ReputationRep:
    How the hell do you make egg fried rice? :eek:
    I could literally live on the stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    I'll be the judge of that :pierre:
    Orly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not proud of anything specific, just my cooking in general. Mainly because in a year I've gone from being scared of an oven because I burnt myself when I was little, to actually being able to cook things like lasagne and stir fries and even enjoy myself while I'm at it. I do plenty of baking too, and my flatmates love me for it. :p: All this in around 6 months too

ReputationRep:
    I can only really remember the stuff i've beed disappointed with- i'm too critical of my food, other people love it, but I always find something wrong with it!

However, I will say that it is probably the sense of satisfaction getting a roast dinner done perfectly for the family. Roast lamb with rosemary and leek stuffing, and all the trimmings- brilliant! And lamb can be sucha fussy thing to cook too- done wrong it can be absolutely disgusting!

ReputationRep:
    I can make things like shepherds pie and chilli con carne and vegetable soup from scratch. Once i master bolognese i'll be super duper proud of mysef!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not much of a cook myself, so anything that's not burnt, overcooked, or stuck to the bottom of the pan is something I am proud of.

I want to eat sushi. Now

ReputationRep:
    I once made a family-sized chicken and mushroom pie from scratch. Pastry 'n all. It almost goes without saying that I've never made it since, I prefer to cook simple meals mainly consisting of pasta and more pasta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    O . M . G

Won't you please marry me and be my full time cook!
    Well since you asked so nicely... :fan:

But seriously, making sushi isn't thaaattt hard... ok, it's fiddly, and inside-out rolls in particular were a bit of a pain, but maki are especially simple if you wanted to give it a go! Sainsburys and Tescos both sell sushi making stuff, and I believe it's even on offer in Tescos at the moment. You'll need sushi rice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, nori sheets, and whatever you want to put in the middle, and that's it! (Oh, and a bit of salt and sugar to mix in with the rice vinegar to season the rice). Obviously you can do more fancy stuff if you want to, but the basics are actually quite simple

ReputationRep:
    ah it has to be a beast of a meat and potatoe pie :P everything from scratch, so proud at my pastry

ReputationRep:
    herb crusted lamb rack with new potatoes and a cranberry/red wine reduction, but that was just a standalone, if i had to make a whole meal including that then the lamb would have never been out of the fridge

ReputationRep:
    a baby

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud of mine and my boyfriend's cooking! We've made:

A gateaux st honoré which involved choux pastry.
    Nigella's toffee and chocolate brownie cheesecake. (Gorgeous).
    Pizza from scratch.
    Steak.
    Curry from scratch.
    Gorgeous millionaire's shortbread.
    Just to name a few things!

I'm proud of the swiss rolls I always make, which I can now roll up without breaking or cracking the sponge.

And though a simple recipe for many people, getting a batch of cupcakes or a sponge cake to come out just how you want them, with a fantastic flavour and asthetically pleasing and yummy topping is very satisfying. Especially when your housemates or family gobble them all up!

(Original post by iamnotasealion)
    Orly.
    Call me Judge K.

ReputationRep:
    Lasagna, haven't made it in a while, but when I first did I was seriously impressed with myself! I can barely cook a pizza without burning it

ReputationRep:
    I didn't buy someone a birthday present so made them choc chip cookies instead. Turned out perfectly. :coma:

Made a vegetable and chicken curry yesterday, turned out surprisingly well considering I just threw everything in and mixed it about.

ReputationRep:
    I once made awesome beans on toast :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Not bad for sushi, looks well rolled but your cuts aren't as straight and clean as they could be.

Probably when I made my mole for the head chef at a local gourmet restaurant and he said it was the best he'd ever tasted. This is a guy with over 30 years experience who'd studied in paris at le cordon bleu!
    I knew a guy who worked there, he suggested it when we were down the pub one night arguing about who was the better cook, after a bit of convincing he got the head chef to come to mine one night and his another. **** eating grin would be an understatement to my face when I won.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.