Turn on thread page Beta

I'm looking a bit haggard these days :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Try drinking more water, you might be dehydrated or something.

ReputationRep:
    - drink more water
    - eat more fruit and vegetables
    - avoid processed foods
    - no sunbeds/don't tan too much - damages the skin and accelerates ageing
    - use blusher + highlighter
    - exercise regularly
    - get more sleep
    - take omega 3 fish oils + multivitamin
    - make sure you're eating enough protein
    - don't smoke
    - avoid alcohol
    - moisturize + use serum + eye cream if you don't already, even cheap brands like Garnier or Superdrug Swiss Apply are better than nothing. If you can afford to spend more, Estee Lauder and Clarins do some great skincare products, especially serums.
    - take up something relaxing e.g. yoga, bubble baths
    - wash your skin with lukewarm, rather than HOT water.
    - exfoliate once a week with a GENTLE scrub

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    - drink more water
    - eat more fruit and vegetables
    - avoid processed foods
    - no sunbeds/don't tan too much
    - use blusher + highlighter
    - exercise regularly
    - get more sleep
    - take omega 3 fish oils + multivitamin
    - make sure you're eating enough protein

Thanks! That a very good 'definitive' list, I should pin it up between a photo of 'haggard' me and 'good' me haha...

Edit: ooh there's more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~flutterby~)
    Thanks! That a very good 'definitive' list, I should pin it up between a photo of 'haggard' me and 'good' me haha...

Edit: ooh there's more
    Also:

- eat more fish/seafood, even seaweed (as found in sushi or in dried form in Oriental supermarkets: Korean/Japanese/Thai) may help
    - there are supplements you can take take for your skin which usually include various vitamins (often vitamin E) but sometimes other things (random things from poor sea animals) claimed to improve skin. there are brands like Imerdeen, Perfectil. I have no idea if these work, but my mum swears by Imerdeen and her skin is great for her age. A cheaper, but maybe less effective (??) alternative could be just to take a multivitamin or Holland and Barrett do tablets for skin, nails and hair. Just make sure you don't OD on the vitamins and check the recommended daily allowance on the side of the box. Imo, who knows if it works, but if it's fairly harmless, I'll try it.
    - just generally eat a varied diet with as much variety of healthy foods as possible
    - green tea
    - any food with antioxidants

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Do you often feel run down aswel?!
    As if no matter how much sleep you get you still feel haggared?
    I've felt like this for a long time - noticed same as you, few years ago looked so much healthier whereas now
    I look pale, bags under eyes(no matter how much sleep i get), very dry lifeless skin and hair, despite exercising and eating fruit n veg.
    If this sounds similar to you i suggest you ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels and also iron levels for anaemia!

I found out my iron levels were reaaally low!! And so was the thyroid. Nice to know it wasnt just in my head - kept thinking i looked different but did all the right things but made no difference!

So try health eating, sleeping etc first and if you feel it doesnt really get better go see your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Hey
    Do you often feel run down aswel?!
    As if no matter how much sleep you get you still feel haggared?
    I've felt like this for a long time - noticed same as you, few years ago looked so much healthier whereas now
    I look pale, bags under eyes(no matter how much sleep i get), very dry lifeless skin and hair, despite exercising and eating fruit n veg.
    If this sounds similar to you i suggest you ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels and also iron levels for anaemia!

I found out my iron levels were reaaally low!! And so was the thyroid. Nice to know it wasnt just in my head - kept thinking i looked different but did all the right things but made no difference!

So try health eating, sleeping etc first and if you feel it doesnt really get better go see your doctor.
    I had blood tests last year because I suspected low iron levels, and it turned out to be well under the normal level. So I take iron tabs now. My hair was actually falling out, it was that bad! It's alright now. So it's not that, and everything else, including thyroid, was healthy.

I'm hoping it's a simple case of sleep and diet etc. and if not, I'll just accept that I'm not a fresh faced youth anymore :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Google Waitrose baby bottom butter, read the hype then buy some off ebay....It is actually amazing amazing stuff. Its RRP is £2.50 but I payed £12 off ebay for it.

I am 22 by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opinionscount66)
    Google Waitrose baby bottom butter, read the hype then buy some off ebay....It is actually amazing amazing stuff. Its RRP is £2.50 but I payed £12 off ebay for it.

I am 22 by the way.
    Do you put it on your face? The name implying it's for babies, and I presume, their bottoms.

What has it done for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~flutterby~)
    Do you put it on your face? The name implying it's for babies, and I presume, their bottoms.

What has it done for you?
    Yeah I do put it on my face before bed, It just makes your skin very very soft and even looking and it kind of plumps it and makes it look healthy if that makes sense?

Good stuff, a pot lasts aggges...

Oh i will say it is greasy when you put it on, but then I just wash it off in the morning and the job is done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Tanning salon. And more make-up!

I'm not saying she should be lazy in the other departments. Tanning and make-up can't make up for poor diet, basic facial treatments, etc. It's just that I personally think a nice (real) tan and good, matching make-up can make every girl look better - when done in moderation.
    Tanning comes just under smoking as the worst thing you can do for your skin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betaomega)
    Tanning comes just under smoking as the worst thing you can do for your skin!
    I think the OP is looking for a short-term fix. I've been tanning every week for the better part of a decade and my skin is super. Might be different in 30 years, but it's ok to be wrinkly when you're retired

ReputationRep:
    How much water are you drinking? It's amazing the difference keeping topped up on water can make - even if you don't feel thirsty, there's a strong chance you're dehydrated. That's make your skin look lifeless and slightly...grey/colourless.

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP is looking for a short-term fix. I've been tanning every week for the better part of a decade and my skin is super. Might be different in 30 years, but it's ok to be wrinkly when you're retired
    You mean like sunbed tanning?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    How much water are you drinking? It's amazing the difference keeping topped up on water can make - even if you don't feel thirsty, there's a strong chance you're dehydrated. That's make your skin look lifeless and slightly...grey/colourless.

Um, pure water probably about 4 glasses. But a lot of other fluids like milk and squash and diet fizzy drinks and tea...also soup and salad everyday as well as fruit.

I do drink a lot of coffee though which I think is dehydrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by opinionscount66)
    Yeah I do put it on my face before bed, It just makes your skin very very soft and even looking and it kind of plumps it and makes it look healthy if that makes sense?

Good stuff, a pot lasts aggges...

Oh i will say it is greasy when you put it on, but then I just wash it off in the morning and the job is done.
    I've googled it. I might try it seeing as I have to use moisturiser anyway. My skin's pretty dry, so I use E45 which worked really well in the winter when my skin was really suffering.

It's quite cheap as well, which makes me happy. Thanks for the tip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betaomega)
    You mean like sunbed tanning?:eek:
    Of course. No way I will lay out in the sun and risk getting burnt. At a good salon, with well-serviced sunbeds and scheduled lightbulb changes, you are much safer than in the real sun.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.