Turn on thread page Beta

Reasons for being FOR the Death Penalty? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not actually FOR the Death Penalty.
    However, I need help on further reasons and facts to support my argument in an English debate that would persuade people to think the same.

I've done some research beforehand, so I'm looking for other interesting things I could say or give examples of to support my argument and case. It's a little challenging because like I said, I'm not FOR the Death Penalty.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it costs a lot of money to keep a prisoner in prison all their life, and this money obviously comes from the taxpayer and therefore the victim themselves.

PS. I don't agree with the Death Penalty either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LN239)
    I'm not actually FOR the Death Penalty.
    However, I need help on further reasons and facts to support my argument in an English debate that would persuade people to think the same.

I've done some research beforehand, so I'm looking for other interesting things I could say or give examples of to support my argument and case. It's a little challenging because like I said, I'm not FOR the Death Penalty.

Thanks!
    Enjoy.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061100406.html

ReputationRep:
    The main factual arguments are probably:
    Deterrence
    No Re-offending
    Less prison overcrowding

The more subjective, emotional argument would be:
    Someone who takes another person's life forfeits their own right to life; they get what they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    A utilitarian perspective on capital punishment. Money that would otherwise be spent on providing for the criminal is donated to certain charities to save hundreds, if not thousands of lives by e.g. providing clean water to villages in Africa.

Sense of justice for the family.

An opt-out scheme - if you don't want someone who commits a crime against you to be subject to the death penalty, then opt-out of it.

Libertarian perspective - if someone steals £1000 off you, you are entitled to £1000 back off you. If someone takes your life off you, they cannot simply give you your life back, and you are entitled to their life in turn.

Many religious texts endorse capital punishment.

Highly civilised countries carry out capital punishment (Japan, Singapore) - just because it's not in Western culture doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

ReputationRep:
    I studied criminology at uni for a year, and the first thing we covered was reasons for punishment and how the reasons can be broken down into two basic concepts, reductive and retributive. Reductive involves reducing and preventing future crime, while retributive is more akin to the traditional idea of "justice for the victims". I'm personally of the opinion that we should punish solely from a reductionist standpoint, retributive reasoning brings in personal bias, introduces unnecessary cost, and only benefits a limited group of people.

Anyways, my reasoning;

*Eliminates the risk of re-offending in extremely dangerous individuals. Even in prison they can be a risk to anyone they come into contact with.
    *Extremely expensive to hold such individuals in maximum security prisons for even a year, never mind an entire lifetime.
    *A superior deterrent to other people than the threat of prison alone.

That being said, I think it should only be employed in conclusively hopeless case,s where the risk of releasing them, or even keeping them in prison/psychiactric facility is too high. It should not be used on anybody and everybody who enters the prison system for serious crimes.

ReputationRep:
    Big Deterrence to other criminals
    Much more humane than locking someone up for many years
    Much cheaper than locking someone up
    Some people (e.g. serial murders) are un-rehabilitable

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.