60.00%
    strat
    40.00%

ReputationRep:

Gibson Les Paul vs Fender Stratocaster

Just the guitars in general.

ReputationRep:
    Whichever the individual prefers.

I don't really have a preference for either. Depends what I want to play.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what type of music you want to play. There are one LPs that cost twice than the others. I don't know how much the expensive ones are better, but you should pay attention to type of wood which guitar body is made of. Humbuckers also are very important. The main thing body, other parts can be changed. In your place I would take Les Paul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nazgulas)
    It depends on what type of music you want to play. There are one LPs that cost twice than the others. I don't know how much the expensive ones are better, but you should pay attention to type of wood which guitar body is made of. Humbuckers also are very important. The main thing body, other parts can be changed. In your place I would take Les Paul.
    lol, no. It was just out of curiousity. I only wish I could be even considering buying a Les Paul.

Though I do recall the Gary Moore sig guitar for a very good price. Would of bought it had I not been planning on traveling this year. Now that he's dead the price rocketed though.

I may go for an Epiphone though.

ReputationRep:
    telecaster

end thread.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "best" has no meaning with these two guitars.
    Both, at their top end, are fantastic pieces of engineering and indeed art.
    It essentially goes down to what the musician prefers to use, or wants to use to get a certain sound.

I personally prefer strats (proud owner of a 60s classic player :sogood:. Was so impressed by it that I also bought the amp I was playing it on in the shop...£1100 between the two but worth every penny)
    That said, I once used a LP that the guitar teacher in my school owned which was worth around £2k and even on a crappy amp it sounded amazing and played like a dream. I'm not overly fond of the finish on most LPs though, which puts me off considerably.

I hate telecasters though....they are so unspeakably ugly that I cannot even being to think about playing one to see what it sounds like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    "best" has no meaning with these two guitars.

It has no meaning with any guitar. Like the music they're used to create, what is good is entirely subjective.

I hate telecasters though....they are so unspeakably ugly that I cannot even being to think about playing one to see what it sounds like.
    Telecasters are awesome. Mine is awesome. You're wrong.

Go be wrong in a ditch.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by concubine)
    It has no meaning with any guitar. Like the music they're used to create, what is good is entirely subjective.

Telecasters are awesome. Mine is awesome. You're wrong.

Go be wrong in a ditch.
    How about a strat versus its Squire immitation?
    With higher end guitars I would say that yes there is no "best", only different sounds you want to go for.
    But certainly bottom end guitars are pwnd by top end ones.

And you must be blind, broski

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the Strat for the weight, balance, fret access and tremolo, but tonally it just depends what I'm playing...Give me a Suhr Classic with a humbucker in the bridge and a maple top and I'm in heaven!

ReputationRep:
    How about a strat versus its Squire immitation?
    With higher end guitars I would say that yes there is no "best", only different sounds you want to go for.
    But certainly bottom end guitars are pwnd by top end ones.

And you must be blind, broski

Looks aren't everything, sexpot.

And I still disagree, there are plenty musicians that don't buy into the whole 'OMG MUST HAZ LE' PAULZzzz'. etc' kinda ****. You don't need an expensive guitar to get a good tone, it's as simple as that. Whatever feels good to the individual is the best guitar.

NO ARGUMENTS. I AM CORRECT.

ReputationRep:
    x
    Sorry dude, the man's right, Telecasters are hideous.

I agree with the whole whatever feels right is right thing you had going on though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

And I still disagree, there are plenty musicians that don't buy into the whole 'OMG MUST HAZ LE' PAULZzzz'. etc' kinda ****. You don't need an expensive guitar to get a good tone, it's as simple as that. Whatever feels good to the individual is the best guitar.

Beauty is just a bottle of vodka and/or a lightswitch away :awesome:

I guess you have a point....but if price was not an issue I would find it very hard to get a squire over a strat.

ReputationRep:
    could you guys take a look at this thread for me. I'm struggling to keep it alive

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...hlight=epiphon

Beauty is just a bottle of vodka and/or a lightswitch away :awesome:

I guess you have a point....but if price was not an issue I would find it very hard to get a squire over a strat.
    (Original post by HSG1992)
    Sorry dude, the man's right, Telecasters are hideous.

I agree with the whole whatever feels right is right thing you had going on though

(Original post by TheAngusBurger)
    I'd go for the Strat for the weight, balance, fret access and tremolo, but tonally it just depends what I'm playing...Give me a Suhr Classic with a humbucker in the bridge and a maple top and I'm in heaven!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I prefer Les Paul's, I just adore the tone and shape!

ReputationRep:
    Prefer the tone of an LP
    but i prefer the playability of a Strat

i don't like the humbucker sound. too muddy and you can't clean up fuzz as well. not to mention les paul guitars are way too heavy and the fretboard is too wide.

looks of a guitar are way more important that you make them out to be. it's just like finding the perfect girl -- she's gotta be attractive for you to fall for her in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a LP kinda guy. I prefer the weight of it, feels like you're actually holding something and the tone is just second to none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick__s)
    i don't like the humbucker sound. too muddy and you can't clean up fuzz as well. not to mention les paul guitars are way too heavy and the fretboard is too wide.

looks of a guitar are way more important that you make them out to be. it's just like finding the perfect girl -- she's gotta be attractive for you to fall for her in the first place.

Ugly, fat girls give good head.

I've never found Les Pauls excessively heavy, nor the fretboard too wide. Being a man rules.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.