Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do you integrate:

\displaystyle \int \frac{x^3+3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x} dx

How do you remove the denominator? I know how to integrate but I don't know what to do with the x in the denominator.

Also how would you integrate:

\displaystyle \int_2^a 6x^{-4} dx where a is a constant greater than 2.

What does 'where a is a constant greater than 2.' mean exactly? How do I manipulate the a?

Thanks, sorry my maths is awful.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    For the first one, split the fraction and use the laws of indices.

For the second one, integrate it like you would normally and then just put a in instead of a numerical value for the upper limit. "a is a constant greater than 2" just means that a \ge 2... but that has no effect on this integral -- all it means is that your integral's not screwed up*; notice that if a<2 then your upper limit is lower than your lower limit.

*In fact having an upper limit lower than your lower limit is fine, but if this is C2 it's not worth worrying about, which is probably why they imposed the condition a>2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    For the first one, split the fraction and use the laws of indices.

For the second one, integrate it like you would normally and then just put a in instead of a numerical value for the upper limit. "a is a constant greater than 2" just means that a \ge 2... but that has no effect on this integral -- all it means is that your integral's not screwed up*; notice that if a<2 then your upper limit is lower than your lower limit.

*In fact having an upper limit lower than your lower limit is fine, but if this is C2 it's not worth worrying about, which is probably why they imposed the condition a>2.
    \displaystyle \int \frac{x^3+3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x} dx= \displaystyle \int \frac{x^3}{x}+ \frac{3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x}dx=\frac  {1}{3}x +

I'm not so sure on the last term.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by I'm clever)
    \displaystyle \int \frac{x^3+3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x} dx= \displaystyle \int \frac{x^3}{x}+ \frac{3x^\frac{1}{2}}{x}dx=\frac  {1}{3}x +

I'm not so sure on the last term.
    You haven't applied the laws of indices; when you integrate \dfrac{x^3}{x} you don't get \dfrac{x}{3}, that's for sure. Simplify \dfrac{x^3}{x} and \dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x} first.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't applied the laws of indices; when you integrate \dfrac{x^3}{x} you don't get \dfrac{x}{3}, that's for sure. Simplify \dfrac{x^3}{x} and \dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x} first.
    \dfrac{x^3}{x}=x^2

\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x}=3 \times \frac{\sqrt x}{x}

ReputationRep:
    \dfrac{x^3}{x}=x^2

\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x}=3 \times \frac{\sqrt x}{x}=\frac{3}{\sqrt x}
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    \dfrac{x^3}{x}=x^2
    That's right. So what do you get when you integrate that? [Hint: not x/3]

\dfrac{3x^{\frac{1}{2}}}{x}=3 \times \frac{\sqrt x}{x}
    You can simplify \dfrac{\sqrt{x}}{x}. Notice that x = \sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x}. But really you could have just used the laws of indices; you should know from C1 that \dfrac{x^a}{x^b} = x^{a-b}.

EDIT: Just seen your updated reply; you're right with the second bit, but you're better off writing the power of x as a number so that it's easier to integrate.

ReputationRep:
    That's right. So what do you get when you integrate that? [Hint: not x/3]

You can simplify \dfrac{\sqrt{x}}{x}. Notice that x = \sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x}. But really you could have just used the laws of indices; you should know from C1 that \dfrac{x^a}{x^b} = x^{a-b}.
    I'm not doing A level maths. I'm only in year 10 but I find integration interesting

EDIT: I have simplified it further.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm not doing A level maths. I'm only in year 10 but I find integration interesting

EDIT: I have simplified it further.
    Okay, see my edit :p: I think the laws of indices is a GCSE thing anyway, but if you're in Y10 you might not have covered it yet... I don't know what the syllabus is these days.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, see my edit :p: I think the laws of indices is a GCSE thing anyway, but if you're in Y10 you might not have covered it yet... I don't know what the syllabus is these days.
    The answer to the second question is \frac{a^3}{4} -2

I can't seem to get that one too.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The answer to the second question is \frac{a^3}{4} -2

I can't seem to get that one too.
    That's definitely not the right answer to the second bit, assuming you've not made a typo. You should be aiming for \dfrac{1}{4} - \dfrac{2}{a^3}.

ReputationRep:
    That's definitely not the right answer to the second bit, assuming you've not made a typo. You should be aiming for \dfrac{1}{4} - \dfrac{2}{a^3}.
    Yea I understand it all clearly now.

Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.