Chapter 8 of C2. Ridiculous. Watch

snow leopard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
C2 is a calculator paper, right, and yet its eight chapter, Graphs of Trigonometric functions, is littered with these stupid 'Note: Do use a calculator' messages. HA. The hell I will. Dumb book. Does it think I have some super R5000 computer chip implanted in my brain or what. Could any dearest human mortal tell me what on earth is the point of these messages. Why be so forbidden about calcs in a CALCULATOR paper. Jesus. If they cared so much - put it into C1. Obviously we have some logically challenged exam boards in the country. /rant
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly, we don't have exam boards in this country.

Secondly, they didn't choose the content that is included in the common core or how it should be assessed.

Thirdly, the point of asking you not to use a calculator is to give you an opportunity to develop your understanding.
I'm clever
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It does seem a little strange doesn't it? Perhaps the idea is to develop your understanding further before using your calculator so you can see patterns/techniques?
ElMoro
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It means don't use a graphical calculator; you should know the graphs of trig functions off by heart.
ElMoro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
What's the difference between an exam board and an awarding body? (I am genuinely asking this)
snow leopard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr M)

Secondly, they didn't choose the content that is included in the common core or how it should be assessed.

Thirdly, the point of asking you not to use a calculator is to give you an opportunity to develop your understanding.
1. Lol, where have you been living? Edexcel, AQA, and etc., what are these?

2. Wasn't debating about content, just its placement/arrangement.

3. Couldn't care less about that just doing this for the grade at the end.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol is this really such a big deal
snow leopard
Rep:
?
(Original post by ElMoro)
It means don't use a graphical calculator; you should know the graphs of trig functions off by heart.
The aim in that? The rest of the core modules are calc papers, and so the hell I'll use them. I'm not going waste brain cells on regurgitating info unnecessarily, if they'd have liked that, they could have stuck Chapter 8 in C1, with the additional benefit of balancing the heavy chapter content of C2 (which is a whole other story quite frankly).
ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by snow leopard)
The aim in that?
It will come more naturally to you and develop a better understanding of what's going on, thus improving your performance.
ElMoro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The aim in that? The rest of the core modules are calc papers, and so the hell I'll use them. I'm not going waste brain cells on regurgitating info unnecessarily, if they'd have liked that, they could have stuck Chapter 8 in C1, with the additional benefit of balancing the heavy chapter content of C2 (which is a whole other story quite frankly).
I was gonna explain why you need to know the graphs but after that I just can't be bothered. :getmecoat:

Also, the book writers can't decide what is in each module. :facepalm:
Last edited by ElMoro; 7 years ago
I'm clever
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well you don't sound intelligent so you're probably going to fail C2 or get a B at the very best. You see, to get an A you need to have a deep understanding in some topics. The questions are designed to test this understanding.

I'm in Y10 but I liek to study A level maths because it helps me understand GCSE better.
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What's the difference between an exam board and an awarding body? (I am genuinely asking this)
Good question. What might appear on the surface to be a technicality is as stark a difference as living in Benghazi and Tripoli. It is all about control and self-determination.
dknt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1. Lol, where have you been living? Edexcel, AQA, and etc., what are these?

2. Wasn't debating about content, just its placement/arrangement.

3. Couldn't care less about that just doing this for the grade at the end.
1) Those are awarding bodies dear. Best not to argue with a teacher with these matters.

2) Fair enough.

3) Then you're doing the wrong subject, to be quite honest.
steve2005
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
snow leopard
Rep:
?
I was gonna explain why you need to know the graphs but after that I just can't be bothered. :getmecoat:

Also, the book writers can't decide what is in each module. :facepalm:
The hell they can; they previously rearranged content betwixt D1 and D2 and moreover, completely rewrote the FP series to some extent - not absolutely sure to the level of that though.

(Original post by I'm clever)
Well you don't sound intelligent so you're probably going to fail C2 or get a B at the very best. You see, to get an A you need to have a deep understanding in some topics. The questions are designed to test this understanding.

I'm in Y10 but I liek to study A level maths because it helps me understand GCSE better.
Lol, how does intelligence sound? The irony.

You don't need a 'deep understanding' at all, you just need familiarity and experience and practice, a levels isn't about the subject, its about passing the exam, you could master all of the modules but without one exam paper you'd 5000% fail. Please don't try to condescend someone who knows fivefold what you're talking about.
ElMoro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The hell they can; they previously rearranged content betwixt D1 and D2 and moreover, completely rewrote the FP series to some extent - not absolutely sure to the level of that though.
No, different awarding bodies choose the content of the modules not the book writers.
snow leopard
Rep:
?
(Original post by dknt)
1) Those are awarding bodies dear. Best not to argue with a teacher with these matters.

2) Fair enough.

3) Then you're doing the wrong subject, to be quite honest.
Oh, so you're a teacher? That means absolutely zilch, sorry, anyone in this country could become a teacher, and they're all dumber than the previous without any orientation for student success. Everyone is constantly let down by them. They're unorganised/unmotivated and only resort to that career because they failed their degree. So you're no one tell me if I'm doing the wrong subject, I like maths, and I'd understand it more deeply if there was no pressure from dumb exams.
ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Lol, how does intelligence sound? The irony.

You don't need a 'deep understanding' at all, you just need familiarity and experience and practice, a levels isn't about the subject, its about passing the exam, you could master all of the modules but without one exam paper you'd 5000% fail. Please don't try to condescend someone who knows fivefold what you're talking about.
Now you're just being obtuse and offensive. The authors of textbooks have no authority over what is examined in the module. You do indeed need an understanding of what you're doing - and A-Levels are about the subject. Clearly you don't belong in a Mathematics class - I was nice yesterday when you needed help on C1 differentiation but to be honest it just shows how much work you will have to put in. So don't say that you don't need an understanding, because your misguided 'method' clearly isn't working.
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by steve2005)
Thanks for the link steve. Here's one for you:

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djubl...rthsociety.htm
dknt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, so you're a teacher? That means absolutely zilch, sorry, anyone in this country could become a teacher, and they're all dumber than the previous without any orientation for student success. Everyone is constantly let down by them. They're unorganised/unmotivated and only resort to that career because they failed their degree. So you're no one tell me if I'm doing the wrong subject, I like maths, and I'd understand it more deeply if there was no pressure from dumb exams.
No, I'm not. Mr M. is and was the one who pointed it out. And of course I'm somebody to tell you you're doing the wrong subject. Look I'll do it again. You're doing the wrong subject. See, simple.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

think I'm a brilliant applicant (526)
36.89%
are desperate for students (900)
63.11%

Watched Threads