Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear all, I will appreciate your advice.

I have been accepted in the following master programmes:

LSE: MSc Accounting & Finance
    Warwick: MSc Finance
    RSM: MSc Finance & Investments
    Vienna University: MSc Quantitative Finance
    Lancaster: MSc Finance

I am graduating from American University in Bulgaria, double major Economics and Business Administration, GPA 3.89, GMAT 710 + 1 finance related internship + 1 investment banking/financial markets internship.

My goal is to go into investment baking after the master programme.

I am trying to decide which offer to take.

Warwick and LSE would imply taking a 20,000 pounds loan but the question is: Is it worth the risk as compared to RSM?
    How strong is LSE: MSc Accounting & Finance vs. Warwick: MSc Finance for BB IB?
    What are the chances of breaking into IB in London from RSM?
    Any opinion about Vienna University: MSc Quantitative Finance?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Getting into IB in LONDON with an RSM master's degree isn't going to be easy, but it is possible. You just need to exert more effort because the alumni network isn't that strong. But it can be done, nonetheless.

Between LSE A&F and Warwick MSc Finance, I'd say they both have equal opportunities for IB employment success rates. The LSE A&F isn't really geared for a career in IB, but the LSE name would make it possible. Most MSc Finance from Warwick join in banking and finance industry, mostly as FO.

My advice to you then is to choose which program you like better, and which university ambiance and location you'd like to spend a year in. LSE is in the heart of London, a megacity with bustling nightlife, excitement and fun. Warwick is a campus university, somewhat isolated, but student-run activities are abundant and are what would usually create a sense of oneness and belongingness amongst the students. In the process, they tend to look after each other, and support each other. Warwick alumni are tight.

Both schools usually host career placement programs, and are usually visited by big name employers. Both are top 5 universities targeted by the largest number of top employers in 2010-2011. Warwick is 2nd this year, right behind Cambridge.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf

ReputationRep:
    i think vienna universty is best..

ReputationRep:
    If money was not an issue and you want to go to london then LSE>Warwick>RSM. I think you should not even consider the others.

However, given that money is a problem, there is a point in taking the LSE/Warwick offers, if you have some experience. If you have not worked anything finance related, even LSE might not get you interviews. If your internships were at Bulgaria, but in institutions such as Citi, BNP Paribas, ING or the Big 4, I think LSE will be your best option. However, if they werew at uknown companies you risk loosing 20,000 quid and going back to Bulgaria. LSE alone on your CV wont get you the job.

I am almost in the same boat as you: LSE Finace and Private Equity offer and expecting reply from Oxford, HEC Paris, RSM and ESADE. If i dont get Oxford, I will take LSE, but it will be a nightmare for my family. I have talked to some current MSc Finance/Finance and Private Equity students and got really positive response regarding the two programmes. If you start applying early (Sep-Oct) and have some experience there is a great chance you will get a job. RSM has a great reputation, but I am not sure the transition to london will be swift. Imagine the flights for the interviews/assessment centres. I will try to find some ppl on the RSM programme and will share the insight.

ReputationRep:
    I have spoken to several finance professionals and they all told me to go for LSE however I have some doubts about the MSc Acc & Fin as some people considered it sub par when compared to other LSE MSc.

On top of all that I do know some people at RSM, same background as mine getting offers at Royal Bank of Scotland in the Netherlands? My investment banking/financial markets internship was at UniCredit so it is not a BB IB.

I am also trying to figure out how critical is the Dutch language for finance or IB positions in the Netherlands, in case I go for the RSM offer?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of putting Acc&Fin as my first choice at LSE. Accounting is critical for financial modeling and I think the programme is really suitable for investment banking. Also, the course is quite old, compared to say MSc Finance and there are plenty of alumni working in London. The only problem is the large class size (i.e. 200 people).

Try to get an internship this summer at say Citigroup or BNP Paribas in Sofia.

ReputationRep:
    dont be misled, accounting is very relevant to IB just as economics is.most of the talk about lse acc n fin being sub par are by asians, i believe. In asia, especially in india and china, any program not massively quant is considered easy and not very relevant. Have you watched the movie 3 idiots?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.