Turn on thread page Beta

Do we make too much of a big deal of the warm weather in England...? watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever it's hot outside, everyone seems to go mad and wear next to nothing so they can get a tan.
    Do you think we overreact when warm weather appears?
    Everyone I see is usually complaining about the weather or they're miserable, but as soon as the sun comes out, they're in a good mood. Why not be in a good mood all the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rugged88)
    Whenever it's Sunny outside, everyone seems to go mad and wear next to nothing so they can get a tan.
    Do you think we overreact when sunny weather appears?
    Everyone I see is usually complaining about the weather or they're miserable, but as soon as the sun comes out, they're in a good mood. Why not be in a good mood all the time?
    Fixed.

Seeing almost cloudless/cloudless blue sky in the UK is rare, so I don't see what the harm in celebrating is.

ReputationRep:
    So many people's Facebook statuses get so much happier when it's sunny.

It's lovely.

ReputationRep:
    The UK climate is not that bad - it has no extremes and I just saw all the litter from so called 'clever' students who do not know bins have been invented or to take home their waste ans recycle it. Middle class layabouts!!!! it happens when the sun comes out, students (not everyone) leave their litter for the imaginary council litter picker to pick up haha

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with celebrating sunny weather. And of course we make a huge deal out of it, we so rarely get ANY warm weather haha. I think all this connection with the USA nowadays doesnt help. We see all these tv shows/films etc from the US where it's always sunny and we crave it for ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    The boyf is from Brazil (can get to 40C odd some days) and I suppose it cracks him up.

ReputationRep:
    I love the summer. I spend all time autumn, winter and spring waiting for summer. I'm sure I have some kind of seasonal disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rugged88)
    Whenever it's hot outside, everyone seems to go mad and wear next to nothing so they can get a tan.
    Do you think we overreact when warm weather appears?

People appreciate rarer pleasantries in life.

Poorer people appreciate a lump sum of cash or the odd treat more.

People from warmer climates probably appreciate snow more.

People from drier climates appreciate the rain more.

Us Brits?...we love us some sun. And we appreciate it all the more because we rarely see the stupid thing.

I've actually taken to popping Vitamin D tablets because of the abysmal winters we've been having.

ReputationRep:
    It cheers people up. Not a bad thing at all in my opinion if thats all it does.

Though the UK climate is under-appreciated in general.

ReputationRep:
    I like the headlines the tabloids roll out when it gets anywhere near 20 degrees, e.g. "Scorcher!" accompanied by a picture of two random young girls in bikinis.

ReputationRep:
    I saw someone post a status on facebook the other day like 'Urgh I hate when people go on and on about the nice weather, it's only the damn sun' and it actually kind of annoyed me. Of course we go overboard when the sun comes out, because we don't experience much of it! The sun makes such a difference to my life, it makes me so much happier and more active and I generally feel healthier. I get really down in the winter and spend most of it ill, sometimes I think I've been born to the wrong country because my body can't seem to cope with it haha. That's why as soon as I can, I want to move abroad because I don't want to spend my whole life being miserable for months of the year.

However, if you're going to bare the flesh, PLEASE SLAP ON A BIT OF FAKE TAN. There is nothing worse than pasty exposed bodies everywhere. Pasty skin can make even the nicest body look damn ugly.

ReputationRep:
    I actually prefer it when it's rainy or grey. It feels like I can get more work done. I'd hate to live somewhere where it was sunny 100% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Sun's out, shirts off, squat in Hyde Park.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.