'Windows Service Centre' possible scam?

Watch
cdsmith1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hope this is the right forum.. need some advice guys.

Had a call today from the 'Windows Service Centre' regarding error reports from mine and my dad's PC's..

Basically the guy was saying that my software warranty is up (I know) but as a Windows customer they can still help clean my PC up and get it running better..

I thought OK.. so the guy takes me through a few 'run' commands and shows me lists of malware or corrupted files or whatever...

Then asks me to go 'www.windowspccare.info'. Check that link out of you want, he said it wasn't the right page, so he sent me to another site and asked me to install the following program so the technicians can see what needs to be deleted or something like that...

Anyway that's as far as I got, I told him that program or website looked suspicious and that I wasn't going to go any further.. he went on and on explaining how Windows software warrantys work, how the Service Centre technicians can help etc.. but something just didn't feel legit to me..

Anyone had this happen? The number he gave me was 02081332998, which doesn't bring up anything of use when Google'd...

Anyway I didn't install anything despite his 'advice'......
v!$hal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Def a scam! http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...scam-continues

You made the right decision. Stay away from these people.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Theres no warranty on software any way
cdsmith1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Bloody hell.. could've turned out quite bad then!
tusac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeap, a really old-school scam. They might have asked you to Run "eventvwr" and then shown you the Error logs under the Application tab. Good thing you didn't install/run anything from the above-said site. Its basically a RAT which would allow them to Remotely access your PC and keylog everything you type, thus putting your Bank logins and CCs at risk.

Or, even if the downloaded files aren't Rats/malwares, its a way to trick people into paying money for a non-existent service. Was really popular before, can't believe people are still falling for these.
Seems quite popular in the UK

Here is a further read :
http://www.webologist.co.uk/internet...et-clsid-trick
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Would quite like some to phone me offering me this service, I could have quite a bit of fun with them ^_^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (313)
55.99%
I don't have everything I need (246)
44.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise