Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having only had 3 GSCE's and music industry work experience on my C.V my future looked bleak but I got accepted on a degree course and passed the first year. I'm now at the end of my second year on a different degree course and there are MAJOR communication problems, which has resulted me in having poor attendance. I might as well be honest but not expecting anyone to understand me but I have High Functioning Autism, and I'm in a unit called Group Print Journalism. To keep a really long story short, I have told the associate dean I can't do it due to my condition and they forced me to compromise my health by attending but not participating.

Then I realised my health is more important than attendance as HFA has high levels of anxiety and stress more so than normal students, anyway...the tutors are now driving me insane. To a point where they will say "You are a failure of a student because of poor attendance". Or "We have another student with a similar condition to you but he's always in". Not understanding the fact that I said I CAN'T DO IT...

I have passed all the course until this unit as it has stressed me out so much. I have a week off, but all I keep thinking about is the next meeting which will have 4 tutors in and a student support person. Is there anything bad in admitting I can't do the unit based on my condition? Or am I missing something? Why are they ruling out my health over attendance? What's more important? Any advice?

:eek:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a doctor who understands your condition? A medical note explaining your situation might carry more weight than you just saying you can't do it. If you can't get that, try writing a letter of your own in which you explain exactly what your difficulties are and why you have them might help them understand, and it might be easier to write a letter which you could read out or hand to them than having to think stuff up on the spot.

Also, if you can think of some constructive solutions for your problems and explain them it might make your tutors realise that you do care about your degree and you're trying your best. They probably just don't understand your difficulties and think you don't care about uni or are too lazy to show up.

I hope your meeting goes well.

ReputationRep:
    I don't fully understand the problem here and it's difficult to offer constructive advice without knowing the specifics of your difficulties and the assignments, but doesn't your university have some sort of a disability support service? I'm starting university in September and I have Asperger's so I do know that at most places you can get academic support tailored to your condition (they may even be required by law to offer reasonable accommodations, or at least so I've heard). For example, certain assignments which pose difficulties for those with autism spectrum disorders may - upon agreement with the department - be substituted with assignments that allow you to demonstrate the same learning objectives; verbal presentations may be graded on accuracy of information and fluency of presentation not how well you make eye contact with the listeners, etc. It may take time to put such academic support into place and you will most likely be required to provide them with a medical evidence stating your diagnosis and/or difficulties, but you should get started on accessing this support right now. It may be too late to do anything about your current assignment/meeting difficulty, but you could get help with what's to come in the future. So my suggestion is that you contact your university's disability support service so that they could start negotiating and setting up academic support for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    I don't fully understand the problem here and it's difficult to offer constructive advice without knowing the specifics of your difficulties and the assignments, but doesn't your university have some sort of a disability support service? I'm starting university in September and I have Asperger's so I do know that at most places you can get academic support tailored to your condition (they may even be required by law to offer reasonable accommodations, or at least so I've heard). For example, certain assignments which pose difficulties for those with autism spectrum disorders may - upon agreement with the department - be substituted with assignments that allow you to demonstrate the same learning objectives; verbal presentations may be graded on accuracy of information and fluency of presentation not how well you make eye contact with the listeners, etc. It may take time to put such academic support into place and you will most likely be required to provide them with a medical evidence stating your diagnosis and/or difficulties, but you should get started on accessing this support right now. It may be too late to do anything about your current assignment/meeting difficulty, but you could get help with what's to come in the future. So my suggestion is that you contact your university's disability support service so that they could start negotiating and setting up academic support for you.
    The disability support don't understand the high levels of depression and anxiety this one particular unit causes which involves group work: meeting the group, communicating with the group via facebook, txt and email and understanding it its academic and I'll be marked for it, the pressure gets too much and I can't attend. The disability support asked in front of the associate dean if I feel I can do the unit, and I said I can't and explained why but what they thought was more important. Now I have been told there's going to be a meeting with 5 members of staff and I can't do it. They are not listening so I've got to get a letter from my DR stating how much this one unit has made me ill.

