The Student Room Group

abysmal result in AS Philosophy, on my UCAS?

Before sixth form, in my old school when I was doing GCSE's, one teacher put out the idea of teaching AS Philosophy with a full course ethics gcse. The ethics easy of course, but the AS was taught so badly, along with the fact we wernt that mature enough and I didnt really enjoy Philosophy then, I got a U :frown:

But now at sixth form, as a personal interest I started to love Philosophy for some reason, and I am considering choosing Phil-Pol at Uni.. will I have to put that U on my UCAS as it was taken in year 11, or if I have do, what will Uni's think of it? Will they instantly turn me away?
Reply 1
You have to declare all grades - but a U isn't a grade. So no, you don't have to include it.
As above, U's don't count as grades, which is why you're pretty much always better off getting a U than an E
Reply 3
A U is a fail. Therefore you have not earned an AS. So you do not need to declare it as you do not declare ASs that you haven't got. :h: Don't worry about it.
Reply 4
NO don't put it on your form for goodness sake! haha, most people don't do philosophy before degree level, so don't worry about not having it.
Reply 5
A very simple rule to remember is that any pass mark must be put on an application. So A*, A, B, C, D and E must be added for all AS and A-levels. But because a U is a fail grade, it doesn't count. You simply didn't get awarded an AS in Philosophy.

Plus, if you did one exam in a subject (i.e.Critical Thinking or General Studies) but did really badly in it, like and E so you gave it up, then you don't need to list that either, because you didn't complete the full AS course. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending