Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question: According to Michele Hanson, what could 'today's green consumers' learn from 'Britain in the 40s and 50s?

Article:
    http://fronter.com/westminster/links/files.phtml/1768271223$659682652$/Resources/English/Language+Exams/AQA+Past+papers/AQA+2008+-+Higher/04insert1.jpg

Answer: According to Michele Hanson 'today's green consumers' take advantage of the world's resources, whereas in the 40's and 50's they were 'trained up after the war, not to waste a scrap of anything'. In fact many of her generation find it 'painful' to watch the world's resources being 'needlessly frittered away' when in their times they were taught to 'make-do and mend'. During the 40's and 50's it was clear that the society signified the importance of doing the littlest things such as 're-use tea bags' or 'wash and re-use tin foil' to make the planet environmentally friendly. Yet now, it's 'don't bother and chuck'.

i know it's short, and probably won't achieve a high grade atm, that's why i really need your advice on how i can improve.

and the question is worth 7 marks.

ReputationRep:
    please help me

ReputationRep:
    I have my exam in a month and need to somehow need to move my grade D to a grade B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasehelpme...)
    I have my exam in a month and need to somehow need to move my grade D to a grade B
    in my opinion you're aiming too low. Why don't you aim for an A*? Get a personal tutor who can help you with your problems - there's nothing stopping you from getting the top grades. GCSE english doesnt require being smart or anything. I know some people who write practise essays on questions they think wil come up, then they mould these essays into the exam questions and get a*'s. This guy from QE boys came to uk aged 10 and ended up with 10 a*'s and 2a's including 2 a*'s in english lit and lang. You've lived here your whole life or most of your life (im presuming) so why do you aim for a B? Good luck dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sokka)
    in my opinion you're aiming too low. Why don't you aim for an A*? Get a personal tutor who can help you with your problems - there's nothing stopping you from getting the top grades. GCSE english doesnt require being smart or anything. I know some people who write practise essays on questions they think wil come up, then they mould these essays into the exam questions and get a*'s. This guy from QE boys came to uk aged 10 and ended up with 10 a*'s and 2a's including 2 a*'s in english lit and lang. You've lived here your whole life or most of your life (im presuming) so why do you aim for a B? Good luck dude
    if i'm on a D/C atm, for me personally, it's impossible to reach up to an A* in the space of 4 weeks. besides my answer's are always too short, and i lack in detail so have no idea how i can push this grade up!

ReputationRep:
    if i'm on a D/C atm, for me personally, it's impossible to reach up to an A* in the space of 4 weeks. besides my answer's are always too short, and i lack in detail so have no idea how i can push this grade up!
    have you tried asking your teacher about your coursework? If you have that up to a B/A then it will be easier to get a good grade overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sokka)
    have you tried asking your teacher about your coursework? If you have that up to a B/A then it will be easier to get a good grade overall.
    yeah i think my coursework's up to a grade B, but the exams are worth MUCH more, so i don't see how that can affect my grade.

ReputationRep:
    answers* will gain you marks.

ReputationRep:
    Question: According to Michele Hanson, what could 'today's green consumers' learn from 'Britain in the 40s and 50s?

Article:
    http://fronter.com/westminster/links/files.phtml/1768271223$659682652$/Resources/English/Language+Exams/AQA+Past+papers/AQA+2008+-+Higher/04insert1.jpg

Answer: According to Michele Hanson 'today's green consumers' take advantage of the world's resources, whereas in the 40's and 50's they were 'trained up after the war, not to waste a scrap of anything'. In fact many of her generation find it 'painful' to watch the world's resources being 'needlessly frittered away' when in their times they were taught to 'make-do and mend'. During the 40's and 50's it was clear that the society signified the importance of doing the littlest things such as 're-use tea bags' or 'wash and re-use tin foil' to make the planet environmentally friendly. Yet now, it's 'don't bother and chuck'.

i know it's short, and probably won't achieve a high grade atm, that's why i really need your advice on how i can improve.

and the question is worth 7 marks.
    I can't read the article (it's asking for a username and password) but from reading what you've written it doesn't look like you've fully answered the question. Try to explicitly state what today's consumers can learn from the '40's and '50's as well as just quoting from the text. The exam is based on your comprehension skills, not your copy and paste skills so put as much of your own analysis and understanding in the answer as possible. Also, use the PEE (point, evidence, explain) structure for quick and easy marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HedonisticMe)
    answers* will gain you marks.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by united.spammers)
    I can't read the article (it's asking for a username and password) but from reading what you've written it doesn't look like you've fully answered the question. Try to explicitly state what today's consumers can learn from the '40's and '50's as well as just quoting from the text. The exam is based on your comprehension skills, not your copy and paste skills so put as much of your own analysis and understanding in the answer as possible. Also, use the PEE (point, evidence, explain) structure for quick and easy marks.
    as the mark's worth 7 marks i assumed you'd have to write 7 points so with using PEE that'd mean i explain each point in detail?? dunno

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think my coursework's up to a grade B, but the exams are worth MUCH more, so i don't see how that can affect my grade.
    Yeah I had full marks on my coursework, thought I did fine in the exam and I ended up with a B in English literature I was SO dissapointed.

ReputationRep:
    as the mark's worth 7 marks i assumed you'd have to write 7 points so with using PEE that'd mean i explain each point in detail?? dunno
    It's been a while but I think each PEE "block" is worth 3 marks or so. So make 3 points, quote from the text and explain them well and you should be on to a winner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyrawstorne)
    Yeah I had full marks on my coursework, thought I did fine in the exam and I ended up with a B in English literature I was SO dissapointed.
    lol i'd be more than happy with achieving a B grade lol

ReputationRep:
    lol i'd be more than happy with achieving a B grade lol
    Aha, it's not really bad but English was my LIFE - I'm a bit sad

ReputationRep:

How did you find your literature exam? What questions did you answer, Of mice & men? . I'm doing my lit exam in 3 weeks. I need help, I'm well nervous & I'm not concentrating in school these days & I LOVE ENGLISH to.

ReputationRep:

How did you find your literature exam? What questions did you answer, Of mice & men? . I'm doing my lit exam in 3 weeks. I need help, I'm well nervous & I'm not concentrating in school these days & I LOVE ENGLISH to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.