Turn on thread page Beta

OCR AS - Chemistry Unit F322 - Chains, energy and resource - REVISION! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    NO is the radical
    It said in the book that NO2 was the radical as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The medjai)
    I remember seeing somewhere that if you consumed methanol, you could die so when it came up I Put:

Russian mafia agents use it to kill people they don't like!!! heheheheheheh
    Yeah, my teacher said it could make you blind, so I've figured my answer about using it for alcoholic drinks may be wrong haha

ReputationRep:
    Guys whats the general feeling amongst you guys.....what do you think the grade boundaries will be like....I found itdecent apart from the question where it asked you about Methanol use....WHAT THE F*=* was that....I originally put down In spirits but then changed it to feedstock for chemical processes...but yeah grade boundary predictions anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChessMister)
    ok ok; someone has been reading the textbook (as opposed to being taught) with such intensity that they remember the numerous little hints offered by OCR
    My teacher hated the textbook. I thought it went well with my CGP revision guide and the specification. 1000000x better than the OCR physics textbook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newreaper19)
    Did anyone else notice that on the last the question the melecular ion for Y was at 47, but there are no alcahols that can be formed with 47m/z. :confused:
    Yeah, the molecular ion was 46; the m+1 peak should be ignored because it's just there due to the presence of the carbon-13 isotope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midgeamoo)
    Do you by any chance enjoy chemistry and not enjoy talking about global warming and environmental agreements? xP
    I just don't like Chemistry generally! But all the environmental stuff is up there with the worst of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif123)
    Guys whats the general feeling amongst you guys.....what do you think the grade boundaries will be like....I found itdecent apart from the question where it asked you about Methanol use....WHAT THE F*=* was that....I originally put down In spirits but then changed it to feedstock for chemical processes...but yeah grade boundary predictions anyone?
    I put down lighting fluid-which is wrong, that's the only thing i could think of. I did ok, hopefully will get an A grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif123)
    You might get a mark for that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ChessMister)
    ok ok; someone has been reading the textbook (as opposed to being taught) with such intensity that they remember the numerous little hints offered by OCR
    I actually don't have a textbook and haven't picked one up for Chemistry this year, my college makes us notes themselves in booklets for each topic, and it was written in that. Having said that, they probably use the textbooks to make the notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bagelbe)
    It said in the book that NO2 was the radical as well?
    NO2 radical meets an O radical to form oxygen and NO radical, in the 2nd step. The radical NO is reformed so it's a chain reaction.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I thought this paper was a lot harder than the ones from previous years we did for practise. I just hope the grade boundaries are as low, wasn't it like mid-60s for an A last year? :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nereik6794)
    NO2 radical meets an O radical to form oxygen and NO radical, in the 2nd step. The radical NO is reformed so it's a chain reaction.
    Yeah that's what I put! aweeesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    Exactly right, I believe. (Well its what I put and its what made logical sense)

So for the first one with hydrogen, you just removed the double bond and put 1 extra Hydrogen on each of the carbons that were in the double bond. Then for the HBr, the first one you would've put the H on the first carbon in the double bond, and the Br on the second, then for the second product from HBr, the Br on the first carbon that was in the double bond, and the H on the second.
    (Sorry if I've explained it rubbish)
    lool ok jus to clarify there was no double bonds on any of the ones u drew - they were all saturated ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmey)
    lool ok jus to clarify there was no double bonds on any of the ones u drew - they were all saturated ??
    Yep, all saturated

ReputationRep:
    Last question was ethyl propanoate!
    The international thing was just WTF!
    Quite a standard paper I guess

I put down c0+co2 +h20 for incomplete combustion ,,some people say its only co

Incineration :
    Just said about - recycling
    -filtering
    -Develop biodegradable polymer...

ReputationRep:
    In terms of bond making and bond breaking, what is meant by exothermic? bond making is an exothermic process
    What is meant by enthalpy change of combustion? Enthalpy change of combustion is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of a substance is completely burnt in oxygen
    Work out enthalpy change of formation -1279 (or something)
    Why can enthalpy change of formation not be measured directly? high activation, more than one product...

Write equations for complete and incomplete combustion of methanol
    What is it used for?

Equation for atom economy

N2 + O2 -> 2NO
    (Endothermic reaction)
    In terms of rate of reverse reaction and rate of forward reaction, explain how the mixture reaches dynamic equilibrium forward = reverse
    Carried out at same temperature but a higher pressure, why does it take less time to reach dynamic equilibrium and why is composition the same? more molecules, collision theory, same moles on each side (5 marks)
    Why cannot it reach equilibrium in a car engine?
    What is enthalpy change of formation (+66 to +33)
    What is meant by endothermic?
    NO has is a radical, what does it tell you about the molecule?
    How does it break down ozone?

Draw a tertiary alcohol of C4H10O
    Name it
    Draw the alcohol that can be oxidized to make butanone
    List of processes
    Which one is cracking
    Which does not have 100% atom economy
    Which forms structural isomers

Fermentation & atom economy & percentage yield

(10 mark)
    1-bromopropane 1-chloropropane
    Fission, reaction mechanism, equation, reaction rate differences

Which is saturated?
    Which are E/Z isomers, which are structural isomers, shapes, explain bonding in E/Z

Adding H2 across methyl-cyclohexene double bond
    2 isomers of adding HBr across methyl-cyclohexene double bond.

A Functional group is a group attached to and organic compound and determines its chemical properties.

The first 4 alcohols are liquids as their molecules hydrogen bond with each other hence these are much stronger than the van der waals that act upon alkanes. The hydrogen bonding occurs from the difference in electronegativity between O and H in the OH group.

Name alkene used to make polymer (but-1-ene)
    What do CO and HCl do to environment, what are chemists doing to minimize damage? (4 marks) Burning of chloroethene creates TOXIC HCL gas and TOXIC CO which attaches to haemoglobin better than O2. CO2 contributes to greenhouse effects etc.
    Importance of international protocol agreements? (2 marks?) International cooperation is important to raise awareness for governments and people to recycle/ dispose of plastics carefully.

Last question
    Carboxylic acid – M/Z = 74
    Alcohol = 46
    Ester was ethyl-proanoate
    (10 marks)

thats what I can remember from the questions if anyone wants to make the unofficial mark scheme now (LOL cannot remember order at all)

ReputationRep:
    Also, what did people but for the isomers of methylcyclohexene or whatever it is? Did people draw skeletal or displayed formulae?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryKoi)
    I thought this paper was a lot harder than the ones from previous years we did for practise. I just hope the grade boundaries are as low, wasn't it like mid-60s for an A last year? :eek2:
    It's normally between 70-80 for an A. My guess would be mid 70's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bagelbe)
    Yeah that's what I put! aweeesome
    Accidently +rep you

They ignore dots (radical) anyway so no need to worry
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    Last question was ethyl propanoate!
    The international thing was just WTF!
    Quite a standard paper I guess

I put down c0+co2 +h20 for incomplete combustion ,,some people say its only co

Incineration :
    Just said about - recycling
    -filtering
    -Develop biodegradable polymer...
    Incomplete combustion only produces CO + H2O, no CO2.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2011

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.