Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Yeah but surely it's better to get a guy that you want as opposed to any guy? I'm sure these aren't dead set qualities- if you really like someone then you'll be willing to compromise on a few things. For example, I would PREFER a boyfriend to be taller than me, but if I really liked him then it wouldn't be a problem (although I'm dinky so I can't imagine that will ever be a problem). On the other hand, I can't see myself going out with a boy who does drugs and I wouldn't be happy about smoking either, since they're things that I'm just not happy about, and I wouldn't want to go out with someone and then try and change them.
    But then the OP should say this.

Cos what you said is true - of course we all have our preferences and that's okay to have that.

But to have a list of all these 'must-haves,' it's so annoying cos no one is perfect. Its quite sad because all these qualities that the OP wishes are quite superficial, most of them are nothing to do with personality. it's a tad immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    Looks like I'm your perfect man!
    :rofl2:

Please rate some other members before rating this member again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense. Who would want to go out with a guy with no soul?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    why do you care if they have a degree? you can have a great career without uni, surely money/security is more important than whether they went to uni? :s

ReputationRep:
    As you're a girl, you'll change that list every few minutes/hours/days, and if you do meet the ideal man, you'll soon find lots of other things about him you don't like, and one day you might surprise yourself and find you're mysteriously attracted to someone who is massively different from your list but makes you feel happy/special/safe/loved/whatever. Live life, give everyone a chance until they prove they don't deserve another, and don't waste your life discounting perfectly good people from your life because of some fatuous idealistic fantasy of your ideal partner.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but surely it's better to get a guy that you want as opposed to any guy? I'm sure these aren't dead set qualities- if you really like someone then you'll be willing to compromise on a few things. For example, I would PREFER a boyfriend to be taller than me, but if I really liked him then it wouldn't be a problem (although I'm dinky so I can't imagine that will ever be a problem). On the other hand, I can't see myself going out with a boy who does drugs and I wouldn't be happy about smoking either, since they're things that I'm just not happy about, and I wouldn't want to go out with someone and then try and change them.
    This, everyone has preferences, it's not 'being picky' it's how we chose who to date. Although I personally disagree about smoking, I don't think it matters, but each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prettygeek)
    well, there are many threads on here asking 'what do girls want' and I think she's answered it fairly well....
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    I'm a girl (ignore username) and this is what I want from a boyfriend...

-same age or older than me (cannot be younger)
    -goes to Uni/graduated (it's important to me I have a degree, it should be important to him)
    -taller than me (I'm 5'2")
    -Not ginger
    -Not skinny (has to look like a man and not androgynous)
    -Funny
    -Doesn't smoke
    -Dominant

Ok, now girls of TSR post your preferences and we'll see what crops up most often!

She clearly hasn't answered that question well. If those are her only conditions then by rights she should be attracted to a 50 year old uni graduate who's 6ft, bald, obese, funny (in a racist way), who doesn't smoke and perhaps likes to whip her every now and then in the bedroom.

Hardly the kind of vague, ambiguous 'preferences' those guys are looking for when they ask 'what do girls want?'

ReputationRep:
    afro guys :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Why do people not get that these lists are preferences? Most girls are flexible with their lists (I assume). For example, I'd prefer a guy who likes football, specifically Arsenal. But if I meet a guy I like who doesn't like football, I'd be fine with that, it's not the end of the world. You make lists with your head, but when your heart wants something, it usually gets what it wants. Besides, everyone has preferences for food, music, clothes, etc. so what wrong with preferences for partners?

ReputationRep:
    More people should learn to love themselves before going round trying to find other people to love. I swear is impossible to know what you truly want anyway. It just happens...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecat23)
    But then the OP should say this.

Cos what you said is true - of course we all have our preferences and that's okay to have that.

But to have a list of all these 'must-haves,' it's so annoying cos no one is perfect. Its quite sad because all these qualities that the OP wishes are quite superficial, most of them are nothing to do with personality. it's a tad immature.
    That is true. One of the girls in my halls last year had a break down about not having had a boyfriend for ages and when I asked what type of boys she liked she came out with this list that went something like this:
    1. Plays rugby
    2. Is really hot, preferably models or could model
    3. Must have a degree is a "real" subject
    4. Comes from an upper class/ upper middle class family
    Etc etc. we eventually decided that this person probably doesn't except except maybe in films

(Original post by .Ali.)
    This, everyone has preferences, it's not 'being picky' it's how we chose who to date. Although I personally disagree about smoking, I don't think it matters, but each to their own.
    I just hate the smell of smoke, so for me it would be like dating someone who smelt of garlic all the time. I suppose if the boy was something really special I could get on board with it, but I can't imagine it happening.

ReputationRep:
    That is true. One of the girls in my halls last year had a break down about not having had a boyfriend for ages and when I asked what type of boys she liked she came out with this list that went something like this:
    1. Plays rugby
    2. Is really hot, preferably models or could model
    3. Must have a degree is a "real" subject
    4. Comes from an upper class/ upper middle class family
    Etc etc. we eventually decided that this person probably doesn't except except maybe in films

I just hate the smell of smoke, so for me it would be like dating someone who smelt of garlic all the time. I suppose if the boy was something really special I could get on board with it, but I can't imagine it happening.
    Fair enough. The smell doesn't really bother me (unless you have like 8 smokers all smoking at the same time - that's foul!) and I have dated smokers before so I don't mind, but everyone has things they like/dislike.

ReputationRep:
    What a man wants.....

A pulse,
    No inhibitions,
    Under 32,
    Size 6-10.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people have these preferences, stop being so uptight and picky just go with the flow. If you see a guy, you talk to him and you like him then why would you eliminate him because he's a year younger than you or something equally stupid?

Really, lists piss me off.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with being Ginger OP?

ReputationRep:
    Someone who is witty and hilarious. Intelligent but not intimidating or patronising...just smart enough to correct me when I am wrong in a tactful manner. A guy who likes to smile (who doesn't?) and a beautiful smile, he needs. Slender or toned. Dresses well. Oh and if he does adventure activities such as climbing mountains :coma:, yes! yes! Definitely! Oh and I have a thing for guys who are good at maths, but that's not a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    Hold on, someone said the OP is 19, and she says she has a degree, which is true?

EDIT: Anyone who has a "type" which stretches beyond two pre-requisites is a bit weird I've come to realise, and usually creates the list so they don't feel too bad that they're alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carbondummy)
    I don't understand why people have these preferences, stop being so uptight and picky just go with the flow. If you see a guy, you talk to him and you like him then why would you eliminate him because he's a year younger than you or something equally stupid?

Really, lists piss me off.
    Welcome to the peer pressure generation. Escape whilst you can!

ReputationRep:
    Here's mine:

- Same age or older than me (although I would date a younger guy, if he was quite mature for his age)
    - Taller than me (not too hard since I'm only 4'10 ish)
    - Quite intelligent and hard-working (doesn't bother me if he doesn't go to uni, as long as he works hard and is ambitious).
    - Good-looking to the extent where I am physically attracted to him (hair/eye colour doesn't bother me)
    - Good build (not skinny but not fat - somewhere in the middle)
    - Not take themselves too seriously/can take the **** out of himself and is a bit of a joker.
    - Not cocky/arrogant or vain
    - Caring, loyal and treats me well and enjoys talking/spending time with me
    - Gets on well with my family and friends
    - Likes me for my faults (clumsy, lack of common sense, etc) :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone leave out gingers?? :emo:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.