Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i come across this question but totally have no clue to this one. please give me some hints. thanks

http://www.badongo.com/pic/12781970
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kingsclub)
    hi, i come across this question but totally have no clue to this one. please give me some hints. thanks

Ok, how much do you know about parametric equations and volumes of revoultion?

You'll need to convert the two parametric equations into one Cartesian equation in the form y=....

ReputationRep:
    so far i've only learnt how to find volumes of a single equation using disc and shell methods...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    so far i've only learnt how to find volumes of a single equation using disc and shell methods...
    I've never heard of those methods...

If you don't know about parametric equations, then I don't think you'll be able to do this. I'm not entirely sure, though.

(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Help? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Help? :puppyeyes:
    Somehow, I've never come across integrating the parametric equation of any curve in maths before but I'll try my best.

Have you ever come across the formula for the volume generated by rotating a section of a curve (in cartesian form) completely about the x-axis? I think it'd be similar to dealing with that but instead you'll need to consider:

V=\pi \displaystyle\int ^{\frac{\pi}{3}}_{-\frac{\pi}{3}} \left(y^2 \dfrac{dx}{dt}\right)dt

Someone more knowledgeable, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    As Farhan.Hanif93 said.

Alternatively, eliminate t from your two equations, then get an expression for y^2 from that. You'll need to sort out the limits.

Edit: Actually, my latter suggestion looks rather messy when I look at the details.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Somehow, I've never come across integrating the parametric equation of any curve in maths before but I'll try my best.
    Same. Though I think my hunch about integrating the Cartesian seems to be spot on... :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Same. Though I think my hunch about integrating the Cartesian seems to be spot on... :beard:
    Yeah it should work but, as Ghostwalker says, it will probably get messy. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.