The Student Room Group

Wilfred Owen poem prediction in May?

I'm doing OCR AS English literature. :smile:
Does anyone have any prediction on what might come up this year due to past
exam papers and that?
My teacher is absolutely useless, and I'm forced to annotate and teach myself
about his poems, and it would seriously make my life easier if I had an estimate
of poems that might come up?

Any help :frown:

Confused.com
Reply 1
Don't work on the basis of predictions, just condense your notes on each poem onto a sheet of A4, grouping poems together by themes. I think I'm doing the same course as you - what coursework did you do? - and that's what I'll be doing, as well as practicing timed essays from past papers to get used to writing enough in one hour to get full marks.
Reply 2
Do not take my predictions exactly and still revise all the poems for comparisons and what not.

The poems that I think will definitely not come up as they have been in past papers are:
Dulce et Decoum Est
Disabled
Exposure
Miners
Insensibility (Think that was Jan 2011)
The Show (Practice Paper for OCR)

Poems I think are too short to come up:
The Last Laugh
Arms and the Boy
Anthem For Doomed Youth
Futility

A Terre is probably too long to come up, but don't take my word for it.

Anyway you're left with:
Apologia pro Poemate Meo
Mental Cases (My favourite to come up, full marks in mock exam)
Strange Meeting
The Sentry

Most people in my class seem to think Strange Meeting will come up as it is one of Owen's most famous poems and there is apparently alot to write about as it is so ambiguous. I hate it though. Otherwise next likely is Apologia which may be good.

We'll just have to wait and see. Most of my revision will focus on the four above and A Terre just in case. This is just my view though so don't take it to heart.

Good Luck
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I agree with the person above. Though I would condense it to 6 poems rather than 4:

Apologia pro Poemate Meo
Mental Cases
Strange Meeting
The Sentry
The Show
A Terre

Though if you get a poem you don't know as well, then adapt it so you can answer about topics you do know. Like in my mock I linked nature with mental health (personification of nature could be seen as an illusion of the mind).
Reply 4
To be honest, I wouldn't chance leaving ANY out, as there's still a possibility it may come up...
Make a few notes on the main quotes, link any techniques, imagery ect together with the other poems..

Quick Reply

Latest