Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

My wife is disabled (receives DLA [disability living allowance]) and I am entitled (but do not receive because I am in education) to carers allowance.

As a result of the above we are also entitled but do not receive because of educational status, income support.

Now, once one finishes exams, one is no longer in full time education right, so therefore same rules should apply as to when we was not in said education.

However, I am unsure as to weather "they" would see it like that because in one way you are still enrolled on the course are you not?

Hope somebody might be able to clear this up.

In short, can a student receive benefits while they are on summer holiday/break/vacation etc

ReputationRep:
    Hi Murphy, this is a question I have looked into myself as am going from long term unemployed to being a full time student on an HND course!

Now as the HND is over 2 years of full time study, I will not be entitled to claim for benefits during the summer break as I am still considered to be a student ( due to being on an academic holiday awaiting return to studies )

Put it like this, say you are working, and you put in for a holiday of 2 weeks, you don't then go to the social and claim for 2 weeks unemployment.

Only after all studying is completed can you then claim for income support / carers allowance.

PS: Isn't there a top up to the student grant for Carers ??? Have a look for that, just in case.

Hope this helps a little, sorry if it isn't the answer you want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    While what you say makes sense, I did find this to throw a spanner in the works lol

http://www.york.ac.uk/students/housi...fits/vacation/

ReputationRep:
    OUCH ! ... Of course I was responding as a single person residing in my own house.

Did not even think of looking at the dependencies aspect of it. Nice Find

ReputationRep:
    Well I would apply anyway, at least for JSA. I mean you are (probably) going to look for a job over the summer anyway so surly you can get job seekers, as you are a job seeker...

ReputationRep:
    Here ya go :-)

http://www.bris.ac.uk/studentfunding/benefits.html

ReputationRep:
    Since posting this thread I have gone through the benefit system and the answer is simply yes.

Student finance is only lasting upto June 31st so after then you can apply for benefits if needed.

Cheers

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.