Turn on thread page Beta

How do I turn him down nicely? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I was out last night, and a guy came and asked for my number. He seemed nice but just not my type.
    I tried putting him off, but he was pretty insistant on getting it. So I tried to do what I usually do with guys that refuse to leave me alone which is I give them my number but change one digit. However, I'm an idiot and forgot to change one digit. :facepalm2:

Anyway, I woke up this morning and he'd text me asking if I wanted to meet up. I ignored it and went back to sleep. When I woke up he'd texted again asking why I hadn't replied, and then again to ask if he'd done something wrong. (Bearing in mind last night was the first time I'd met him, and it was a 10 minute conversation.)

I know I'm eighteen and should be able to handle these things, but I'm incredibly awkward and just generally useless around the opposite sex. :facepalm2:. So can anyone give me a nice but clear way to tell him I'm not interested?

Tl;dr
    I've come to tsr for advice because I'm socially inept to tell an overkeen guy I'm just not interested. However, I don't want to do it in a nasty way.

EDIT: Whilst the I am sleeping with Batman and the I'm a lesbian answers would have been highly amusing, I opted for the ''I'm busy for the forseeable future'' option. His reply was ''Ok''which I'm hoping means he'll leave me alone now. Thanks for the help guys.

ReputationRep:
    Harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you're a lesbian...

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you're sleeping with batman

ReputationRep:
    Either just don't text back, or say that you're really busy at the moment and will let him know. Or you could just say you have a boyfriend? I find it really hard to do this too!

ReputationRep:
    "I was a bit drunk and I should tell you I have a boyfriend."?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by righteous)
    "I was a bit drunk and I should tell you I have a boyfriend."?
    OR I was a bit drunk and I should never have spoken to you.

ReputationRep:
    'You seem like a nice guy, but I'm not looking for a relationship at the moment. I'm just saying because I don't want to lead you on.'

If he carries on maybe try and see him some time with other friends. Or if he is really insitent then either tell him to back off, or agree to meet him, but don't tell him and bring a few friends. That should give any guy the message that you did not want anything like a date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.laurence)
    Tell him you're sleeping with batman
    I'd love to do this for the lulz factor, but I'm aiming for a realistic reason.

(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Either just don't text back, or say that you're really busy at the moment and will let him know. Or you could just say you have a boyfriend? I find it really hard to do this too!
    I didn't text back in the first place, and the result was more texts!
    I think I'll go for the second option as I've used the third many times and the response has often been ''So what? Just give me your number''.

I feel bad as he seems perfectly nice, but he's just not my type at all.

ReputationRep:
    He seems desperate, 3 texts before you've even woke up. And that's less than 24 hours after you met him. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    So I was out last night, and a guy came and asked for my number. He seemed nice but just not my type.
    I tried putting him off, but he was pretty insistant on getting it. So I tried to do what I usually do with guys that refuse to leave me alone which is I give them my number but change one digit. However, I'm an idiot and forgot to change one digit. :facepalm2:

Anyway, I woke up this morning and he'd text me asking if I wanted to meet up. I ignored it and went back to sleep. When I woke up he'd texted again asking why I hadn't replied, and then again to ask if he'd done something wrong. (Bearing in mind last night was the first time I'd met him, and it was a 10 minute conversation.)

I know I'm eighteen and should be able to handle these things, but I'm incredibly awkward and just generally useless around the opposite sex. :facepalm2:. So can anyone give me a nice but clear way to tell him I'm not interested?

Tl;dr
    I've come to tsr for advice because I'm socially inept to tell an overkeen guy I'm just not interested. However, I don't want to do it in a nasty way.
    It's pretty simple, really.
    "Sorry, but I'm not interested. If you thought otherwise, I'm sorry. Have a nice day."

ReputationRep:
    Just don't reply and he will think you gave him the wrong number. He'll stop texting soon.

Lol why is this even a question. Do you fall down a lot?

ReputationRep:
    Poor thing, he seems a bit desperate Either tell him you've got a lot on right now or block him. Or you've got a boyfriend/girlfriend/whatever. Harsh, but it's better than leading him on.

ReputationRep:
    say who is this? pretend he was given a wrong number as you intended

ReputationRep:
    Its kinda easy...just say " I like you only as a friend buddy" or "awww you are cute, but I am not interested atm"

ReputationRep:
    I already texted back this morning telling him he'd done nothing wrong.

I just text him back saying I was really busy for the next few weeks. It was tempting not to text back but people have done stuff like that to me before, and I don't want to be a *****.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you just do the fake number thing, where you give them a fake number. There is no easy way of putting it, you just have to say it.

ReputationRep:
    you could pretend to be an absolute wackjob and tell him you love him and that you want to have his babies. Find out his mums name and tell him you love his family.

Should solve your problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I already texted back this morning telling him he'd done nothing wrong.

I just text him back saying I was really busy for the next few weeks. It was tempting not to text back but people have done stuff like that to me before, and I don't want to be a *****.
    What you should have done is got some guy to ring him up saying why do you keep texting me and why do you have my number, im sure he would stop then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    you could pretend to be an absolute wackjob and tell him you love him and that you want to have his babies. Find out his mums name and tell him you love his family.

Should solve your problem.
    Why do i get the feeling that is has worked for you many times... only joking :laugh:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.