Turn on thread page Beta

No gas pedal rubber, will it fail MOT? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I've been told that having no rubber on my gas pedal means that my car will instantly fail its MOT.

Now, here's the problem. I have a Peugeot 106 and they don't come with with a gas pedal rubber as standard and loads of people don't have them. Furthermore, when I took it in for a service, the man dealt with everything that needed changing and he said nothing about the pedal rubber so I'm starting to wonder if I actually need one?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I know that a friend's car failed for not having rubber on the brake pedal. However it cost her exactly £1.99 to have it sorted (at the garage she had the MOT done), so even if it does fail on that, you are not exactly looking at a huge expense.

Edit: Quick search on the internet says you should be alright, it is just the brake and clutch that you need rubber on.

ReputationRep:
    dont think so my dads cars rubber has come off the peddle its still pretty wide tho, passed mot last week, if its just a stick then u might be better of jus gettin one and puttin it on just incase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    I don't know, I know that a friend's car failed for not having rubber on the brake pedal. However it cost her exactly £1.99 to have it sorted (at the garage she had the MOT done), so even if it does fail on that, you are not exactly looking at a huge expense.
    Thanks for the reply.

See now this is the problem, because there isn't actually a gas pedal rubber for a Peugeot 106, I don't know where to get one from. I don't know if I trust those universal pedal covers either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umop apisdn)
    Thanks for the reply.

See now this is the problem, because there isn't actually a gas pedal rubber for a Peugeot 106, I don't know where to get one from. I don't know if I trust those universal pedal covers either.
    You should be ok, worst case, you put it in for MOT, then if it did fail you can see how much the garage will fit one for. As per my edit above, I don't think it will be an issue

ReputationRep:
    Not unless the pedals don't react properly.

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    dont think so my dads cars rubber has come off the peddle its still pretty wide tho, passed mot last week, if its just a stick then u might be better of jus gettin one and puttin it on just incase

(Original post by rmhumphries)
    You should be ok, worst case, you put it in for MOT, then if it did fail you can see how much the garage will fit one for. As per my edit above, I don't think it will be an issue

(Original post by Liverpool's Number 9)
    Not unless the pedals don't react properly.

You'll be fine.

Thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    youll be fine. the brake pedal is the only pedal that it is compulsory to have a rubber on in modern cars.

I seriously doubt a modern manufacturer would sell a car that didnt comply with construction and use regulations and hence incapable of passing MoT.

ReputationRep:
    Nope you'll be fine.
    Most of my cars were never fitted with rubber covers from new. Make sure you've got one on the brake and clutch pedal, though.

BTW, it's a "throttle" or an "accelerator" pedal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.