Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just can't understand that how this compound can have 8 cis-trans isomers? As there are three double bonds in it, so there SHOULD be only 6 cis-trans isomers of it. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of how much I hated chemistry LOLZARDS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    I just can't understand that how this compound can have 8 cis-trans isomers? As there are three double bonds in it, so there SHOULD be only 6 cis-trans isomers of it. :confused:

The number of isomers goes like 2n, not 2n. You can have:

cis-cis-cis
    cis-cis-trans
    cis-trans-cis
    cis-trans-trans
    trans-cis-cis
    trans-cis-trans
    trans-trans-cis
    trans-trans-trans

Easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    The number of isomers goes like 2n, not 2n. You can have:

cis-cis-cis
    cis-cis-trans
    cis-trans-cis
    cis-trans-trans
    trans-cis-cis
    trans-cis-trans
    trans-trans-cis
    trans-trans-trans

Easy!
    Ah, I'm so retard that I didn't think that way. So if I'm asked about any compound with n number of double bonds in it, will 2n always give the correct answer?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Ah, I'm so retard that I didn't think that way. So if I'm asked about any compound with n number of double bonds in it, will 2n always give the correct answer?
    Not always ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Nope. That works if the compound is linear, and if none of the double bonds have identical substituents.

For example, cyclohexene can only have a cis double bond: cyclooctene is the first cyclic alkene you can fit a trans double bond into.

Equally, if you consider an alkene with two methyl groups, there's no opportunity for cis/trans isomerism.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. That works if the compound is linear, and if none of the double bonds have identical substituents.

For example, cyclohexene can only have a cis double bond: cyclooctene is the first cyclic alkene you can fit a trans double bond into.

Equally, if you consider an alkene with two methyl groups, there's no opportunity for cis/trans isomerism.
    But CH(CH3)=CH(CH3), can exsist as cis-trans isomers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    But CH(CH3)=CH(CH3), can exsist as cis-trans isomers?
    Yes. Sorry, I meant two methyl groups on the same end!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Sorry, I meant two methyl groups on the same end!
    No problem. Although it may not be part of the A level syllabus but how does cyclohexene can't have trans isomer but can have cis one? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    No problem. Although it may not be part of the A level syllabus but how does cyclohexene can't have trans isomer but can have cis one? :eek:
    Try and build a molecular model - there's just no way the atoms can reach that far.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.