The tutors think at the moment I don't care or don't feel passionate. But they have dealt with it in a way that has made it more of a challenge than it already is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LookingAhead)
    Then I realised my health is more important than attendance as HFA has high levels of anxiety and stress more so than normal students, anyway...the tutors are now driving me insane. To a point where they will say "You are a failure of a student because of poor attendance". Or "We have another student with a similar condition to you but he's always in".
    That would wind me up something chronic! As if you can compare people like that :facepalm:

I'm sorry you aren't getting the support you need from your universities disability support I wonder if you contact them again and let them know how you feel they might be able to change their approach. It's possible they don't know how best to help you and so it helps to be explicit when asking for support in my experience.

Feel free to PM me if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    That would wind me up something chronic! As if you can compare people like that :facepalm:

I'm sorry you aren't getting the support you need from your universities disability support I wonder if you contact them again and let them know how you feel they might be able to change their approach. It's possible they don't know how best to help you and so it helps to be explicit when asking for support in my experience.

Feel free to PM me if you need to.
    Thanks. Its a shame its got so bad, just needed to vent. The department are robotic and she asks me what I want her to say and do when I call? Like I know? I could go on and on but won't. People who don't have this condition won't understand but its like everyone with Autism is on the same spectrum when the whole point of a spectrum is its varying degrees.

ReputationRep:
    The disability support don't understand the high levels of depression and anxiety this one particular unit causes which involves group work: meeting the group, communicating with the group via facebook, txt and email and understanding it its academic and I'll be marked for it, the pressure gets too much and I can't attend. The disability support asked in front of the associate dean if I feel I can do the unit, and I said I can't and explained why but what they thought was more important. Now I have been told there's going to be a meeting with 5 members of staff and I can't do it. They are not listening so I've got to get a letter from my DR stating how much this one unit has made me ill.

The tutors think at the moment I don't care or don't feel passionate. But they have dealt with it in a way that has made it more of a challenge than it already is.
    Wow, those people at the disability support must be idiots. Group work is one of the main difficulties for people with autism spectrum disorders. I mean, it's as much of a "hallmark" things as is lack of eye contact.

Anyway, if they won't offer the help you need then maybe you can still get it some other way? University of Sheffield - which is where I'm going - states that "if you struggle with group work because of an autistic spectrum disorder, in conjunction with your department we may be able to negotiate an alternative form of assessment but this will depend upon individual circumstances. Alternatives could include smaller groups, i.e. 1:1 or another form of assessment which enables you to achieve the same learning outcomes". What I'm thinking is that if the "geniuses" at your university haven't offered such alternatives then maybe suggest them yourself. Or have your doctor suggest some alternative assessment methods in that letter. Of course they need to be thought through - you should probably state exactly which aspects of the current assessment format are unsuitable for you, why they're unsuitable, what kind of alternatives you think would work, why they would work better for you while at the same time still allowing you to achieve the same learning outcomes, etc. They will probably be less likely to dismiss your concerns and ideas if you can offer concrete answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    Wow, those people at the disability support must be idiots. Group work is one of the main difficulties for people with autism spectrum disorders. I mean, it's as much of a "hallmark" things as is lack of eye contact.

Anyway, if they won't offer the help you need then maybe you can still get it some other way? University of Sheffield - which is where I'm going - states that "if you struggle with group work because of an autistic spectrum disorder, in conjunction with your department we may be able to negotiate an alternative form of assessment but this will depend upon individual circumstances. Alternatives could include smaller groups, i.e. 1:1 or another form of assessment which enables you to achieve the same learning outcomes". What I'm thinking is that if the "geniuses" at your university haven't offered such alternatives then maybe suggest them yourself. Or have your doctor suggest some alternative assessment methods in that letter. Of course they need to be thought through - you should probably state exactly which aspects of the current assessment format are unsuitable for you, why they're unsuitable, what kind of alternatives you think would work, why they would work better for you while at the same time still allowing you to achieve the same learning outcomes, etc. They will probably be less likely to dismiss your concerns and ideas if you can offer concrete answers.
    Yes, and I start a work placement, the disability person doesn't come back from her holiday break on the 18th April, when I need to meet with the unit leader by Friday, organise a letter from my DR don't know how long that will take, and get an extension for my essay plus try to get them to change the question. AHHH!!! Its becoming unbearable. I'm doing everyones head in, I can't bare to see anyone I know because all that comes out my mouth is Uni problems. I would love to be able to write an essay on Postmodernism and Architecture but its not happening. My Dad suggests I should be a failure, but what have I done so badly if I have a condition passed all the work attended some lectures, seen teachers, kept in contact, but nothing is good enough! Or its enough is enough! I'm going insane!

