Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Noisy bearing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it dangerous to drive with a noisy bearing on the left side of the car? It's located at the back part of the car. I'm going to drive 2 hours straight today and I was just worried that I'll get in an accident or something because of that noise. And also I will be back tomorrow (so another 2 hours drive again)

Any advice will be appreciated. I just need to go to the place that I have to go and not worry that I will get in an accident or that my car will die in the middle of the freeway.

ReputationRep:
    Be very careful, if the hub nut untightens and the tab washer falls off, it COULD cause the wheel to come off the swivel house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    Be very careful, if the hub nut untightens and the tab washer falls off, it COULD cause the wheel to come off the swivel house
    It makes noise when you make a left turn too. But when I go straight I don't hear anything, they said they will fix it next week.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a stupid question but what does this actually sound like?

ReputationRep:
    squat down and put your hands either side of the wheel, and pull it back and forth hard, does it make a clank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    Maybe a stupid question but what does this actually sound like?
    Its like the bumper is scratching the ground when you make a turn. Not sure if thats a perfect explanation but thats how I hear it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    squat down and put your hands either side of the wheel, and pull it back and forth hard, does it make a clank?
    I'll do it once I get the car, my mom borrowed it and she'll be back shortly.
    I will let you know.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    On the above point, jack the wheel up of the ground if possible, it will make feeling the play in the bearing easier. It's OK for you to feel a slight movement. TBH though noisy bearings can last a long time without changing, of course they could collapse.

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably be fine. I drove a good thousand miles or so with a knackered wheel bearing on my car before I got around to changing it. It was making a proper racket. If it only makes the sound going left and not when going in a straight line then I can't imagine you'll have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    On the above point, jack the wheel up of the ground if possible, it will make feeling the play in the bearing easier. It's OK for you to feel a slight movement. TBH though noisy bearings can last a long time without changing, of course they could collapse.

(Original post by Nuffles)
    You'll probably be fine. I drove a good thousand miles or so with a knackered wheel bearing on my car before I got around to changing it. It was making a proper racket. If it only makes the sound going left and not when going in a straight line then I can't imagine you'll have any problems.
    Thanks guys. I'm back home safe now. Never had any problems with the car, just the noise but not really a loud one.

ReputationRep:
    did you try my advice? Its a very easy job to tighten a bearing

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.