Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to the gym for the first time in years.. i was in for about an hour and a half, i probably spent about 40 minutes on the weights. My arm is constantly achy, every time i move it the pain is severe and i cant even lift a glass to my mouth

Obviously i know that it sounds like a 'boohoo man up and take the pain' scenario but having arthritis and having had 2 knee operations (keyhole and a spatial frame) i am at a far higher pain threshold than any of you achy muscle gymheads

Jokes aside, i cant actually move it too much, it is constantly painful just above the elbow and up towards the shoulder..if anyone far more experienced in the gym could inform me why only one of my arms feels like this (i am right handed) if stationary weights and machines could do any serious damage or if anyone else has ever had the same sort of sensation?

Ty guys

ReputationRep:
    How long since you went to the gym? Did you warm up? What were you eating/drinking? Give it a week and if it's still not right then go and see a doctor.

My shoulder is killing me at the moment for a different reason but I'm leaving it for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    Too much masturbation.

All jokes aside:

(Original post by Malism)
    I went to the gym for the first time in years.. i was in for about an hour and a half, i probably spent about 40 minutes on the weights.
    There's your answer. You need to build up to doing it. No point lifting weights that are too heavy for you if they're gonna mean you can't recover well afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    Is that your ****ing hand?

ReputationRep:
    To much bating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_Beeston)
    Too much masturbation.

All jokes aside:

There's your answer. You need to build up to doing it. No point lifting weights that are too heavy for you if they're gonna mean you can't recover well afterwards!

My brother said the same lol, i found what i could lift and took ten off although i did get abit cocky towards the end, no one to blame but myself! ty

(Original post by Liverpool's Number 9)
    How long since you went to the gym? Did you warm up? What were you eating/drinking? Give it a week and if it's still not right then go and see a doctor.

My shoulder is killing me at the moment for a different reason but I'm leaving it for the time being.
    I went on Thursday, usually the pain goes but it feels a little more intense today! I will deal with it as my brother (who goes to the gym) thinks im being a pussy as i can still move one arm!

I did warm up, i was drinking water through the session an i ate an hour and a bit before like i do when i go swimming.

ReputationRep:

My brother said the same lol, i found what i could lift and took ten off although i did get abit cocky towards the end, no one to blame but myself! ty

I went on Thursday, usually the pain goes but it feels a little more intense today! I will deal with it as my brother (who goes to the gym) thinks im being a pussy as i can still move one arm!

I did warm up, i was drinking water through the session an i ate an hour and a bit before like i do when i go swimming.
    It's probably a strain but could be a pull, hard to tell really but whatever way you'll be sound. Get to the docs next week and get it checked out don't be assed what your bro says.

ReputationRep:
    lol, so instead of going to hospital to get it checked out just in case, you go on TSR and presumably type this post with only your left hand? makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Was their brusing on your arm ? If so would indicate a mild - serious strain.
    Make sure you warm up.
    And i would get it checked out Just in case, with injuries caused by weightlifting the longer you leave it the worse. Just go your gp

ReputationRep:
    Its just DOMS, get the **** over it, you'll feel worse in the morning then it will get better

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a strain?

I think I might have mildly strained my wrist as it hurts to extend/twist my wrist. Furthermore, its really stiff in the morning and I get this disgusting feeling that the tendons are moving over eachother. Its not swollen but it hurts to put pressure on the area of the wrist near my thumb.

ReputationRep:
    Friend of mine injured himself playing football; haemotoma and pulled a lot of his thigh muscles. Go to the doctor; he didn't, and he was in crutches for a week. I'd bet few here are medically trained, or qualified to comment. Get yourself down to your GP and get it looked at by a professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Its just DOMS, get the **** over it, you'll feel worse in the morning then it will get better
    It was this

I forgot the feeling of muscle pain and was being a pussy lol, I hit it hard tonight but i warmed up/stretched and cooled down properly so i wont be unable to move again.. i hope..

ReputationRep:
    It was this

I forgot the feeling of muscle pain and was being a pussy lol, I hit it hard tonight but i warmed up/stretched and cooled down properly so i wont be unable to move again.. i hope..
    I was the same when I started training last september, It'll get better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.