Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, this thread is about male balding, hence the aptly named title.

I'm 20 years old, and luckily am not balding currently. However, I find myself absolutely terrified at the prospect! Every day when walking around I constantly look at people's hairlines and judge whether they're doing well for their age. I have become obsessed, I even do superstitious things, like when I see an old man with a lot of hair I say in my head (I want hair like that when I'm his age). Sounds bizarre I know . I have some friends my age (SHOCK HORROR), one of them is nearly bald, others are receding.

P.S this isn't a troll post, I just have an eccentric thread starting style

Is anyone here balding? is anyone scared of balding? Does anyone not give a ****? :eek:

Discuss

ReputationRep:
    Well i have a great receding hairline going on atm (Thanks Moms side of the family lol) tbh I don't know many people who dont have at least some form of receding hairline (I'm 22 btw) Its just one of those things, it doesn't really bother me tbh

ReputationRep:
    From a girl's perspective: I can understand why it a big deal for guys but I personally don't find it an issue when it comes to relationships etc.. I go for guys that are generally nice looking and have good personalities.

If you're going to neg me, can you at least give a reason please?

ReputationRep:
    hey, my bf is your age and hes becoming bald lol, but it think its fine, because some men look better without hair e.g. pitbull lol and some look better with hair, if your losing hair and theres no hope left then shave it all off because i think its a turnoff if theres like bits of hair left etc, i know im a girl (but always nice to hear from a girls point of view lol)

ReputationRep:
    Boots sell a variety of hair loss prevention products that I have read actually work. You take them and they keep your hair at exactly the same level of growth for as long as you take them. So theoretically if you start now you can have a 20 year old's hairline til you're 80.

ReputationRep:
    I've been blessed with pretty thick, fast growing hair, so I don't see myself going bald very soon, but when it comes, it'll come and I will deal with it. I don't sit around panicking, I've got enough on my mind most of the time

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified, although I'm showing no signs and it doesn't run in the family.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a pretty high hairline since my late teens and it got worse from there. At 21, I decided to shave my head for the first time. I let it grow again two years later when I did an internship at a rather conservative company but it only reminded me how crap my hair is, so back to shaved. Next year me and my baldness will have our 10th anniversary and I perfectly fine with it. The ladies don't seem to mind, as long as you have got the right head shape, a nice face, good body, and good dress sense. Having a tan is also pretty important when sporting a shaved head, you'll look like a cancer patient if you're pale.

ReputationRep:
    My bro's 21 and the front section of his hair is totally gone, he first started balding around age 20. He was absolutely devastated but he got over it, he now accepts it and has self confidence. These kind of things happen a lot of guys and most men at some age will bald, you just have to learn to live with it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or are people getting bald at a younger age nowadays. About a decade ago being bald at the age of between late teens and early twenties was pretty much unheard of.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.