Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an overseas student, from the Caribbean, about to apply to transfer into my 3nd year into Birmingham City University to do law, an LLB. I am in my 2nd year of University Of London International Programmes, LLB, and exams are coming up in May. However I would Really like to get in to BCU, and based on my correspondence on the phone and e-mail they seem keen on the idea, and I already fulfill the necessary requirements for a transfer into the 2nd year.

However most of this year, honestly I have not done near enough work because of personal problems and some other things, and I am unsure as to whether or not I will be able to even pass all four of the modules and even if I do it would not be to the standard I know I am capable of, and this year the grades will contribute to the quality of my degree.

The problem is however, I am afraid that I am going to be offered a place in the 3rd year and be unable to fullfill the requirements and lose the chance to go. In which case I am wondering whether I should apply for the 2nd year to be safe and redo the year (which deep down, I have no problem with, and in some ways prefer), even though this will cost my parents more money, they would still be willing to pay. I am applying through UCAS and need to put something in the Point Of Entry box.

I spoke to the BCU International Enquiry Manager and asked if I was to apply for 3rd year and was for whatever reason unable to obtain the grades they wanted, would I then be still elligible for a place in the 2nd year and I was told "of course" and that they would try to extend an offer wherever possible.

However, I am quite hesitant to believe that (perhaps just encouraging me to apply), has anyone ever heard of someone receiving two offers for the same course? Meaning, would I honestly recieve an offer to go into the 3rd year AS WELL AS an offer to enter to the 2nd year?

Can I ACTUALLY receive two offers to do the same course in all honesty ??!?!????!??!?? Has anyone any experience or opinion or information on this? Can I be elligible for both places?????
    HAS ANYONE EVER GOT TWO OFFERS FOR THE SAME COURSE, CAN THEY ACTUALLY DO THAT ????????????
    I need some answers really soon because I would like to apply soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Real As Can Be)
    Can I ACTUALLY receive two offers to do the same course in all honesty ??!?!????!??!?? Has anyone any experience or opinion or information on this? Can I be elligible for both places?????
    HAS ANYONE EVER GOT TWO OFFERS FOR THE SAME COURSE, CAN THEY ACTUALLY DO THAT ????????????
    I need some answers really soon because I would like to apply soon!
    They would give you an offer for the 3rd year of the course. They won't give you two offers, it will just be a case of if you don't get in to the 3rd year course they'll let you start in 2nd year instead, if this is what they've told you. You don't need an offer for both entry points for this to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    They'll let you start in 2nd year instead, if this is what they've told you. You don't need an offer for both entry points for this to happen.
    I don't mean to doubt you, I just want some reassurance but are you quite sure about that? As in, do you have knowledge or experience of that being the case or are you speculating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Real As Can Be)
    I don't mean to doubt you, I just want some reassurance but are you quite sure about that? As in, do you have knowledge or experience of that being the case or are you speculating?
    If they've said to you "yes, if you fail to meet the 3rd year entry requirements we will let you start in 2nd year" then yes, it means that they will just let you enter into the 2nd year course instead and you do not actually have to apply for 2 courses, they'd just change it on UCAS/when you got there. If they've said we may let you start in 2nd year, then this isn't a guarantee they'll just give you a place in 2nd year. It depends on the exact wording to you when you spoke to them.

My feeling is, if they specifically wanted you to apply twice to be considered for 2nd year entry, they would have told you this. If you're seriously concerned contact the university for clarification or if you're only applying to Birmingham, just have 2 choices on UCAS - one for your year 3 entry point and then one for your year 2. I have never been in your exact position as an international applicant for 3rd year entry to law at Birmingham, so I can not say 110% that this is certainly the case, but I can give you this advice from everything I do know about UCAS/universities/applications.... and that is a fair amount.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I really don't think the UCAS software will let you. You'll just have to trust them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.