Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I recently lost my job and have been on the hunt for another!
    I really need a job right now so wanted to apply carefully, and make sure I get interviews..

Can you guys please help me answer the next questionnaire, hopefully this will help others too..

If its against the rules, dont tell me the answers but can you just say if you agree or disagree with my choices..

Which three High Street Retailers do you consider to be Next's biggest clothing competitors?

Debenhams
    Dorothy Perkins
    Dunnes
    Marks & Spencer
    Matalan
    New Look
    Penny's
    Primark
    River Island
    Tesco
    TK Maxx
    Top Shop

I chose..Marks and spencer..debenhams and tkmaxx. I was thinking maybe matalan would be better than tkmaxx though? Unsure

How would you best describe the Next brand? Please select three answers.

Catwalk fashions
    Cheap clothes
    Designer labels
    Good quality
    Haute Couture
    High fashion
    Modern classic styles
    On trend
    Sportswear
    Value for money

I would go for ... Good quality, Value for money..and either on trend or modern classic styles.

8. What is the main purpose for having a member of staff at the front entrance at all times?

To be a welcoming face at the front door for customers to see.
    To entice customers to come into the store.
    To prevent theft.
    To tidy the stock at the entrance of the store as this is the first thing customers see.

I would go for
    to be a welcoming face...BUT i know from my old job that preventing theft was also a reason. (we had to stand there sometimes even though we had security guards)

Pleaaase, help me! I really need a job right now and I would be really grateful. I know theres not much I can do to show how much Id appreciate your help but I really would genuinely appreciate it.

Also is there anything I can write in my supporting notes that will help with my application?

---------
    Im applying to waitrose also, so could anyone give me any advice for filling in their application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needsomehelp121)

Which three High Street Retailers do you consider to be Next's biggest clothing competitors?

Debenhams
    Dorothy Perkins
    Dunnes
    Marks & Spencer
    Matalan
    New Look
    Penny's
    Primark
    River Island
    Tesco
    TK Maxx
    Top Shop

Those three are unisex retailers in roughly the same market (allowing for TopShop/TopMan)

How would you best describe the Next brand? Please select three answers.

Catwalk fashions
    Cheap clothes
    Designer labels
    Good quality
    Haute Couture
    High fashion
    Modern classic styles
    On trend
    Sportswear
    Value for money

I would go for ... Good quality, Value for money..and either on trend or modern classic styles. I concur, but only because its what they want to hear.

8. What is the main purpose for having a member of staff at the front entrance at all times?

To be a welcoming face at the front door for customers to see.
    To entice customers to come into the store.
    To prevent theft.
    To tidy the stock at the entrance of the store as this is the first thing customers see.

Either of those two, but I have no idea in reality.

Pleaaase, help me! I really need a job right now and I would be really grateful. I know theres not much I can do to show how much Id appreciate your help but I really would appreciate it.

Also is there anything I can write in my supporting notes that will help with my application?
    Just ramble about your experience, work ethic and integrity, and how you want to join a progressive organisation that is a market leader.

---------
    Im applying to waitrose also, so could anyone give me any advice for filling in their application?
    Mention quality as much as possible. And how you have so much respect for the concept of partnership and employee relations in the modern retailer.
    Try for Waitrose. Most girls working in Waitrose are red-hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Try for Waitrose. Most girls working in Waitrose are red-hot.
    Thank you!!!
    Good point about mentioning quality..they think they are the ****!

But you know the first question, wouldnt marks and spencer be one?
    I thought next was like a granny shop? So, I tried to pick granny shops to compare it too? hmm, but your right...the shops you mentioned are the same price range and are high street. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    M&S is also a food retailer and I think its true to say is predominately known for underwear and 40+ women buying clothes for their husbands. Next doesn't think its in that category. I'd say its the sort of place where young people get clothes for their first job. Mobile phone salesmen buy a cheap suit, admin assistants buy a skirt and top - they may not be appropriate for big business, but the buyers are making a sop to the clients' belief that there is a fashion element in there somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    M&S is also a food retailer and I think its true to say is predominately known for underwear and 40+ women buying clothes for their husbands. Next doesn't think its in that category. I'd say its the sort of place where young people get clothes for their first job. Mobile phone salesmen buy a cheap suit, admin assistants buy a skirt and top - they may not be appropriate for big business, but the buyers are making a sop to the clients' belief that there is a fashion element in there somewhere.
    Yeh, that makes alot of sense! Im gonna go for what you said. You know for the other one, do you think I should put on trend OR modern classic styles?

And also, I know it is to prevent theft but do you think thats what they want to hear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needsomehelp121)
    Yeh, that makes alot of sense! Im gonna go for what you said. You know for the other one, do you think I should put on trend OR modern classic styles?
    I don't know. I suppose its an open ended question, and I never shop in Next. If you think it's that important, look at their stuff and come to your own conclusion so at least it would be supported intellectually if you get asked.

And also, I know it is to prevent theft but do you think thats what they want to hear?
    Again, it doesn't really matter. Decide for yourself what you would answer if you were asked.

I think this is really window dressing to weed out the psychos or people that are completely unsuitable. It seems like a lot of work to go to if you don't get a job for much more direct reasons.

Just make sure you are smartly dressed and don't say anything dumb in interview - that will go a lot further. These kind of questions seem very marginal for this kind of position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I don't know. I suppose its an open ended question, and I never shop in Next. If you think it's that important, look at their stuff and come to your own conclusion so at least it would be supported intellectually if you get asked.

Again, it doesn't really matter. Decide for yourself what you would answer if you were asked.

I think this is really window dressing to weed out the psychos or people that are completely unsuitable. It seems like a lot of work to go to if you don't get a job for much more direct reasons.

Just make sure you are smartly dressed and don't say anything dumb in interview - that will go a lot further. These kind of questions seem very marginal for this kind of position.
    How do I give you plus rep or whatever it is? Im gonna press the thumbs up button..hopefully thats what it is...

Just want to say thank you. I havent heard back from next but you did really help anyway, and I appreciate it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.