The Student Room Group

Help with work experience letter

I want to apply for a work placement, shadowing a GP, at my local medical center.
Please can you have a look at the letter below and suggest any improvements.

All comments appreciated, thank you.

My Address

Recipients Address

Dear Janet Gallant
(Practice Manager)

RE: Shadowing a GP
My name is Ali Ghasemi: I am 16 years old, currently studying my A-levels at Notre Dame Sixth Form College. I am writing to enquire about a possibility of a work placement at Ashton View Medical Centre from week beginning 4/07/11 until week beginning 15/07/11.
I am studying Biology, Chemistry, ICT and Maths. Having intensely enjoyed these subjects at GCSE, I have chosen to continue with these at A-level as I believe that these will form a stable foundation for my ultimate career as a doctor.
Having completed a 2 week work experience at a pharmacy, I learned the importance of good communication skills and teamwork and I hope by completing work experience at Ashton View Medical Centre, I can further deepen my interest in the career that I want to pursue. Ashton View Medical Centre has been my local medical centre for the past 3 years and the friendly faces have become known to me and I cannot imagine any other place to complete my work experience.
I am a punctual, hard-working and open-minded individual. I am a person who is kind and caring towards others and have a genuine passion for helping others. My hobbies are; I play badminton at my local leisure centre, I like to read, I play football with my siblings at my local park and I find the game more enjoyable when I sort the players into teams.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours Sincerely

Ali Ghasemi
Reply 1
It sounds pretty good :biggrin:

I'll be writing some of these soon as I want to do some work experience for medicine as well xD Maybe instead of saying "for my ultimate career as a doctor" say "for my ultimate career goal, to become a doctor"? Just an idea... it sounded a bit weird when I read it but that could just be me!
Reply 2
thank you for your suggestion, Joseppea.:biggrin:
Original post by casio1
Ashton View Medical Centre has been my local medical centre for the past 3 years and the friendly faces have become known to me

For this reason, you will not get a shadowing placement there.

Sorry.
Reply 4
why wont they offer me shadowing work placement, is there something wrong with the sentence, please explain.

Thank you:smile:
Original post by casio1
why wont they offer me shadowing work placement, is there something wrong with the sentence, please explain.

Thank you:smile:

Confidentiality issues will prevent you from shadowing at your local GP, especially if you are a patient there.

Quick Reply