Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought this may be the best place, but feel free to move it.

I'm pretty happy with my body in that it's the best it could be i.e. I'm a good weight for my height etc, but I have one issue and that's my hips. However much I exercise I can't seem to do anything about them (I'm referring to love-handles as such). I didn't think it was really a question of losing weight as I don't really think I should lose any.

All in all, I was wondering if anyone new any exercises that cater for toning hips as the ones I have tried don't seem to work.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    The twist? Seriously I've never heard of any such exercise but good luck with it if that's what you want.

I wouldn't be too worried about it though.

ReputationRep:
    bumpy bump

ReputationRep:
    You'd be better doing something to tone up rather than to lose weight.. for example a bit of weight training. That way, you should burn calories (therefore lose some fat) but build muscle at the same time so you don't lose weight.

Unfortunately, everyone has "problem areas" and often we just have to learn to love ourselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    You'd be better doing something to tone up rather than to lose weight.. for example a bit of weight training. That way, you should burn calories (therefore lose some fat) but build muscle at the same time so you don't lose weight.

Unfortunately, everyone has "problem areas" and often we just have to learn to love ourselves!
    Yeah my problem area's are from head to toe cest la vie!

Anyway try some Twist Crunches

1. Lie on your back with your knees bent.

2. Carefully lift your head up and place your hands behind your head without locking your fingers together.

3. Twist to the right bringing your left elbow to your right knee. Extend your left leg out.

4. Now twist back to the left bringing your right elbow to your left knee. Extend your right leg out.

Do 10-20 of these depending upon ability recover and repeat. Star with 3 reps but increase, this will only tone the underlaying muscle.

If there is a layer of fat, as there is on 99% of people then you will need to do CV work to try and remove that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipless)
    Yeah my problem area's are from head to toe cest la vie!
    Haha, you and me both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Haha, you and me both!
    Glad im not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellobonjour)
    I thought this may be the best place, but feel free to move it.

I'm pretty happy with my body in that it's the best it could be i.e. I'm a good weight for my height etc, but I have one issue and that's my hips. However much I exercise I can't seem to do anything about them (I'm referring to love-handles as such). I didn't think it was really a question of losing weight as I don't really think I should lose any.

All in all, I was wondering if anyone new any exercises that cater for toning hips as the ones I have tried don't seem to work.

Thank you!
    Hi :-) You say that you're pretty happy with your body and you have a good height/weight ratio, so I honestly wouldn't be worrying too much about your 'lovehandles'! I'm a fella and although I have been eating well and doing stacks of exercise for 6 months, I have the same problem so can sympathise ;-)

Like a couple of other people have said, the best thing to do is to concentrate on fat-burning CV exercise and a bit of general core toning stuff (sit up twists and the dreaded 'plank' ;-) and free weights etc) - it's very difficult to target an area specifically.

Its worth bearing in mind that you don't need to aim for the ridiculously and unhealthily skinny image of the female body that is portrayed on tv and in magazines; the vast majority of fellas (myself included!) would walk right past a painfully thin girl without a second glance, but would definitely look twice at a nice, curvy, well proportioned girl... well maybe more than twice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipless)
    Yeah my problem area's are from head to toe cest la vie! !
    Moi too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinglemeister)
    Hi :-) You say that you're pretty happy with your body and you have a good height/weight ratio, so I honestly wouldn't be worrying too much about your 'lovehandles'! I'm a fella and although I have been eating well and doing stacks of exercise for 6 months, I have the same problem so can sympathise ;-)

Like a couple of other people have said, the best thing to do is to concentrate on fat-burning CV exercise and a bit of general core toning stuff (sit up twists and the dreaded 'plank' ;-) and free weights etc) - it's very difficult to target an area specifically.

Its worth bearing in mind that you don't need to aim for the ridiculously and unhealthily skinny image of the female body that is portrayed on tv and in magazines; the vast majority of fellas (myself included!) would walk right past a painfully thin girl without a second glance, but would definitely look twice at a nice, curvy, well proportioned girl... well maybe more than twice!
    Thank you for this It's really helpful. XX

ReputationRep:
    Do oblique crunches

Eat less simple carbs

Drink more water

NEXT

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else want to add the words "don't lie" to the end of the thread title?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.