Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please tell me if any of this pascal's triangle rubbish is necessary from Chatper 5 of C2. Is it just something leading up to the binomial expansion (BE)?

Cause honestly I can do the BE and due to time constraints to cover Chapters 7-11 I really don't want to waste time with it if it's not going to come up in the exam and is just a kinda transitional phenomena to help smooth out the binomial expansion.

P.S. pascal's traingle is nonsensical anyway, how does e.g. 1a^2 + 2ab give you 3a^2b, it's addition of coefficients and multiplication of constants, not simply and plainly 'addition', argh this confusing crap to hell with it.

ReputationRep:
    Forget Pascal's Triangle if it isn't helping. Just look at nCr and the manual way of working it out. Much simpler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    Forget Pascal's Triangle if it isn't helping. Just look at nCr and the manual way of working it out. Much simpler.
    So it doesn't come up? I can do the binomial expansion (nCr etc.) part of the chapter, just can't get my head around pascal's triangle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow leopard)
    So it doesn't come up? I can do the binomial expansion (nCr etc.) part of the chapter, just can't get my head around pascal's triangle.
    I am 99.9% it won't come up in the exam. I'm pretty sure it's just a way to help people understand the concept of what you are doing, rather than a method of working x question out.

ReputationRep:
    I am 99.9% it won't come up in the exam. I'm pretty sure it's just a way to help people understand the concept of what you are doing, rather than a method of working x question out.
    I thought so too, it's just for transition. Just out of interest, does the binomial expansion get developed later on in the textbook through another topic?

p.s. skipping pascal's triangle, its just dumb and irrelevant lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow leopard)
    I thought so too, it's just for transition. Just out of interest, does the binomial expansion get developed later on in the textbook through another topic?

p.s. skipping pascal's triangle, its just dumb and irrelevant lol.
    Emm, no it doesn't. The most complex it gets is evaluating (1.000005)^5 and using your newly formed expansion to estimate the answer using a suitable value of x.

ReputationRep:
    Emm, no it doesn't. The most complex it gets is evaluating (1.000005)^5 and using your newly formed expansion to estimate the answer using a suitable value of x.
    I see. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I know the question's already been answered, but just for some more reassurance, don't worry about understanding pascal's triangle! I'm the same as you, can't get my head around it at all. It's the same with me and using long division to divide algebraic expressions :/

But yeah, don't worry and good luck with the rest of C2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRGC)
    I know the question's already been answered, but just for some more reassurance, don't worry about understanding pascal's triangle! I'm the same as you, can't get my head around it at all. It's the same with me and using long division to divide algebraic expressions :/

But yeah, don't worry and good luck with the rest of C2
    Aw I appreciate it. Good luck you to you too ~

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.