Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got my practical test on wednesday and I know I'm not going to pass, I don't feel ready, and my instructor is also bricking it too.

I've already changed the test date twice.

Thing is, when I was learning with BSM (Had around 70 hours), I was really confident. Everything was spot on, and it was rare that I made mistakes. I was so eager and keen to take my test. I asked my BSM instructor if I was test standard and he always said "yes". When I used to ask for feedback at the end of the lesson, he kept saying we'll go over it next lesson which he never did. This went on for around 25 lessons, I know I should of ditched him so that's my fault wasting money with him.

After calling it quits with BSM, I had a huge gap. I didn't have any lessons for about 3/4 months.

My friend then recommended me her driving instructor who she had passed with. I've had around 35 lessons with him. He doesn't have any patience with me at all, he shouts at me when I make a mistake and to be honest, makes the situation worse resulting in more mistakes. It's like, yes I have made a mistake, can you be quiet now please before I make another one? He keeps going on and on, therefore I get stressed and lose concentration, making another mistake, resulting getting shouted at again.

It seems I'm getting worse and worse every lesson and we're both panicking about my test. I'm awful at roundabouts, I hesitate too much and I even take the wrong exit. My 3 point turns are pretty much crap, and it feels like I've just started learning. We haven't even done bay parking yet! We've barely covered any independent driving at all.

I was no way like this with BSM, I was a really good driver and could kick myself for not taking the test when I felt ready. Everything was all second nature, and I did everything calmly and smoothly. Now, it's just one big mad rush with the gears, and all abit last minute.com that I make tons of mistakes. I think the more lessons I have with him, the more I get nervous just incase he shouts.

I've got a lesson today at 3:45 and then a lesson before my test on Wednesday. I just know I'm not going to pass. Every lesson, he tells me about 7/8 times "That would of been an instant fail".

I know I should push it forward, but it's really expensive and I can't afford any more lessons. I also have a ton of pressure from my family, especially my dad. He's paid about £1, 500 on lessons for me, probably even more. He paid for both me and my brother, we started learning at the same time, and he passed over a year ago! They're both like "C'mon Kim, you should of passed by now!" My dads getting really frustrated with me. He went made when I pushed my last test date forward.

The only thing that gives me the smallest hope is that my friend who passed with him, well he never told her she was ready. She just booked the test on her own accord. He was telling her the same things he tells me and she told me I'll okay, and that the test was "easy".

I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it is confidence. To a degree you have to get the confidence from your examiner but a fair bit is also down to you. Have you forgotten everything that you learnt from your BSM instructor/ Is it a possibility to go out in your own car and not be under pressure, and to work out the turn in the road in your own time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimmeh)
    I've got my practical test on wednesday and I know I'm not going to pass, I don't feel ready, and my instructor is also bricking it too.

I've already changed the test date twice.

Thing is, when I was learning with BSM (Had around 70 hours), I was really confident. Everything was spot on, and it was rare that I made mistakes. I was so eager and keen to take my test. I asked my BSM instructor if I was test standard and he always said "yes". When I used to ask for feedback at the end of the lesson, he kept saying we'll go over it next lesson which he never did. This went on for around 25 lessons, I know I should of ditched him so that's my fault wasting money with him.

After calling it quits with BSM, I had a huge gap. I didn't have any lessons for about 3/4 months.

My friend then recommended me her driving instructor who she had passed with. I've had around 35 lessons with him. He doesn't have any patience with me at all, he shouts at me when I make a mistake and to be honest, makes the situation worse resulting in more mistakes. It's like, yes I have made a mistake, can you be quiet now please before I make another one? He keeps going on and on, therefore I get stressed and lose concentration, making another mistake, resulting getting shouted at again.

It seems I'm getting worse and worse every lesson and we're both panicking about my test. I'm awful at roundabouts, I hesitate too much and I even take the wrong exit. My 3 point turns are pretty much crap, and it feels like I've just started learning. We haven't even done bay parking yet! We've barely covered any independent driving at all.

I was no way like this with BSM, I was a really good driver and could kick myself for not taking the test when I felt ready. Everything was all second nature, and I did everything calmly and smoothly. Now, it's just one big mad rush with the gears, and all abit last minute.com that I make tons of mistakes. I think the more lessons I have with him, the more I get nervous just incase he shouts.

I've got a lesson today at 3:45 and then a lesson before my test on Wednesday. I just know I'm not going to pass. Every lesson, he tells me about 7/8 times "That would of been an instant fail".

I know I should push it forward, but it's really expensive and I can't afford any more lessons. I also have a ton of pressure from my family, especially my dad. He's paid about £1, 500 on lessons for me, probably even more. He paid for both me and my brother, we started learning at the same time, and he passed over a year ago! They're both like "C'mon Kim, you should of passed by now!" My dads getting really frustrated with me. He went made when I pushed my last test date forward.

