Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

I'm looking a bit haggard these days :( watch

ReputationRep:
    And I don't know why?

I recently turned 21 and I was looking through photos from a few years ago, and I can see a proper difference! I don't think it's age...??! I mean I'm not a teen anymore but I'm hardly old...

I'll try to explain. My skin doesn't look as nice as it did, it was more smooth, and my complexion was better. I look more...colourless now. My eyes and eye socket area somehow looks less fresh and more hollow. In comparasion now I just look rough. I have alright features, and my figures improved even though I've put on weight - somehow my fat distribution means I'm more hourglass than I was. But my FACE! It's depressing, I feel like I look like a drug addict.

I don't drink that much at all. Only when I go out properly and that's only about once a week when I'm at uni. On a normal day and when I'm at home I don't touch a drop.
    Never smoked or actually done drugs.

Granted my diet can be a bit **** and I only recently started exercising properly, but can that really be the cause? Because those things have never been different. Also I sleep really irregularly, go to bed really late and rarely get up before 11, but I still get 8 hours normally. And on the days when I do sleep properly, even a few nights in a row, I still look like this.

What can it be? Help me beautiful people of TSRRR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~flutterby~)
    And I don't know why?

I recently turned 21 and I was looking through photos from a few years ago, and I can see a proper difference! I don't think it's age...??! I mean I'm not a teen anymore but I'm hardly old...

I'll try to explain. My skin doesn't look as nice as it did, it was more smooth, and my complexion was better. I look more...colourless now. My eyes and eye socket area somehow looks less fresh and more hollow. In comparasion now I just look rough. I have alright features, and my figures improved even though I've put on weight - somehow my fat distribution means I'm more hourglass than I was. But my FACE! It's depressing, I feel like I look like a drug addict.

I don't drink that much at all. Only when I go out properly and that's only about once a week when I'm at uni. On a normal day and when I'm at home I don't touch a drop.

Granted my diet can be a bit **** and I only recently started exercising properly, but can that really be the cause? Because those things have never been different. Also I sleep really irregularly, go to bed really late and rarely get up before 11, but I still get 8 hours normally. And on the days when I do sleep properly, even a few nights in a row, I still look like this.

I'm sure you look fine, women focus too much on how they look. a winning personality and a nice smile is all you need

ReputationRep:
    lol not to worry too much because even though im only 17 but I CAN look like that sometimes if i dont take care of my skin, dont eat properly and have alot of work to do and dont get proper sleep. You HAVE to make sure you get PROPER sleep which means MORE than 8 hours if possible. Other than that start drinking more water and eat more fruit and veg.

Now the above is what you usually hear, BUT ill also remind you that you SHOULD take care of your skin; by exfloiting, mosturizing, getting facials done at least every month.

http://dermalogica.com/uk/html/products.html

the above website has good facial products, i also recommend you treat yourself with facials, skin laser treatment etc every 3 months. You've got to a age where if you dont take care of your skin from now on, it would start to age very quickly. Best of luck, main thing to remember is NOT to stress, stress also causes changes in the body which affects our skin, eyes, etc

ReputationRep:
    Pics, or it didn't happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon1992)
    I'm sure you look fine, women focus too much on how they look. a winning personality and a nice smile is all you need
    You won't say that when I find my teeth start falling out next year. :eek:

It's in the job description of being a woman to be neurotic about looks and there's nothing more depressing than feeling like you're 'past it' and you can't do anything about it, especially when you're 21 for pity's sake.

I'm going to be super healthy with diet/exercise/sleep and see if there's any improvement so I can rule that out. Then if I still look like this I'll turn to botox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d_star)
    lol not to worry too much because even though im only 17 but I CAN look like that sometimes if i dont take care of my skin, dont eat properly and have alot of work to do and dont get proper sleep. You HAVE to make sure you get PROPER sleep which means MORE than 8 hours if possible. Other than that start drinking more water and eat more fruit and veg.

