Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The truth about Black girls and their hair!!! watch

ReputationRep:

Hey guys, I'm sorry if what I'm going to say sounds racist. Anyway, I sit next to this black girl in my French class, last week I asked her how she washed her real hair because she always has it braided or has fake hair which she says is glued on to her real hair. Her reply to my question was something like she never washed her hair incase her braids and weave lost their shine,got smelly and dry!!!:eek:

My conclusion from what she told me was that most of the black girls in my school with intense fake hairstyles never washed their hair so must have itchy scalps, full of dandruff and lice so nobody should go out with them.

When one of my friends asked to use the hairpin of the same black girl yesterday during Maths I whispered to her, half jokingly, that it probably had "some little lice" attached to it because she doesn't wash her hair. My friend ignored my comment and went aheard to receive one of her hairpin but unfortunately the black girl heard me and after school she ambushed me at the school gate, threating to tell our head of year that I had been racist next Monday. I've to be in school on Monday for Easter revision as I'm sitting my GCSEs this summer.

Anyway, I'm really worried wether what the black girl says will get me in trouble. Wasn't what I said somewhat true though? Was it racist? Should I have kept my gob quiet? Pls educate me.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldnt have said that !

ReputationRep:
    You sir, are an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    You sir, are an idiot.
    I concur.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh ****. She is going to have you wrapped around her finger for the rest of the year.

ReputationRep:
    Come now guys, haven't you seen the signs?
    Don't feed the troll.

ReputationRep:
    Just say 'anyway', jeeez.

ReputationRep:
    Your first paragraph didn't seem too bad. The rest of it however :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim1234567)
    Come now guys, haven't you seen the signs?
    Don't feed the troll.
    This isn't a troll you fool. I'm really worried.

ReputationRep:
    lice like clean hair..

ReputationRep:
    Wow, somebody actually pos repped this idiot :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm entertained but what you said is still a little racist

ReputationRep:
    Ok time for a little education!
    Weave is sewn on to a person's hair - black, or white. A person who wears weave, will wear it for a considerable amount of time without washing their hair, but that doesn't mean that they NEVER wash their hair. There're also the types of weaves that one glues onto their hair. These can be washed the same as the real hair. I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that if someone (a black girl, you said) wears a weave they will never wash their hair...
    Anyway...
    You also mentioned braids - this could mean extensions as well, but you didn't specify. Just to let you know that braids (extensions or real hair) can be taken out. After taking the braids out, the person will then WASH THEIR HAIR!

I don't think you are racist, I think you are incredibly ignorant (and stupid) to make a claim that black people don't wash their hair, and that they all probably have lice.
    I also think it's astounding that you named this thread "The truth about black people and their hair" Are you TRYING to piss people off?
    *sigh*
    Well, that's all i'm going to say. I'm a little irritated at your lack of sense about this but, hey, perhaps that was your first interaction with a black person. Next time, try not to make assumptions based on someone's race like that - I know we all do it, but it would be better if you didn't whisper it maliciously to your friends. That way you wont get called out for being racist instead of ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    Black girls don't wash their hair when there's extensions or weave because it could get wet and ruin it...I'm also Black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian)
    Hey guys, I'm sorry if what I'm going to say sounds racist. Anywhere, I sit next to this black girl in my French class, last week I asked her how she washed her real hair because she always has it braided or has fake hair which she says is glued on to her real hair. Her reply to my question was something like she never washed her hair incase her braids and weave lost their shine,got smelly and dry!!!:eek:

My conclusion from what she told me was that most of the black girls in my school with intense fake hairstyles never washed their hair so must have itchy scalps, full of dandruff and lice so nobody should go out with them.

When one of my friends asked to use the hairpin of the same black girl yesterday during Maths I whispered to her, half jokingly, that it probably had "some little lice" attached to it because she doesn't wash her hair. My friend ignored my comment and went aheard to receive one of her hairpin but unfortunately the black girl heard me and after school she ambushed me at the school gate, threating to tell our head of year that I had been racist next Monday. I've to be in school on Monday for Easter revision as I'm sitting my GCSEs this summer.

Anywhere, I'm really worried wether what the black girl says will get me in trouble. Wasn't what I said somewhat true though? Was it racist? Should I have kept my gob quiet? Pls educate me.
    I myself am black and do not find this racist at all. However i can understand why she the girl was upset. That still gives her no right to threaten you.
    She was most probably annoyed at your slight ignorance, even someone non black would still find it offensive if you implied they had lice. You too would not like it. What the girl failed to tell you
    was not all black people don't wash their hair when they have braid and extensions in because you can infact wash hair, but you have to be careful not to damage the extensions and braids. And she forgot to tell you that she washes hair when she has old extensions out before having New ones in.
    You really should not have made that comment because its offensive rather than racist. It wasn't your fault that you did not have all the information before making such a comment. I would advise you to research on something first that you are not sure about.
    If that girl does make a complaint, apologise (which you should have done already) and honestly explain everything to the teachers about al that happened.

ReputationRep:
    Dear god you are ignorant. Good luck in life.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is made of fail: http://tinyurl.com/3dkqhsn

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, a person’s hair can still be washed while they have braids in, it’s just down to an individual if they want to or not. Secondly, you may think it’s “unclean” that black people don’t wash their hair every day/every other day (like some white people may do) however, this is because stereotypical “black hair” is much dryer than white people’s hair, and due to this washing our hair as regularly as other races may do, is actually bad for our hair.

ReputationRep:
    Besides, lice do not have a preference for 'clean' or 'dirty' hair.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.