Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELP. My offer includes an A in the dropped AS where I got a B. What to do?

I have got an offer from Warwick for Economics which I really want to firm.
    However, they want an A in chemistry which i dropped at AS when I got a B.
    My school guidance person isnt available right now. What can I do?
    Is it too late to apply for retakes? Could I call Warwick up and tell them about my situation or will they just say tough luck?

Please help, panicing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP40186)
    HELP. My offer includes an A in the dropped AS where I got a B. What to do?

I have got an offer from Warwick for Economics which I really want to firm.
    However, they want an A in chemistry which i dropped at AS when I got a B.
    My school guidance person isnt available right now. What can I do?
    Is it too late to apply for retakes? Could I call Warwick up and tell them about my situation or will they just say tough luck?

Please help, panicing!
    What did you put on your application form? Did you say that you would be taking the AS to A2 and put the exam as pending, then dropped it later in the year without letting your universities know? Or, if this is for a stand alone AS level, did you put on your application that you were resitting the B grade to make it into an A?

As if this is a case of them wanting the grade at A2, there isn't really anything you can do about it other than explain to Warwick that you're no longer taking the subject. They are allowed to change your offer or take it away because you've changed the terms under which they gave you an offer. So they'll either say:
    nope, your other subjects aren't what we want and we're taking away the offer
    OR that you've got to get an A in chemistry, so take the exams in the summer if you want to go there.
    OR they'll change the offer and ask for an A in another subject.

If this is a case of them needing an A in a stand alone AS subject, a similar sort of rationale applies. You can pay late entry fees to sit the exams in the summer but if you haven't been to any of the classes then I'm not sure how well you'd do, that would be your call after discussing it with your teachers.

However, if you're 100% sure that you didn't list A2 or AS chemistry retakes as one of your exams and there has been a mistake, then contact Warwick and ask for clarification. Explain that you're unable to meet the offer as your chemistry was only taken at AS, you're not resitting the exam and this is what you said on your application, then they will make alternative arrangements.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you can still enter for summer exams, but there may be increased costs to pay.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.