Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Goldsmith or Birmingham for English watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got into both places for English... but I don't now which to go for

Should I be looking at rankings and going to Birmingham
    or going with my gut feeling and going to Goldsmiths?

Also... is it too late to apply elsewhere... say to UCL

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by literature)
    I got into both places for English... but I don't now which to go for

Should I be looking at rankings and going to Birmingham
    or going with my gut feeling and going to Goldsmiths?

Also... is it too late to apply elsewhere... say to UCL

:confused:
    If you are not interested in doing a PhD then go with the cheapest, most enjoyable and most prestigious programme. If you are interested in doing a PhD then go where the best supervisor is; there is a strong emphasis in AHRC funding about a continuation from your masters dissertation to the PhD.

You probably are too late to apply for UCL, but if you are self funding then it is worth emailing to ask at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    If you are not interested in doing a PhD then go with the cheapest, most enjoyable and most prestigious programme. If you are interested in doing a PhD then go where the best supervisor is; there is a strong emphasis in AHRC funding about a continuation from your masters dissertation to the PhD.

You probably are too late to apply for UCL, but if you are self funding then it is worth emailing to ask at least.
    I am an international student so AHRC doesn't really make a diference to me... although I do intend on doing a PhD... also i am more interested in a slightly comparative approach...i didnt meet the language requirements so couldn t apply for a comparative literature degree in a lot of places... i only recently realized that UCL is not so hard and fast about language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by literature)
    I am an international student so AHRC doesn't really make a diference to me... although I do intend on doing a PhD... also i am more interested in a slightly comparative approach...i didnt meet the language requirements so couldn t apply for a comparative literature degree in a lot of places... i only recently realized that UCL is not so hard and fast about language
    If you look at comparative literature programmes in the US, you will realise that there are only two or three universities in the UK that are nearly as strict when it comes to language requirements. Having said that, a lot will depend upon the language and writers you want to work with; and topics can almost always be tweaked to get around the issue of not speaking a native language. I know this from personal experience, seeing as I work with Dostoevsky but do not speak a lot of Russian.

What writers were you interested in working with?

ReputationRep:
    Amin Malouf,Fredrico Lorca, Neruda, Nizam Hikmet... the list is long and varied... so far I have studied Author based courses... so i kind of find them cloistering, hence the apparent lack of focus. I'm more interested in exploring culture

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.