ReputationRep:
    Having only had 3 GSCE's and music industry work experience on my C.V my future looked bleak but I got accepted on a degree course and passed the first year. I'm now at the end of my second year on a different degree course and there are MAJOR communication problems, which has resulted me in having poor attendance. I might as well be honest but not expecting anyone to understand me but I have High Functioning Autism, and I'm in a unit called Group Print Journalism. To keep a really long story short, I have told the associate dean I can't do it due to my condition and they forced me to compromise my health by attending but not participating.

Then I realised my health is more important than attendance as HFA has high levels of anxiety and stress more so than normal students, anyway...the tutors are now driving me insane. To a point where they will say "You are a failure of a student because of poor attendance". Or "We have another student with a similar condition to you but he's always in". Not understanding the fact that I said I CAN'T DO IT...

I have passed all the course until this unit as it has stressed me out so much. I have a week off, but all I keep thinking about is the next meeting which will have 4 tutors in and a student support person. Is there anything bad in admitting I can't do the unit based on my condition? Or am I missing something? Why are they ruling out my health over attendance? What's more important? Any advice?

:eek:
    :confused:
    Do you have tutor you like and trust that you can talk to about this or someone at your uni who might have more understanding of your condition who you could speak to? I don't know much about HFA is it something that could be used as an extenuating circumstance just for that unit?

ReputationRep:
    Very simple: Get a doctors note, (which they MUST give you if you have been diagnosed with this) and your uni HAS TO accept it. If they don't accept it at first just climb up the ladder of authority.

ReputationRep:
    I'm speaking with my DR tomorrow. I have got a Students Union person finding out whats going on because I can't actually talk to anyone about it which is why I've come on the forum. I'm not sure if I can survive another year at Uni it worries me and those closest to me a lot. Even if I do pass the 3rd year I'll get a 3:3. I've been predicted failure or low grades from the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    I hate group work because people are idiots.

Pity me.

thx. : ]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I hate group work because people are idiots.

Pity me.

thx. : ]
    I guess you are one of those ignorant students probably doing fashion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Do you have a doctor who understands your condition? A medical note explaining your situation might carry more weight than you just saying you can't do it. If you can't get that, try writing a letter of your own in which you explain exactly what your difficulties are and why you have them might help them understand, and it might be easier to write a letter which you could read out or hand to them than having to think stuff up on the spot.

Also, if you can think of some constructive solutions for your problems and explain them it might make your tutors realise that you do care about your degree and you're trying your best. They probably just don't understand your difficulties and think you don't care about uni or are too lazy to show up.

I hope your meeting goes well.
    I've got a medical note but the unit leader doesn't want it. She's told me not to worry about the unit and to focus on my work placement but they still haven't decided if I'm going to pass the unit as my general attendance is really poor. Who knows I might end up leaving and getting a job on my work placement? I don't really know either, if she doesn't want my medical letter, with no valid reason why, I guess they'll fail me, and if I have to re-sit the group work it looks like I'll be put in the 1st years group when they enter the second year, which would be a nightmare. Or if they pass me, having produced all the work and passed, and completed my work placement then hopefully it will be alright. I'm just not very good at facing situations that are scary! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I guess you are one of those ignorant students probably doing fashion.
    Hahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a medical note but the unit leader doesn't want it. She's told me not to worry about the unit and to focus on my work placement but they still haven't decided if I'm going to pass the unit as my general attendance is really poor. Who knows I might end up leaving and getting a job on my work placement? I don't really know either, if she doesn't want my medical letter, with no valid reason why, I guess they'll fail me, and if I have to re-sit the group work it looks like I'll be put in the 1st years group when they enter the second year, which would be a nightmare. Or if they pass me, having produced all the work and passed, and completed my work placement then hopefully it will be alright. I'm just not very good at facing situations that are scary! :eek:
    That's weird that they don't even want your note. If I were you I'd lodge a complaint about the way they've been treating you, it sounds like they've been really unhelpful.

I hope you pass and it all gets sorted out soon.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.