Now the above is what you usually hear, BUT ill also remind you that you SHOULD take care of your skin; by exfloiting, mosturizing, getting facials done at least every month.

http://dermalogica.com/uk/html/products.html

the above website has good facial products, i also recommend you treat yourself with facials, skin laser treatment etc every 3 months. You've got to a age where if you dont take care of your skin from now on, it would start to age very quickly. Best of luck, main thing to remember is NOT to stress, stress also causes changes in the body which affects our skin, eyes, etc
    ...really?!?!

I don't have the money or time (or patience) for that lol...I'm a student, and I'm not really into going to beauty places or getting things done professonally. I've always been in the habit of exfoliating and moisturizing daily though, my skin's a bit dry so I definitely moisturise enough. I bought some sun lotion today as well which I'm going to start using everyday, but I can't see myself investing more than that tbh

ReputationRep:
    ...really?!?!

I don't have the money or time (or patience) for that lol...I'm a student, and I'm not really into going to beauty places or getting things done professonally. I've always been in the habit of exfoliating and moisturizing daily though, my skin's a bit dry so I definitely moisturise enough. I bought some sun lotion today as well which I'm going to start using everyday, but I can't see myself investing more than that tbh
    wel its great that you do your own personal cleaning etc face, if you cant afford it then its ok because you already stated you do abit of that, maybe you are under stress lately, think of any changes in the past couple of months or year, that could have put you under stress (which you realise or dont realise). This could be making you look more dull and down. I also think you should try getting a fake tan, always gives you a good glow. lol

ReputationRep:
    Tanning salon. And more make-up!

ReputationRep:
    And I don't know why?

Granted my diet (1) can be a bit **** and I only recently started exercising properly, but can that really be the cause? Because those things have never been different. Also I sleep really irregularly (2), go to bed really late and rarely get up before 11, but I still get 8 hours normally. And on the days when I do sleep properly, even a few nights in a row, I still look like this.

Suggestions for you:

1) Deit: make sure you eat fresh fruits & milk (non processed) ....twice.... morning & night.....I think citrus fruits (oranges would be a good choice) should do the trick for the skin. Also, make sure you take fruits that are good antioxidants as well ( blueberries, blackberries, pomegranates...again these should be fresh....not processed...).

2) Pick a consistent sleep pattern!!!!!! I cant stress this more!!!!! This can really reduce your energy levels & productivity otherwise! I have the same problem, but a lot less severe than last year, trying to correct it. LOL! I wouldn't say you'd become a super "YOU" when you have a consistent sleep pattern, BUT it definitely increases the time you can work without felling tired/sleepy!

3)if you think you've changed very much & feel something is alarmingly wrong!?!......just see a GP!

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    i was suggesting that, but taking more care of skin and overall health, because makeup looks better if you have healthy face and nice healthy skin. but tanning isnt always recommended, why change your skin colour if your happy with it, :confused: thats what confuses me about white girls, if your happy with your pale skin, leave it, dont go and change it, gosh some white girls looks darker than me (more like orange blobs) and im half brazilian/mexican lol. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i was suggesting that, but taking more care of skin and overall health, because makeup looks better if you have healthy face and nice healthy skin. but tanning isnt always recommended, why change your skin colour if your happy with it, :confused: thats what confuses me about white girls, if your happy with your pale skin, leave it, dont go and change it, gosh some white girls looks darker than me (more like orange blobs) and im half brazilian/mexican lol. :confused:
    I'm not saying she should be lazy in the other departments. Tanning and make-up can't make up for poor diet, basic facial treatments, etc. It's just that I personally think a nice (real) tan and good, matching make-up can make every girl look better - when done in moderation.

ReputationRep:

wel its great that you do your own personal cleaning etc face, if you cant afford it then its ok because you already stated you do abit of that, maybe you are under stress lately, think of any changes in the past couple of months or year, that could have put you under stress (which you realise or dont realise). This could be making you look more dull and down. I also think you should try getting a fake tan, always gives you a good glow. lol
    Tbh something happened a couple of years ago that really affected me emotionally. I went through a really bad phase for about a year and pretty much put my life on hold and became a recluse...I've seen depression affect the physical appearance of someone quite a bit older than me drastically. But I'm competely better now, and have been for about a year, so I thought I'd recover (if it did indeed affect my appearance), being young and sprightly as opposed to pushing 50.

Hmmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Yeah but I'd rather sort out the root of the problem, if I can. Make up looks **** on bad skin anyway, and even eye make up, if it's too heavy, can make the problem of tired looking eyes worse. Then you really look like a drug addict.

And I don't want to look orange thanks. No offence, I know you're trying to help.

Edit: just saw your other post!

ReputationRep:
    Has the "bloom" of your skin gone?
    It's weird- you see women with no wrinkles but you know they're older because they don't have that "bloom".

I read a tip for firming up skin on your face- I imagine this would be good for the delicate skin under your eyes- plunging your face in a bowl of ice cold water every morning for a few minutes. Then there's the usual things like tea bags, cucumber etc.

Try drinking lots of water?

Only if it really bothers you- I bet other people wouldn't be able to notice it! Don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolDude)
    Suggestions for you:

1) Deit: make sure you eat fresh fruits & milk (non processed) ....twice.... morning & night.....I think citrus fruits (oranges would be a good choice) should do the trick for the skin. Also, make sure you take fruits that are good antioxidants as well ( blueberries, blackberries, pomegranates...again these should be fresh....not processed...).

2) Pick a consistent sleep pattern!!!!!! I cant stress this more!!!!! This can really reduce your energy levels & productivity otherwise! I have the same problem, but a lot less severe than last year, trying to correct it. LOL! I wouldn't say you'd become a super "YOU" when you have a consistent sleep pattern, BUT it definitely increases the time you can work without felling tired/sleepy!

3)if you think you've changed very much & feel something is alarmingly wrong!?!......just see a GP!

Hope that helps
    I actually do eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg, well over 5 a day. It's just that I also eat stuff like chocolate and sweets and salty snacks a lot. So I will reduce them.

I also need to sort out my sleep, for sure. I hope it makes as much of a difference as you say it will!

Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    And I don't know why?

Start exercising more (you'd be surprised), go for like 20min runs every other day or something. Start drinking more water and eating more fruit/veg, and use skincare products like moisturiser and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Has the "bloom" of your skin gone?
    It's weird- you see women with no wrinkles but you know they're older because they don't have that "bloom".

I read a tip for firming up skin on your face- I imagine this would be good for the delicate skin under your eyes- plunging your face in a bowl of ice cold water every morning for a few minutes. Then there's the usual things like tea bags, cucumber etc.

Try drinking lots of water?

Only if it really bothers you- I bet other people wouldn't be able to notice it! Don't worry about it!
    BLOOM! haha that made me laugh :rofl:

Yes, I think my bloom has abandoned me.

I think plunging my face into cold water will help me wake up earlier at least, even if it doesn't help my skin. I'm always a bit skeptical about how helpful putting bits of vegetable on my face will really be...

Thanks for the tips

ReputationRep:
    BLOOM! haha that made me laugh :rofl:

Yes, I think my bloom has abandoned me.

I think plunging my face into cold water will help me wake up earlier at least, even if it doesn't help my skin. I'm always a bit skeptical about how helpful putting bits of vegetable on my face will really be...

Thanks for the tips

Happy to be of laughing stock. Help is overrated I guess

ReputationRep:
    I actually do eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg, well over 5 a day. It's just that I also eat stuff like chocolate and sweets and salty snacks a lot. So I will reduce them.

I also need to sort out my sleep, for sure. I hope it makes as much of a difference as you say it will!

Thanks for your advice
    I also eat stuff like chocolate and sweets and salty snacks a lot. OMG! How could you do that ? that's violating rule #1 in the Pretty Girl's Constitution! LOL! who doesn't do that....as long as you eat fruits with junk food its alright !

Ya...you need to get your sleep patterns synchronized! I think that's the only problem here.

Your welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    Happy to be of laughing stock. Help is overrated I guess

I have given you some rep if it makes you feel better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.