Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyyy24)
    In terms of bond making and bond breaking, what is meant by exothermic? bond making is an exothermic process (2 marks)
    What is meant by enthalpy change of combustion? Enthalpy change of combustion is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of a substance is completely burnt in oxygen (2 marks)
    Work out enthalpy change of formation -1279 (or something) (3 marks)
    Why can enthalpy change of formation not be measured directly? high activation, more than one product...
    (1 mark)

General formula for an alcohol (1 mark)
    Write equations for complete and incomplete combustion of methanol
    Complete combustion CH3OH + 1.5O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O
    Incomplete combustion CH3OH + O2 -> CO + 2H2O

What is it used for? Feedstocks

The reason why poly methanol dissolves in water is because it hydrogen bonds with it.

Equation for atom economy

N2 + O2 -> 2NO
    (Endothermic reaction)
    In terms of rate of reverse reaction and rate of forward reaction, explain how the mixture reaches dynamic equilibrium forward = reverse
    Carried out at same temperature but a higher pressure, why does it take less time to reach dynamic equilibrium and why is composition the same? more molecules, collision theory, same moles on each side (5 marks)
    Why cannot it reach equilibrium in a car engine?
    Closed system, Dynamic equilibrium isn't formed as temperature is very great, hence as the reaction was endothermic, increasing the temperature pushes the reaction far to the endothermic side, a change which is too great for any equilibrium to minimise.
    What is enthalpy change of formation (+66 to +33)
    What is meant by endothermic?
    NO has is a radical, what does it tell you about the molecule?
    Unpaired electron
    How does it break down ozone?

NO + O3 -> NO2 + O2
    NO2 + O -> NO + O2
    (O3 +O -> 2O2)

Draw a tertiary alcohol of C4H10O
    Name it
    2-methyl-propan-2-ol

Draw the alcohol that can be oxidized to make butanone
    butan-2-ol
    List of processes
    Which one is cracking
    Which does not have 100% atom economy
    Which forms structural isomers

Fermentation & atom economy & percentage yield

(10 mark)
    1-bromopropane 1-chloropropane
    Fission, reaction mechanism, equation, reaction rate differences

Which is saturated?
    Which are E/Z isomers, which are structural isomers, shapes, explain bonding in E/Z

Adding H2 across methyl-cyclohexene double bond
    2 isomers of adding HBr across methyl-cyclohexene double bond.

A Functional group is a group attached to and organic compound and determines its chemical properties.

The first 4 alcohols are liquids as their molecules hydrogen bond with each other hence these are much stronger than the van der waals that act upon alkanes. The hydrogen bonding occurs from the difference in electronegativity between O and H in the OH group.

Name alkene used to make polymer (but-1-ene)
    What do CO and HCl do to environment, what are chemists doing to minimize damage? (4 marks) Burning of chloroethene creates TOXIC HCL gas and TOXIC CO which attaches to haemoglobin better than O2. CO2 contributes to greenhouse effects etc.
    Importance of international protocol agreements? (2 marks?) International cooperation is important to raise awareness for governments and people to recycle/ dispose of plastics carefully.

Last question
    Carboxylic acid – M/Z = 74
    Alcohol = 46
    Ester was ethyl-proanoate
    (10 marks)

thats what I can remember from the questions if anyone wants to make the unofficial mark scheme now (LOL cannot remember order at all)
    (Original post by NRT)
    X
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nereik6794)
    Not only does it talk loads of random stuff you don't need, the questions never make sense either! How did you find G481? I thought it went well, self taught myself as my teachers are terrible too. Well, one teacher is okay. I just didn't listen in mechanics very much, he was good at teaching waves though
    I found G481 easy as I had already done M1 in maths and i managed to teach myself any other relevant stuff fairly easily - got full UMS
    i hate my teachers with a passion which i why i will probably drop physics next year. I haven't done any revision for this next physics exam but i've got a whole week and have been getting low As on practice papers so far so i'm feeling confident shame i have french on the same day though :/

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you got at least like 4 marks there.
    Really? THAT ACTUALLY MAKES ME SO MUCH HAPPIER

luckily that was my last exam. Nasty way to go...praying like hell for a cheeky borderline A haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flint_09)
    another use of methanol....

I SAID it can be used in alcoholic drinks!

DO U THINK IT IS RIGHT?

"Methanol (one carbon), the propanols (three carbons giving two isomers), and the butanols (four carbons, four isomers) are all commonly found alcohols — these three toxic alcohols should never be consumed in any form." wikipedia
    You cannot consume Methanol, you'd die.

ReputationRep:
    I drank methanol once....now I am a ghostly spirit...A methylated spirit....THANK YOU THANK YOU...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I retook this exam and for the use of methanol (which also came up in my unit 4 mock) it can be used in a transesterification process to make biodiesel. I just remembered that from my unit 4 exam so put that down! :P

Overall the paper was quite easy! :P xD

ReputationRep:
    No probs, and also that car one - Dynamic equilibrium isn't formed as temperature is very great, hence as the reaction was endothermic, increasing the temperature pushes the reaction far to the endothermic side, a change which is too great for any equilibrium to minimise. Could be wrong but a little F325 helped here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conzag123)
    I found G481 easy as I had already done M1 in maths and i managed to teach myself any other relevant stuff fairly easily - got full UMS
    i hate my teachers with a passion which i why i will probably drop physics next year. I haven't done any revision for this next physics exam but i've got a whole week and have been getting low As on practice papers so far so i'm feeling confident shame i have french on the same day though :/
    Ahh that's boss mate getting A's without revision! haha... Good luck with both them exams anyways!

ReputationRep:
    Did you have to put brackets and a n around the monomer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nereik6794)
    Ahh that's boss mate getting A's without revision! haha... Good luck with both them exams anyways!

PS: good luck to you too
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by asif123)
    I drank methanol once....now I am a ghostly spirit...A methylated spirit....THANK YOU THANK YOU...
    +1 for making me laugh out loud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NRT)
    No probs, and also that car one - Dynamic equilibrium isn't formed as temperature is very great, hence as the reaction was endothermic, increasing the temperature pushes the reaction far to the endothermic side, a change which is too great for any equilibrium to minimise. Could be wrong but a little F325 helped here

I put that an internal combustion engine isnt really a closed system, I.E. it has an exhaust...so dynamic equilibrium can't be reached. Is that right?

ReputationRep:
    What was the general formula?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chargedmachine)
    I put that an internal combustion engine isnt really a closed system, I.E. it has an exhaust...so dynamic equilibrium can't be reached. Is that right?
    Same...Should be correct

ReputationRep:
    It just asked for the monomer so I didn't write the n. It was a 2 marker, 1 was the monomer 1 was the name of it. I don't think the n will matter for that question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chargedmachine)
    That seems fine, i was thinking that but tried to be too technical, in the end mine could end up wrong!.

The general formula was C2nH2n+1OH?

ReputationRep:
    Oh god please say that the combustion equations went complete combustion and then incomplete combustion? :|

ReputationRep:
    Is the general formula for an alcohol CnH2n+2O? And was the molecular formula for a 13 carbon alcohol C13H28O?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I didn't, I thought that was only when writing the addition polymerisation equations, and it only asked you for the monomer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    Is the general formula for an alcohol CnH2n+2O? And was the molecular formula for a 13 carbon alcohol C13H28O?
    For the second one, yeah i put C13H27OH but its all the same.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.