Turn on thread page Beta

Ethnic people in the UK and the growing number of mixed race relationships/people... watch

ReputationRep:
    This guy that my dad knows went off on one about mixed marriages and mixed race people... He went way over the top (to emphasise his point, I think).

He's a black guy and he works with a lot of Indian guys in the music industry. He was saying how so many ethnic people these days who live in the UK have lost their roots and have no idea who they are:

"You see these black people dying their hair blonde, wearing blue contact lenses, trying to act like something they're not. They're just trying to fit in with the white culture and they have no idea where they come from or who they are! This is what's happening: people are marrying out of their own race and losing their identity. Imagine what kind of mutants their children will be! They'll have even less an idea of who they are and what their culture is! So many years down the line, no-one will know anything about where they come from, if things carry on like this. You should respect your parents and stay within your own race and know your own culture..." (Just a snippet of what he was saying.)

I really didn't know what to say. I'd only just met the guy and then he says that? Saying it is one thing, but the way he said it is another. It was quite a rant. I didn't want to be rude so all I said was that I thought he was being a bit harsh.

What are your thoughts on what he said? Agree, disagree?

Personally, I don't think it's such a terrible thing, like he was making out. So some people are mixed race, and not 100% of one race? It doesn't have to mean they won't know who they are or where they come from; it just means that they can have the best of both (or several) worlds. More to learn about, and maybe more to be proud of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_p)

It doesn't have to mean they won't know who they are or where they come from; it just means that they can have the best of both (or several) worlds. More to learn about, and maybe more to be proud of?
    This.

What's black people dying their hair blonde got to do with being mixed race anyway?

He used the word "mutants"? He doesn't deserve to pass on his genetic material.

Understanding your culture (or any culture) doesn't come from your physical appearance. Why does being brown/white/black/yellow mean you must learn about "your culture" and not the culture of the society you live in?

What is "ones own culture"? Being a member of the human race means you should learn about human culture.

ReputationRep:
    Brazil has a lot of mixed race people/different ethnicities, but it still has a strong culture.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.