress involved with friendships, aswell as irritating rants about how 'Ashley is such a cow because she stole my crush' etc. However I have come to realise it's not very wise. What are we going to do when our kids ask us 'Mommy, what memories do you have of your childhood?' Excluding the few memories of seaside holidays from the ages of 3 - 9, once we get to our teenage years we probably won't have much to tell. We only have one shot at our teenage years. Don't waste them.

As long as you get involved with the right sort of people, friends won't kill you. Suggest yourself a dinner with your friend, she will appreciate it, and hopefully stop bothering you with what she thinks are your 'anti-social' problems. And as for the guy, have a talk with him warning him that his girlfriend won't like the rumours as much as he is liking it, and if he wants to keep her as a gf he should keep the record straight, or you will tell her yourself (a little blackmail to save your reputation is harmless).

Best of luck.
    I agree with this.
    I am like you OP, and it is comforting to know that I am not the only one. You experienced a little negative feedback on some things you said, like the fact that you are attractive, but that's people for you. I am introverted too, I am not insecure, although I can be shy around certain people. Now the fact that I have an expensive taste in clothes (and perhaps that I am lucky looks-wise) can sometimes make people believe that I am arrogant. I am nice and all that, but sometimes people choose an opinion and sticks with it. Some also believe I am shy, which is annoying, but better none the less.
    The minus side about being a person who enjoys your own company a lot, is that sometimes you want to do stuff, go out, have dinner, go clubbing etc., and you cannot expect people to adjust to your schedule all the time. The days when i have school and am home late, I am too tired to do anything later. I usually have lunch out with a friend in the weekend, but like to go shopping by myself (some of that is due to the fact that many of my friends don't shop where I shop). I am not in a 'clique', because I hate cliques and I just find that some people I can chat with, some I attend classes with, some I go clubbing with and others i chat online with. It's difficult to find someone who's 100% compatible. But you increase your chances by saying yes to more invitations. A friend of mine asked me out for a girl's night last weekend, I was tired and not sure, but I went and had a blast. Met some new girls, and now I have made some new options for girls to hang out with during summer.

I know the reason for why I am this way. My sister has always been very outgoing, so I 'ended up' being the more quiet one. As a child, we didn't have a tradition for inviting people home, my mother was very particular about telling her in advance, and we've never had a relaxed atmosphere around the house. As I grew older, she always pushed me into making friendships, which made me resent it. I always had close friends, but during a lot of my spare time, I just wanted my mother and everyone else to leave me alone. Now that I am 20, I certainly see what my mother attempted, and I try to be social now and then. Both for enjoyment, and to keep in touch, make new friends etc. I don't think you should feel like you need to change your personality. Just every now and then say yes to an invitation which you are not sure about.

For those who are finding it strange, think about where you get your energy from. I get mine from being alone, you probably get yours from being around others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    I know exactly what you mean in terms of the feeling sorry bit. My ex feels really sorry for me because I spend most of my time alone but ultimately I only know a couple of people who I really connect with and then I consider everyone else I know an aquantance. I dont want to get to know you. Ive seen enough to know they are not my type of person. I dont like them. **** off.
    I know exactly what you mean. I get pity from people I used to be close with... but most of the time it's like, well... I like you as mates and whatever, but seriously... clingy, much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    First of all, if she is attractive, she is attractive. I know it sucks, but some people are fortunate in terms of looks, and although we fear being known as stuck up, there is no reason to lie when anonymous on an internet forum.

It should also be possible to go to lunch with someone of the opposite sex without everyone thinking you're a couple., most girls have male friends and vice versa. Only problem is that he is pretending you are a couple. If he didn't, there would be no problem. OP, you need to set him straight and tell him what you wrote here, you have no interest in being known as being romantically involved with a guy who has a girlfriend (or anyone for that matter, when you're single).
    I'm just stating things as they are. Why should I lie about my looks when I get told I'm pretty and cute all the time?
    there's nothing wrong with thinking you're alright looking, hell i think i'm alright looking, but assuming this man is obsessed with you is a little bit arrogant don't you think?. and don't go thinking you're exactly in short supply, there are lots of good looking women, you're not special because of it, just keep that in mind.

going off to get lunch with the same person everyday and with no one else, to me at least, i might suspect something, it's a fairly logical step.

and not denying the rumours is not the same as propagating them, but either way it's down to her to tell this guy that she doesn't like him rather than playing alone.

she is the instigator here, through her lying to this guy the rumours have come up, if she had been honest there wouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor)
    I prefer my own company too. Sometimes it is a good thing, in the case that you save yourself from all the drama and stress involved with friendships, aswell as irritating rants about how 'Ashley is such a cow because she stole my crush' etc. However I have come to realise it's not very wise. What are we going to do when our kids ask us 'Mommy, what memories do you have of your childhood?' Excluding the few memories of seaside holidays from the ages of 3 - 9, once we get to our teenage years we probably won't have much to tell. We only have one shot at our teenage years. Don't waste them.

As long as you get involved with the right sort of people, friends won't kill you. Suggest yourself a dinner with your friend, she will appreciate it, and hopefully stop bothering you with what she thinks are your 'anti-social' problems. I'm sure it will be fun, sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone into a new world is better for you. And as for the guy, have a talk with him warning him that his girlfriend won't like the rumours as much as he is liking it, and if he wants to keep her as a gf he should set the record straight, or you will tell her yourself (a little blackmail to sa ve your reputation is harmless).

Best of luck.
    You aren't understanding where the OP is coming from. She doesn't need or want people around her. And not everyone wants kids.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you like being alone. I think you'd just rather be alone than spend time with anyone you presently know. So it isn't that you like being alone per se, you just can't bear the people you know.

ReputationRep:
    being able to enjoy yourself on your own is great. cos youre not gonna be surrounded by people 24/7 so in the moments alone, at least you know you wont be bored outta your mind

and with that work colleague, next time he asks you to go lunch go with him, then publicly 'break up' with him and storm away, if you can crying so he looks like a right jerk. and perhaps throw your lunch on him?? just a suggestion

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.