Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically i have to choose relatively soon between Newcastle and Manchester for Architecture and secondly my insurance choice between Oxford Brookes and Nottingham:
    what i'm looking for is somewhere with quite an art based course but obvioiusly some elements of science, probably not too large a uni but not too big a deal, and somewhere with the best career prospects
    does anyone have an opinion on which ones are more fun, have the best reputation for both the course and city and which are worth the distance from London?
    thank you X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxy101)
    Basically i have to choose relatively soon between Newcastle and Manchester for Architecture and secondly my insurance choice between Oxford Brookes and Nottingham:
    what i'm looking for is somewhere with quite an art based course but obvioiusly some elements of science, probably not too large a uni but not too big a deal, and somewhere with the best career prospects
    does anyone have an opinion on which ones are more fun, have the best reputation for both the course and city and which are worth the distance from London?
    thank you X
    Try posting in the Architecture forum

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick Nottingham as firm and Oxford Brookes as insurance but that's just me. They will all be arty enough.

Architects Journal survey of the top firms puts Nottingham/Manchester/Oxford Brookes all as joint fourth. Newcastle isn't mentioned.

Have you visited any of of the schools?

ReputationRep:
    thank you X
    What is your offer from Nottingham? It wouldn't make sense to put Nottingham as insurance if it's the same as Manchester and Newcastle. To be honest I prefer Nottingham, not at all biased because I'm going there next year, whilst Oxford Brookes has a lower offer so I'd put that as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenman27)
    What is your offer from Nottingham? It wouldn't make sense to put Nottingham as insurance if it's the same as Manchester and Newcastle. To be honest I prefer Nottingham, not at all biased because I'm going there next year, whilst Oxford Brookes has a lower offer so I'd put that as insurance.
    My offer for nottingham is AAB instead of AAA for newcastle and manchester
    and it's the same offer as oxford brookes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeyserNI)
    I'd pick Nottingham as firm and Oxford Brookes as insurance but that's just me. They will all be arty enough.

Architects Journal survey of the top firms puts Nottingham/Manchester/Oxford Brookes all as joint fourth. Newcastle isn't mentioned.

Have you visited any of of the schools?
    oh ok thank you
    yep i've visited them all but still not sure!

ReputationRep:
    My offer for nottingham is AAB instead of AAA for newcastle and manchester
    and it's the same offer as oxford brookes
    Oh, then that makes it all very different. Then it's all down to which one you like more, I'd still say that Nottingham is the best out of those. But if you definitely want an AAB insurance then I'd chose Manchester from the AAA offers and put Nottingham as insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford has beautiful architecture.

Oh you mean the course....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenman27)
    Well, clearly it would make sense to he/she wanted to go to their more than Manc/OxB. Its what I did, and I make-d*e^d Sen$Eeeeeeeeeeeeee.

OP ---->
    1.Newcastle
    2.Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care what the offers are Nottingham would be top of my list and Newcastle would be last. If Nottingham have lowered their offer for you then they must want you on the course.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to hate Newcastle on here, not really sure why. I am in my second year there and I think it's great. Really good studio culture. It's more arty but still manages to maintain a good balance between art and science. There's a good architecture society and good relationship between the different years, which creates a nice atmosphere within the school. The University has a strong connection with the city as it is situated at the centre of the city and the design philosophy of the school reflects this as well.
    Also, if people are insisting that Nottingham is the best, the head of school at Nottingham moved to Newcastle at the beginning of this year and is making a huge difference within the school. In my oppinion Newcastle is just as good as any of the others on your list.

ReputationRep:
    thank you X
    I'm just finishing second year at manchester so if you want to know anything just ask

if you want an arts based course forget Newcastle one of my housemates from last year her friend does arch at nc and its a more technical course...

similar thing with Nottingham.

Manchester sit somewhere in the middle i guess, you can go what ever route you want to..

I also really liked OB when I was applying and it seemed quite arty, it reminds of UCl how you pick units in 2nd and 3rd year so your mixed which is really cool, something we dont have at manchester

if you want to know specifics just drop me a message or post in the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie393)
    People seem to hate Newcastle on here, not really sure why. I am in my second year there and I think it's great. Really good studio culture. It's more arty but still manages to maintain a good balance between art and science. There's a good architecture society and good relationship between the different years, which creates a nice atmosphere within the school. The University has a strong connection with the city as it is situated at the centre of the city and the design philosophy of the school reflects this as well.
    Also, if people are insisting that Nottingham is the best, the head of school at Nottingham moved to Newcastle at the beginning of this year and is making a huge difference within the school. In my oppinion Newcastle is just as good as any of the others on your list.
    i'm not sure whether you'd know but might as well ask! basically i am worried i might miss out on my AAA offer
    i mean currently i'd expect perhaps an A* art, A french and maybe a B latin and was wondering if you knew whether i still have a chance
    obviously i'm still aiming and its possible to boost that B but just wondering if they'd care a lot about a latin a level really
    just as a reassurement! thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.