Turn on thread page Beta

So lonely on my birthday watch

Announcements

It's my birthday tomorrow, and I'm so lonely I feel like crying. The plan was that four of us were going to go zorbing, but everyone is skint due to redundancy and other things, so that didn't happen.

Then I was trying to get everyone together for a meal, but it was so hard as a lot of people live miles away, people don't drive, some are working etc. In the end I just gave up. I had a really nice family meal with parents, sisters and niece last night, which was great, but I'll be on my own for my birthday tomorrow and I feel so alone.

I was really looking forward to one of my best mates coming down for the weekend, but she also has no money at the mo, so can't make it. I know times are hard financially but it's still upsetting to think I'll be on my own.

Most of my mates are married with kids etc. This is the first year I'll have been single since I was 16, and I've also been at uni for the past three years where I had mad nights out with loads of people, but I went to uni 350 miles away and don't seem to have made many friends back home. My flatmates are around, but we're not really close.

I kind of wish it wasn't my birthday, as it's a reminder that I'm alone while everyone else has someone. Am I overreacting, or would you feel the same way? I know I'm lucky to at least have family around, but I still feel a bit pathetic

It's my birthday tomorrow as well, and I'll be spending it all alone too because I'm really ill so can't go do anything. My 21st and I'll be sat alone in my room on the internet ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry sounds like your stuck

ReputationRep:
    Go out with your flatmates, get smashed, have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    Your life sucks and you have no friends.

This is why dating is good. You can have happy birthday sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's my birthday tomorrow as well, and I'll be spending it all alone too because I'm really ill so can't go do anything. My 21st and I'll be sat alone in my room on the internet ugh.

Oh no, to bad, even worse that it has to be on your 21st! what were your initial plans?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I'v felt like this too, I was all alone one b- day and felt so sad. I feel your pain )o:

ReputationRep:
    Tbf, I spent my last birthday snowed in (bloody December) writing an essay on Marx. Though I did go out the weekend after.. :dontknow:

I wouldn't be too upset - yeah it sucks but people want to attend your birthday, they just can't because they're broke or whatever. At least you have friends who would come if they could.. better than no one coming to your birthday because they don't give a toss and you have no friends or something.

It's rubbish, but not much you can do.. just buy some junk food lol and binge eat for the day.

ReputationRep:
    AWWWW this makes me feel so sad

(Original post by Mark!91)
    Oh no, to bad, even worse that it has to be on your 21st! what were your initial plans?
    Was going to go away to amsterdam for the weekend with some uni friends. I've been unwell for a few weeks though so at least we hadn't booked it yet!

ReputationRep:
    Was going to go away to amsterdam for the weekend with some uni friends. I've been unwell for a few weeks though so at least we hadn't booked it yet!

What were you going to do in Amsterdam? Its lucky that you hadn't booked it yet though. Spain's a much nicer place, though admittedly I have not been to Amsterdam, it just doesn't interest me tbh.

What were you going to do in Amsterdam? Its lucky that you hadn't booked it yet though. Spain's a much nicer place, though admittedly I have not been to Amsterdam, it just doesn't interest me tbh.
    Not sure tbh, just picked there because some friends went there last year and loved it. I've not been to europe before either so would have been extra fun! Ahh well I'll have to do something in the summer to make up for it!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure tbh, just picked there because some friends went there last year and loved it. I've not been to europe before either so would have been extra fun! Ahh well I'll have to do something in the summer to make up for it!

Yeah, I suppose different people prefer different places, who knows I may actually enjoy it if i went to Amsterdam? Bit cold there though tbh, i prefer somewhere with nice beaches and hot climates.

Are your friends still going or not though? are they/you girls?

Yeah, I suppose different people prefer different places, who knows I may actually enjoy it if i went to Amsterdam? Bit cold there though tbh, i prefer somewhere with nice beaches and hot climates.

Are your friends still going or not though? are they/you girls?
    Amsterdam is a great place! Sure it's a little cold but there's so much to see and I don't just mean the ladies of the night
    Give it a go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    Amsterdam is a great place! Sure it's a little cold but there's so much to see and I don't just mean the ladies of the night
    Give it a go!

All my money is tied up at the moment in trying to buy a car and insurance as I'm aiming with the help of my brother to get out onto the road at the end of the month for the first time after passing my test 2 months ago.

I will bear Amsterdam in mind though when thinking about holiday destinations, do you recommend a week to 2 week stay or a weekend stay for the first trip to Amsterdam?

All my money is tied up at the moment in trying to buy a car and insurance as I'm aiming with the help of my brother to get out onto the road at the end of the month for the first time after passing my test 2 months ago.

I will bear Amsterdam in mind though when thinking about holiday destinations, do you recommend a week to 2 week stay or a weekend stay for the first trip to Amsterdam?
    Hah, I wasn't suggesting you go right this minute, just to give it some more thought. I only went for a few days but managed to cram lots in. I think it's probably best to do it that way especially as if you like it enough you can always go back for longer and if you don't like it, you don't have to stay too long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    Hah, I was suggesting you go right this minute, just to give it some more thought. I only went for a few days but managed to cram lots in. I think it's probably best to do it that way especially as if you like it enough you can always go back for longer and if you don't like it, you don't have to stay too long.

I think I'd probably just go for a weekend or 3day break to start of if I were to go i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Go chill with your family then get wasted with your flatmates.
    If you think you're birthday will be ****, then it will be.

ReputationRep:
    Just have a nice day to yourself, thats what I do when I spend my birthday alone. Go shopping, stop for coffee, go for a walk in the sunshine...

ReputationRep:
    If you can't find anyone to be with you just do something you enjoy on your own. Make your favourite meal, play all your games or go to the cinema and watch a decent film. People can still have good days even though they're by themselves, do something you might have always wanted to do. Then arrange to do something with your friends or family again soon when people are free.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.