The Student Room Group

Chapter 8 of C2. Ridiculous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Understanding properly the concepts behind what you're doing is nowhere near as easy if you just plug equations into your calculator without even thinking. Go ahead and use it to help/check, but if you ever find yourself putting an equation in to your calculator without really knowing what to expect from it, you're going to find yourself stuck so much more when C3/C4/Extra modules roll around, trust me.

In terms of "just doing it for the grade", you'll find using a calculator now instead of understanding the concepts will make you waste valuable time during an exam if you get thrown a question you're not immediately familiar with. Sure, you may get 7-9 questions which you can steam roll just by using a calculator, but if you don't understand a question you are in trouble. Willing to take the risk?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
I was being sarcastic - you tried to recommend D1 and D2 to me yesterday, and I seem to remember you talking about S1 also. These are applied maths modules, not abstract (pure) modules. Therefore you should know that lots of maths is not abstract.

'pure' maths at a-levels is not abstract at all.

just saying.
As do I. The original poster is being rather rude, and dismissing the importance of some key mathematical ideas.

Yeah. :frown:

snow leopard, I thought you liked Maths for the fun of the subject?? :cry2:
Original post by steve2005

Yes and lots of people call vacuum cleaners Hoovers.

I thought you taught or am I mistaken? Perhaps the formation of the UABs was before your time.

Anyway, here is the Ofqual document that lists the old exam boards and the Awarding Bodies that replaced them.

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-support/94-articles/264-getting-copies-of-exam-certificates
Original post by snow leopard
C2 is a calculator paper, right, and yet its eight chapter, Graphs of Trigonometric functions, is littered with these stupid 'Note: Do use a calculator' messages. HA. The hell I will. Dumb book. Does it think I have some super R5000 computer chip implanted in my brain or what. Could any dearest human mortal tell me what on earth is the point of these messages. Why be so forbidden about calcs in a CALCULATOR paper. Jesus. If they cared so much - put it into C1. Obviously we have some logically challenged exam boards in the country. /rant

I'm doing C2 Edexcel, and I know what you mean, but there is a reason. The questions that say do not use a calculator are there because some people's calculators won't give exact answers. If as a part of an exam question, you have to figure out sin60sin60 for example, and you stick it in a calculator which doesn't give exact answers, you won't get the answer 32 \frac{\sqrt 3}{2}, and you might lose a mark. There won't actually be questions in the exam that say "do not use a calculator", it's just practice because some of the answers (eg. functions of 30, 45, 60 degrees) will be irrational.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Spungo
Understanding properly the concepts behind what you're doing is nowhere near as easy if you just plug equations into your calculator without even thinking. Go ahead and use it to help/check, but if you ever find yourself putting an equation in to your calculator without really knowing what to expect from it, you're going to find yourself stuck so much more when C3/C4/Extra modules roll around, trust me.

In terms of "just doing it for the grade", you'll find using a calculator now instead of understanding the concepts will make you waste valuable time during an exam if you get thrown a question you're not immediately familiar with. Sure, you may get 7-9 questions which you can steam roll just by using a calculator, but if you don't understand a question you are in trouble. Willing to take the risk?

My lack of value for maths stems from the UK's terrible awful disgraceful [+insert every synonym for bad] 'maths' teachers who have just failed me. I'm caught in a race to finish C2 as failure is just not an option, I've worked so hard in my other subjects I need to pass maths as well.

I'd like the take a step back and understand what I'm doing, but there is just no time; I need to plough through C2 in a matter of days and immediately commence revision. My change in attitude and comments generally for the subject can be blamed by 'maths' teachers. They don't deserve that damn title. Even my pre-uni sort of thing weekly maths class lecturer said that none of todays maths teachers deserve to be called mathematicians.

Original post by Maths_Lover
Yeah. :frown:

snow leopard, I thought you liked Maths for the fun of the subject?? :cry2:

Indeed I used to, but, as you can understand from said above, it's being anything but fun ~
No, I would have definitely done so if there was the option though at my school. Even more failure in the system; why can't they incorporate some AS concepts at GCSE to smoothen the transition? The jump is just ridic and out of nowhere. GCSE maths is baby work, it should be standard to be done in Year 8 imo.

You think Cambridge graduates would work in a state school? If only they would

I agree that they more often work in a private, but I know teachers who work in state schools and have studied at Oxbridge. You are kind of contradicting yourself though, because previously you said that only peple who have failed their degrees would be teachers.
My lack of value for maths stems from the UK's terrible awful disgraceful [+insert every synonym for bad] 'maths' teachers who have just failed me. I'm caught in a race to finish C2 as failure is just not an option, I've worked so hard in my other subjects I need to pass maths as well.

I'd like the take a step back and understand what I'm doing, but there is just no time; I need to plough through C2 in a matter of days and immediately commence revision. My change in attitude and comments generally for the subject can be blamed by 'maths' teachers. They don't deserve that damn title. Even my pre-uni sort of thing weekly maths class lecturer said that none of todays maths teachers deserve to be called mathematicians.

Indeed I used to, but, as you can understand from said above, it's being anything but fun ~

Try self-teaching it.
Reply 48
Generalised and poor teaching of maths does indeed seem to damage (often permanently) the opinions of people regarding the subject. It's a shame.
Reply 49
I will not be returning to this thread any longer as Chapter 8 is not going to be completed by itself. If anyone wishes to further this matter, please PM me.

I have, in the end, decided not to use a calc, in light of someone's comment on its crucialness in C3 and C4, not on, however, on the fact that I want to understand this bs.

That is a shame. :/

Try self-teaching it.

I agree. Then you can go at your own pace and take the time to understand it better; it is much more fun this way. :yes:
That is a shame. :/

I agree. Then you can go at your own pace and take the time to understand it better; it is much more fun this way. :yes:

You're also not held back by slow classmates. *shudders*
Reply 52

C2 is a calculator paper, right, and yet its eight chapter, Graphs of Trigonometric functions, is littered with these stupid 'Note: Do use a calculator' messages. HA. The hell I will. Dumb book. Does it think I have some super R5000 computer chip implanted in my brain or what. Could any dearest human mortal tell me what on earth is the point of these messages. Why be so forbidden about calcs in a CALCULATOR paper. Jesus. If they cared so much - put it into C1. Obviously we have some logically challenged exam boards in the country. /rant

Just used to try and develop your mathematical thinking as opposed to say using a calculator blindly.
:shock: Ehhhh???

I care.

Me too :biggrin: We just did a chapter that involved binomial theorem, de moivres and trig!
Reply 54
Core 2 is a lovely module :erm:

URGH. At least you go to a really good school. It can't be quite as bad.

Original post by Jing_jing
Me too :biggrin: We just did a chapter that involved binomial theorem, de moivres and trig!

Awesome! :biggrin:
Reply 56

Ah im just waiting until the second year where all the noobs drop out and its just the mathematical gods left :cool:
hehe
Original post by Jampolo
Ah im just waiting until the second year where all the noobs drop out and its just the mathematical gods left :cool:
hehe

:tongue:
Original post by Jampolo
hehe

I'm just waiting until the first year to be honest - any module must be preferable to the FSMQ. I know what you mean about the 'noobs' though, there are plenty of those in my additional maths class.
Reply 59
i remember when I was on TSR and studying for C2. sure we didn't have so many rude people back then.

Quick Reply

Latest