Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my GCSE year, but have been ahead in Maths for a long time and at college with be doing both Maths and F. Maths. I know for a fact the FP2/3/4 books aren't available but the content is.

Could anyone post any books covering the content in Further Maths please? I was told about a large red book that does cover the content, but lost the address in my infinite wisdom. Thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by LewisMead)
    I know for a fact the FP2/3/4 books aren't available.
    What do you mean by this? Of course textbooks are available.

Can I suggest if you are as capable as you suggest you try to deepen your understanding rather than try to accelerate yourself?

http://nrich.maths.org/public/monthindex.php?mm=4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    What do you mean by this? Of course textbooks are available.

Can I suggest if you are as capable as you suggest you try to deepen your understanding rather than try to accelerate yourself?

http://nrich.maths.org/public/monthindex.php?mm=4
    I have spent time ensuring my understanding of the topics is good, I've had a while to do that as my school has no A-Level work. I've just decided now to take the initiative myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my GCSE year, but have been ahead in Maths for a long time and at college with be doing both Maths and F. Maths. I know for a fact the FP2/3/4 books aren't available but the content is.

Could anyone post any books covering the content in Further Maths please? I was told about a large red book that does cover the content, but lost the address in my infinite wisdom. Thanks.
    which board?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have spent time ensuring my understanding of the topics is good, I've had a while to do that as my school has no A-Level work. I've just decided now to take the initiative myself.
    Which year are you in? You said it is your GCSE year but KS4 takes two years. Don't you have other exams you should be concentrating on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Which year are you in? You said it is your GCSE year but KS4 takes two years. Don't you have other exams you should be concentrating on?
    Year 11. Maths is my main passion and I do it recreationally (I know, hold the applause).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Year 11. Maths is my main passion and I do it recreationally (I know, hold the applause).
    You should be preparing for your GCSEs . You only have another month. You can look at this in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You should be preparing for your GCSEs . You only have another month. You can look at this in the summer.
    I'm fine, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to do further maths get through the cores first, then jump to fp1-fp3/4. How prepared are you exactly? for fp2/3 you need solid skills in C3/4

and what the heck? your exams are in a month, concentrate on getting straight A* Mr. "I'm so academic".

You'll need straight A* for oxbridge in GCSE (in pretty much every subject, if not most)

ReputationRep:
    you sound like a douche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    if you want to do further maths get through the cores first, then jump to fp1-fp3/4. How prepared are you exactly? for fp2/3 you need solid skills in C3/4

and what the heck? your exams are in a month, concentrate on getting straight A* Mr. "I'm so academic".

You'll need straight A* for oxbridge in GCSE (in pretty much every subject, if not most)
    Yeah I have C3 and C4 and have worked through them as well. :P

(Original post by stephie.u3)
    you sound like a douche
    I don't mean to come across as "douchey", sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to come across as "douchey", sorry.
    stop with the arrogance then silly!!

ReputationRep:
    stop with the arrogance then silly!!
    Again, sorry. It's not so much arrogance as I'm pretty blunt and sarcastic with my responses in all manners of discussion. Guess I am a douche deep down.

ReputationRep:
    you sound like a douche
    and you sound like a child. If he wants to get ahead in maths what's your problem??

ReputationRep:
    Again, sorry. It's not so much arrogance as I'm pretty blunt and sarcastic with my responses in all manners of discussion. Guess I am a douche deep down.
    haha forgiven
    oh and btw i do further maths and trust me even if you're amazing at maths its a lot to take in so dont try to do it know without a teacher or anything and PLS concentrate on your GCSEs, i have been through the pain of being complacent and it doesnt leave you in a very good place.
    Stop rushing things and you'll be much calmer when you actually start your A-levels, dont let the excitement get on top of you because tbh unis want an all-rounder not **** grades with outstanding ones in the subject you're doing.
    take my advice please...i'm not blowing my own trumpet by saying thats its whats best i'm just passing on knowledge so you dont make stupid mistakes too. Alevels will be here before you know it
    EDIT: why the hell did i get negged for this?! :'(

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have C3 and C4 and have worked through them as well. :P
    So I'm assuming you have done all the past papers and scored consistent 90% in all of them. In that case, you are ready. If not... :facepalm: you have wasted your time learning the spec

ReputationRep:
    Well if you were ready for fp2/fp3 you would know where to find textbooks?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Further-Camb...2450254&sr=1-1

This is the one my school uses.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm just about to finish Edexcel FM and these are the books we use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Mathem...450739&sr=8-12

I'm guessing you're finding GCSEs pretty easy but concentrate on them for now. Patronising tone aside, they are reasonably important and if you do great in them now you never have to worry about them again. There's loads of time during summer to look at FM.

Don't try FP2 without working knowledge of C4 - my teacher made the mistake of putting me in for the exam last year (before I'd done C3 and C4) and suffice it to say that didn't go well :P I don't think you need 90% in C3 and C4 to do the FP modules - they're challenging but (I think) more interesting than the core ones so they're easier to learn.

I would say don't rush ahead trying to learn it all now. You'll just get bored next year when you're covering stuff you've already done with the rest of your class. Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.