The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

What was your accommodation 'preference'?

I'm currently applying for accommodation at Sheffield after firming it. I really would like self catered, ensuite at Endcliffe (like almost everyone else :tongue:) but I am stuck over what to put for my preference: room type or location? I love the sound of Endcliffe as it seems a great deal more lively than Ranmoor and closer to the uni itself. However, I'd appreciate the privacy of an ensuite so I'm stuck in a bit of a rut as to what to put.

What have you all put as your preference and why? And any advice to help me choose would be much appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I went with type of room, but only because I really wanted a studio (own kitchen and extra privacy ftw.) and didn't want to repeat the mistake I made three years ago.

> What mistake?

Two words: shared bathroom.

Shared bathrooms suck. I had to experience the horror of shared facilities in Windsor Hall in my first year at the University of Reading. On weekends, the toilets were full of puke and/or feces and the only time to get hot water for a shower was at 7am. I moved to my own apartment within the first week of term.

TLDR: Go for type of room.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Not applying this year but when I did I chose room type. Like you, I wanted Endcliffe, self-catered, en-suite (and this is what I got) but I would rather have lived in Ranmoor with an en-suite than in Endcliffe without one.

'Liveliness' largely depends on your flatmates and Ranmoor's only 5 minutes further away. Still prefer Endcliffe though :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by avila
Shared bathrooms suck. I had to experience the horror of shared facilities in Windsor Hall in my first year at the University of Reading. On weekends, the toilets were full of puke and/or feces and the only time to get hot water for a shower was at 7am. I moved to my own apartment within the first week of term.

That sounds horrific! :eek: But for what it's worth I've never heard of anything like this at Sheffield. Of course that's not to say it doesn't happen...
Reply 4
I chose 'room type' and applied to Endcliffe. Having an ensuite is really important to me and I wouldn't mind living in Ranmoor or Endcliffe to be honest.

If you really can't imagine sharing a bathroom with 5+ people then put down room type.
Location, kinda wish I put it as room type now though.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice everyone. I chose 'Room Type' in the end and I shall just have to hope for Endcliffe!
Reply 7
I chose room type too, I wonder why there wasn't a question about whether you wanted to be in mixed flats or all male/female...? Not that it really matters to me
Reply 8
Original post by AdamBlacky
I chose room type too, I wonder why there wasn't a question about whether you wanted to be in mixed flats or all male/female...? Not that it really matters to me

Yes, there was. The question of "are you willing to share communal areas such as the kitchen/bathrooms with members of the opposite sex" was asking you that.
I put down 'location' as preference then Endcliffe En-suite.

Non-ensuite is more over subscribed than en-suite in Endcliffe (people trying to save money) so if you put location then you are pretty much going to get Endcliffe en-suite.
Reply 10
Original post by Peregrinum
Yes, there was. The question of "are you willing to share communal areas such as the kitchen/bathrooms with members of the opposite sex" was asking you that.

Oh, right, I said I'm willing anyway haha
Reply 11
I've applied for en suite, non catering at Ranmoor :smile: I wanted more of a quiet and cosy feel that I think Ranmoor could give, without being completely deserted, isolated and "anti-party".

Plus, Ranmoor's flats usually contain about 10-12 people which appealed to me more. With that many people, there's bound to be one you'd get along with :p:

I don't mind the distance issue really. Once I could sort out a good and fairly priced bus/shuttle bus/taxi route i'd be fine :smile: Plus, an extra miles walking never harmed anybody haha :p:
Reply 12
Original post by mollymustard
I put down 'location' as preference then Endcliffe En-suite.

Non-ensuite is more over subscribed than en-suite in Endcliffe (people trying to save money) so if you put location then you are pretty much going to get Endcliffe en-suite.

I eventually went for Ranmoor by the way, thanks ever so much for the advice again :biggrin: and congrats on your PGCE!
Original post by xelarose
I eventually went for Ranmoor by the way, thanks ever so much for the advice again :biggrin: and congrats on your PGCE!

You won't regret your choice I'm sure you'll love it :smile: - Any other q's at any time PM away!
Original post by xelarose
Plus, Ranmoor's flats usually contain about 10-12 people which appealed to me more. With that many people, there's bound to be one you'd get along with :p:

I don't mind the distance issue really. Once I could sort out a good and fairly priced bus/shuttle bus/taxi route i'd be fine :smile: Plus, an extra miles walking never harmed anybody haha :p:

Actually, only 25% of the flats have 10+ people in them (and that's excluding Laddow which only has studios) and only two out of 146 (again, excluding Laddow) have 12 people. Also, there really is no extra mile of walking, people are really blowing that out of proportion. The actual time difference (if you head down Fulwood) is more likely to be around 2 minutes.
Original post by Peregrinum
Actually, only 25% of the flats have 10+ people in them (and that's excluding Laddow which only has studios) and only two out of 146 (again, excluding Laddow) have 12 people. Also, there really is no extra mile of walking, people are really blowing that out of proportion. The actual time difference (if you head down Fulwood) is more likely to be around 2 minutes.

Realistically I'd say 5 mins - but I agree people seem to suggest it is alot further out.

The only other main difference is the amenities in the Edge are slightly better than those at the Ridge (Ridge Bar is not as frequently open).
Reply 16
I chose Ranmoor and made location my preference as sheffield is my insurance and I don't wanna be put in private halls or shared bathroom and aperently a lot of insurance get Ranmoor (or so I've been told). I put location as preference cus Ranmoor only has ensuite or studio so either way I (hopefully) get my own bathroom. I don't really want a studio as its more money and might be a bit isolated but i'd prefer it to shared bathroom.
Original post by aprilterri
I chose Ranmoor and made location my preference as sheffield is my insurance and I don't wanna be put in private halls or shared bathroom and aperently a lot of insurance get Ranmoor (or so I've been told). I put location as preference cus Ranmoor only has ensuite or studio so either way I (hopefully) get my own bathroom. I don't really want a studio as its more money and might be a bit isolated but i'd prefer it to shared bathroom.

It is soo unlikely you'd end up with shared bathroom anyway. So many people apply for shared bathroom (to save money) that some of those who apply with it usually end up with en-suite anyway. There are just a few hundred shared properties, and thousands of other en-suite rooms.
Reply 18
Original post by mollymustard
It is soo unlikely you'd end up with shared bathroom anyway. So many people apply for shared bathroom (to save money) that some of those who apply with it usually end up with en-suite anyway. There are just a few hundred shared properties, and thousands of other en-suite rooms.

Oh well that's a relief I'm such a germ freak that id hate having to share.
My preference was room type, because I'd be gutted if I had to share a bathroom again, and even more gutted if I was catered. I wouldn't be too bothered if I ended up on Ranmoor instead of Endcliffe anyway, although I've never seen it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending