Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in AS studying Eng Lit, History and Psychology. Lit is exhausting and dull. I want to drop it after AS and do a full A level in either Poltics or Economics. I want to apply for Poltics and Intl. Realtions at uni. So what will be easier in terms of self study? Will be getting notes from mates but mostly doing things on my own. I got an A* in GCSE Economics if thats any indicator although I'm terrible at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Also anyone who did both??

ReputationRep:
    yup i have done both...
    what type of help you need..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K Gerome)
    yup i have done both...
    what type of help you need..
    Which have you found easier and more interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Okay anyone else??

ReputationRep:
    I do Economics it is amazing I loveeeeeeeee it..............I wish I had also taking Politics as they really do compliment each other but in terms of respect according to Cambridge Economics is a strong academic subjects whilst politics is less so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampire90210)
    I'm currently in AS studying Eng Lit, History and Psychology. Lit is exhausting and dull. I want to drop it after AS and do a full A level in either Poltics or Economics. I want to apply for Poltics and Intl. Realtions at uni. So what will be easier in terms of self study? Will be getting notes from mates but mostly doing things on my own. I got an A* in GCSE Economics if thats any indicator although I'm terrible at Maths.
    Do you have any friends that take either subject?
    You could probably borrow their books for a week and go through the textbook/syllabus and see which one you like better?
    I really enjoyed Economics at A'level so it was easier for me to study so if you enjoy Politics more then maybe you'll find that easier.

ReputationRep:
    I do Government & Politics and I would say Politics is pretty easy as long as you read the textbook and remember it. Exam questions look pretty simple as well...

ReputationRep:
    There is very little in terms of maths in economics A-level so that shouldn't be a problem if you take it, the hardest you will encounter is working out a percentage change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampire90210)
    It is possible to apply for Politics/IR at University without either Economics or Govt/Pol at AS/A level. Indeed, many candidates do not have either subject when applying.

In terms of the math - Economics A level features very little mathematics - none of which should worry you if you have a C grade in GCSE Maths. Simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and appropriate use of the increment sign (to show a change) is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel obliged to take Politics because you want to do it at uni, I took History, Media and English lit as A levels and got into an IR course (switched to Pol in second year). It's by no means essential.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.