The only thing that gives me the smallest hope is that my friend who passed with him, well he never told her she was ready. She just booked the test on her own accord. He was telling her the same things he tells me and she told me I'll okay, and that the test was "easy".

I just don't know what to do.
    ...Pause...Relax...Calm...

Therein lies 'what to do'. You are getting far too uptight about it and just need to take stock. It sounds as though you are under intolerable pressure from so may different areas and if you go into your test trying to please everyone, you're going to struggle.

The more important a test becomes, the bigger it will be in your psyche and you will not be able to drive naturally. The issue is that the driving test is the DSA's rubber stamp to your driving ability. If your driving overall is up to standard, you will pass. If not, you won't. It's not about how well you drive on the day, it's about how well you drive when not on your test. By being told that 'that is an instant fail' your instructor is doing you a disservice. That shows that the test is the be all and end all when in fact it should be about driving well.

Do this for you and not for anyone else. Remember that it is your driving test, not your instructor's, your dad's, your friend's... The examiner is interested in whether you, on your own, will be safe behind the wheel of your car and there won't be anyone to criticise or shout at you. Adjust your thinking so that you realise you are driving for you and no-one else.

Leave your test where it is. Go and do it without expectations or excessive hope. Depending on the result, and you never know you may pass, you can then consider what to do next.

ReputationRep:
    Have you practised with your dad instead of your instructor? That might give you a confidence boost to not have your instructor yelling all the time. My instructor was really good so I can't really comment, but I did find going out with my parents (especially my mum suprisingly seeing as she doesn't like being in the passanger seat) really helpful.

Just turn up and do the test. If you fail: find a new instructor (try researching on the internet for ones in your area with the highest pass percentage) or if you can't afford this your parents and carry on; if you pass then good for you. It's not the end of the world though.
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing really to practice on the independent driving section but you really do need to learn the bay park! its essential that you do for the test! tell your examiner on your lesson today that you want to practice mainly on your bay parking, it took me a while to master it but I got there eventually

ReputationRep:
    I don't have my own car nor am I insured on any other car to get some private practice in.

Anyway, had my lesson today and it was probably the best one I've had since the BSM days. Of course I made some silly mistakes but they were no way as bad as usual. I handled roundabouts a lot more better, and had better judgment on when to pull out. However, the roads were really quiet today so that's probably why.

I did one left reverse which I messed up (Forgot to do my checks, and came in wide). My instructor said it was atrocious, which is the truth.

I did one turn in the road, which went okay.

We continued to do more driving which was also okay.

We then went to find another street to do another left hand reverse but cars were blocking the way so we couldn't, then I drove home.

Test is on wednesday, no more lessons until then. I'm scared, but not as scared as I was. What's whorrying is that I still haven't done bay park, but we just didn't have time to get it in.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have my own car nor am I insured on any other car to get some private practice in.

Anyway, had my lesson today and it was probably the best one I've had since the BSM days. Of course I made some silly mistakes but they were no way as bad as usual. I handled roundabouts a lot more better, and had better judgment on when to pull out. However, the roads were really quiet today so that's probably why.

I did one left reverse which I messed up (Forgot to do my checks, and came in wide). My instructor said it was atrocious, which is the truth.

We then went to find another street to do another left hand reverse but cars were blocking the way so we couldn't, then I drove home.

Test is on wednesday, no more lessons until then. I'm scared, but not as scared as I was. What's whorrying is that I still haven't done bay park, but we just didn't have time to get it in.
    Nevermind, I was making mistakes 5mins before my test and still passed eg not enough observation & messing up my LHR and parallel park.

If you can bay park in 1 car you should be able to park any. just remember if it`s a bigger car to turn the wheel sooner. Thats all i did and my park was fine on test even although it was the 1st one i had done after a car change.

You`ll do fine !!!

ReputationRep:

I hope you do pass, but if you do not maybe think about getting a different instructor, as it sounds to me he is making the situation worse.

Driving is stressful and expensive.

With the manoeuvres remember they do not need to be *spot on*. They just have to be somewhat okay. The way my instructor told me is that do not sweat it, even if you mess it up entirely (if YOU think you mess it up) because half the time the examiner may be OK with it. Nobody is ever going to get it spot on. Coming in wide? Before you stop entirely, try and correct it. The examiner is NOT going to mark you down for correcting your mistakes.

Remember that when you are asked to do a manoeuvre once you've stopped, applied the handbrake etc on, that's the end. Not after. Not before. But the moment you've come to a stop. So do whatever you need to correct it before, as long as it's safe to do so.

The idea of the test is to prove you have some basic standard of driving skills, not that your the world's best driver.

I passed second time, my lesson just before my test was horrible - a lot of it is nerves.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

My instructor told me not to apply the handbrake when I stop and do checks on the reverse around the corner.

I've bought some Kalms tablets, so hopefully they should ease the nerves a little. I'm so scared lol.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.