Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is it like from those that have studied it? To what extent does it combine the subjects and how much reading is there (I don't mind reading)? And what does the course consist of?

Would it combine well with History, Government and Politics and Business/Economics?

Many thanks,

I do AS English Lang/Lit AQA Spec A.

For the AS so far I'd say it was more Language orientated than Literature, but I suspect that in the A2 it will be more Literature orientated (as it's all about poetry)

For the first exam I studied and analysed the play A Streecar Named Desire then in the exam I wrote a creative writing piece based upon it. I had to write a letter between two characters before the play had started and in past exams they've asked you to write about the location and finish a scene.
    I also had to write a language and character analysis of Wuthering Heights, which focused mainly on the characterisation and themes of the novel.
    For my next exam in June I'm studying the play Waiting for Godot and in the exam I write an essay on how speech is representated between the two characters and what they way they speak tells the audience about them. I also have to anaylse 2 unseen speeches; one is formal, prepared text and the other is a spontaneous transcript. We've learned all about the reasons why people use certain language featuers and to what effect in much more detail than in the GCSE.

There's not loads of compulsary reading invovled for the AS. Most people in my group didn't read Wuthering Heights and still got a D. The list of books for the teachers to chose from is pretty big so some groups study 2 modern texts, some study 2 older texts. I think I was expected to have read other Victorian Literature and I do think reading Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice before the exam helped me understand Wuthering Heights.

I do History and Government and Politics too by the way, along with Psychology

Would you say you enjoy doing the English, History and G+P together. How much essay work is it? Do they relate? And pros and cons?

loads of essay work

I'm doing Language and Literature separately, and I prefer Lit. Language is very dry and I found the coursework more difficult than Lit's. Although, the Language exam is easier in my opinion. Literature is also more respected and the content covered in A2 is fascinating.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.