Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for a course after dropping out.. (due to depression) watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically i attended City University for two years (2008-2010). However i suffered pretty severe depression during the second year which got progressively worse. In the end i didn't even bother turning up for resits and opening my results when they came. Hard to explain if you haven't been through depression, but i was basically just kinda self destructive at that point and wanted to ignore it.

I only really got over it this January, and it's when i contacted the uni. obviously they can't really do much for me about that course, but now i'm wondering what to do.. I gained a 71% overall in my first year, and an first in a team project module in my second year. however that's all i really have to show for the two years in that course.

Does my current experience in that course help or hinder me? Because the way the head of Undergraduate studies put it, it just looks like i dropped out because i didn't bother. I could try and appeal, but that would involve getting diagnosed with depression which could harm my career opportunities in the future, and i think i'm over that really. Plus he indicated there's little chance after the time i 'left it'.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sleepysean;30769656]
    Does my current experience in that course help or hinder me? Because the way the head of Undergraduate studies put it, it just looks like i dropped out because i didn't bother.[QUOTE]

That's not very helpful. It would have been best if, when you were experiening difficulties, you contacted the university. They would have been able to support you and possible offer you some time out to recover. But I can appreciate that at this probably didn't occur to you when unwell.

Your past experience shouldn't significantly disadvantage you. People do drop out of university. It happens. Sometimes the course isn't right or perhaps the student was experiening personal difficulties. Universities will be sympathetic to this. If you are willing to commit to a course, and demonstrate your commitment in an application and personal statement, it shouldn't be a major obstacle.

Would the head of undergraduate studies at your former department be willing to write a letter, stating how well you performed in the course? I would normally suggest getting medical evidence from a doctor but, as it seems you never sought a diagnosis, this won't be possible. The academic is correct when he says it is unlikely a doctor will provide medical evidence post-illness. However, if you do have symptoms of depression, however mild, it is important you see your doctor.

You did claim the qualification you were entitled to by completing the first year, didn't you? For a three year undergraduate course this is usually a Certificate of Higher Education.

You can also transfer the credits you have passed to the Open University, meaning that you start from second year and already have the one level 2 module you have passed. You can chose to study full time and can always drop to part-time if you start to become unwell again. Or take a complete break and then resume. The Open University will be supportive and certainly won't mind about you leaving your previous course. It's what the OU is there for.

You still have options so don't worry.

but that would involve getting diagnosed with depression which could harm my career opportunities in the future
    What makes you say that? You do realise that, as someone with diagnosed depression, you will be protected under the Disability Discrimination Act. As a result employers cannot discriminate against you for having depression and are required to make reasonable adjustments when appropriate?

You also don't need to inform anyone of the depression, especially if you think it's well controlled. If you don't tell them then they won't know.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm currently trying to work out my options and your advice was really helpful in that respect.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.