Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would someone please help me with part C of this question?

To help me with the part I need help with, the answer to part B is: -125

(b) Given that the enthalpy of combustion to form carbon dioxide and steam is
    –2102 kJ mol–1 for propane and –1977 kJ mo1–1 for propene, determine the enthalpy change for the oxidation of 1 mol of propane to propene and steam
    C3H8(g) + ½ O2(g) ? C3H6(g) + H2O(g)
    using equations or a cycle to support your answer

(c) State the number and type of bonds made and broken in the oxidation of propane to propene and steam. Use the mean bond enthalpies in the table above, together with your answer to part (b), to calculate the bond enthalpy of the O=O bond in the oxygen molecule.

Bondsbroken..................... ................................ ................................ ........................

Bondsformed..................... ................................ ................................ ........................

Bond enthalpy of O=O ................................ ................................ .............................

The working out the exam paper has is:

(c) Bonds broken 2 × (C – C) + 8 × (C – H) + (O = O)
    or nett : 1 × (C – C) + 2 × (C – H) + (O = O) (1)
    Bonds formed 1 × (C – C) + 6 × (C – H) + 1 × (C = C) + 2 × (O – H)
    or nett : 1 × (C=C) + 2 × (O – H) (1)

Bond enthalpy of O=O ?H = ?B(bonds broken) – ?B(bonds formed) (1)
    ? –125 = B(C – C) + 2B(C – H) + B(O = O) – B(C = C) – 2B(O – H)
    ? B(O = O) = 2(–125 –348 –2 × 413 + 612 + 2 × 463
    = +2 × 239 = 478 kJ mol–

Can you please show me, how to get to the answer without using the net? I dont understand where the 2 comes from
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by interact)
    Would someone please help me with part C of this question?

To help me with the part I need help with, the answer to part B is: -125

(b) Given that the enthalpy of combustion to form carbon dioxide and steam is
    –2102 kJ mol–1 for propane and –1977 kJ mo1–1 for propene, determine the enthalpy change for the oxidation of 1 mol of propane to propene and steam
    C3H8(g) + ½ O2(g) ? C3H6(g) + H2O(g)
    using equations or a cycle to support your answer

(c) State the number and type of bonds made and broken in the oxidation of propane to propene and steam. Use the mean bond enthalpies in the table above, together with your answer to part (b), to calculate the bond enthalpy of the O=O bond in the oxygen molecule.

Bondsbroken..................... ................................ ................................ ........................

Bondsformed..................... ................................ ................................ ........................

Bond enthalpy of O=O ................................ ................................ .............................

The working out the exam paper has is:

(c) Bonds broken 2 × (C – C) + 8 × (C – H) + (O = O)
    or nett : 1 × (C – C) + 2 × (C – H) + (O = O) (1)
    Bonds formed 1 × (C – C) + 6 × (C – H) + 1 × (C = C) + 2 × (O – H)
    or nett : 1 × (C=C) + 2 × (O – H) (1)

Bond enthalpy of O=O ?H = ?B(bonds broken) – ?B(bonds formed) (1)
    ? –125 = B(C – C) + 2B(C – H) + B(O = O) – B(C = C) – 2B(O – H)
    ? B(O = O) = 2(–125 –348 –2 × 413 + 612 + 2 × 463
    = +2 × 239 = 478 kJ mol–

Can you please show me, how to get to the answer without using the net? I dont understand where the 2 comes from
    It's just poorly written out.

The enthalpy change of the equation is equal to the bond enthalpies of the reactants - bond enthalpies of the products

BUT you will see that in the equation you have only 1/2 mole of oxygen bonds breaking.

Hence when you rearrange to get the oxygen on its own you have to multiply by 2 to get the bond enthalpy of 1 mole of O=O bonds.

bonds of 1/2(O2) = -125 - bonds(C3H8) + bonds(C3H6) + bonds(H2O)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    It's just poorly written out.

The enthalpy change of the equation is equal to the bond enthalpies of the reactants - bond enthalpies of the products

BUT you will see that in the equation you have only 1/2 mole of oxygen bonds breaking.

Hence when you rearrange to get the oxygen on its own you have to multiply by 2 to get the bond enthalpy of 1 mole of O=O bonds.

bonds of 1/2(O2) = -125 - bonds(C3H8) + bonds(C3H6) + bonds(H2O)
    Thankyou. sorry but i'm just a little confused. should my answer be the bond enthalpy of 1 mole of O=O or 1/2 a mol of O=O

ReputationRep:
    How do you rearrange the equation to get oxgen on its own?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by interact)
    How do you rearrange the equation to get oxgen on its own?
    Remember that the definition of bond enthalpy is the energy required to break 1 mole of bonds in a gaseous molecule.

By Hess' law:

bonds broken - bonds formed = enthalpy change of reaction

bonds(C3H8) + bonds(1/2O2) - bonds(C3H6) - bonds(H2O) = ΔH(rxn)

rearrange by taking terms to the other side and changing sign to leave bonds(1/2O2) on its own...

bonds(1/2O2) = ΔH(rxn) - bonds(C3H8) + bonds(C3H6) + bonds(H2O)

Now you work out the value of the right hand side...

BUT this equals only 1/2 the bond enthalpy of oxygen ...

SO you have to multiply by 2 to get the bond enthalpy of oxygen

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou soooo much, i cannot thank you enough

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.