Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would just to show your respects, who cares if others can read it. If you knew the person then say your final goodbyes! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcake-101)
    final goodbye
    This phrase always makes me wibble. ):

ReputationRep:
    A guy from our group of friends died last year and everyone wrote on his facebook wall. They still do write stuff whenever they remember of him. I have nothing against it, I'd feel too weird to do it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Send a card to their relatives, or even an email. Much better and will really be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone whose lost someone close to them will really give a monkeys if writing a goodbye message on their FB is tacky or not. I'm sure they have more on their minds than if something is 'cringeworthy' etc etc.

I think it depends on the person, a lot of my friends seem to spend so much of their lives on facebook I'm sure saying a final goodbye over it would be fine with them - whereas my uncle hates all things personal over facebook so I wouldn't do it in that case.

I think it's nice when people share memories etc on facebook, whether they attend the funeral or not, they may not have a chance to share such things there. Most funerals are still quite formal and speeches are usually just from close family members and a few select friends.

Dealing with death is a personal thing and everyone should be allowed to express it how they feel necessary, aslong as they show respect (not bad mouthing said person for example) then let it be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HedonisticMe)
    I once saw a person who felt it appropriate to show his respect via a FarmVille gift, it didn't go down too well.
    Frontierville keeps suggesting I add my dead friend as a neighbour... :rolleyes: There's no way to get around it either.

I haven't recently myself but I know some of my friends still write on our friend who died last summers wall, just to tell her things or to write memories down. We made a video as well and that's on there too.

what i don't like about that is how open it is to abuse
    cunts posting inappropriate shit on memorial facebook pages and groups

(Original post by Anonymous)
    What do people think of writing messages on the Facebook walls of people who have died? Tacky or just showing respect? By this I mean people who KNEW the person who died, but weren't CLOSE exactly, or maybe hadn't seen them in a couple of years. Was just wondering people's opinions.

anon cos directly inspired by the death of someone I know and I don't want to be disrespectful
    :eek: do we have a mutual friend or something?! cus i just looked on my facebook and someone put "r.i.p" : O!

ReputationRep:
    Cringe.
    - Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    seems very impersonal to me.

ReputationRep:
    A boy I went to primary school with died suddenly last year - I'd moved away about 3 times since then and hadn't seen him since we were about 12, but he was part of the friend group I'd grown up with and I was quite sad. I found out on Facebook, and someone made a page dedicated to him but I thought it was weird seeing '[friend] likes RIP [soandso]'

I can understand why people do it but I didn't leave a message because I'm not close to his family and didn't know him anymore. Someone put 'RIP [name]' as their status though and everyone i went to school with joined in reminiscing about our time with him, which was nice

ReputationRep:
    I thought that peoples facebooks got turned into memorial pages when they pass away?

here

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like it when someone starts a facebook page or group about it. I feel it actually trivialises what's happened :s. People use to join thousands of groups about anything from walking on crunchy leaves to kit-kay opening method. So it's almost disrespectful imo to join a group.

And there always about 3 or 4 different ones for one person, it's like there's some kind of subconscious race to be the first to make it :s which is disgusting.

I don't mind seeing posts on the actual persons wall though. That's sort of nice in a way. but shouldn't replace the other traditions we have.

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me....I have a dead person on my facebook still.

ReputationRep:
    People grieve and pay their respects in different ways. There is not always an option to visit a grave etc or speak to someone else about your feelings. If it helps, I don't see the problem with it. You don't have to have been close to someone to be affected by their death.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. Just another way of showing your respect, i'm sure they wouldn't mind and if you feel it's not right don't post.

A close friend of the family died last year and he still gets wall posts every other day, which i believe his family like because it shows just how respected he was.

ReputationRep:
    It's tacky - by which I mean it lowers the dignity of mourning.

Really, if you actually give a damn - which I imagine a lot of people who make facebook posts like this won't - then go to the effort of getting a card or writing a letter to the person's family, and stick some flowers on the grave. At least demonstrate a bit of effort, and maintain a bit of privacy.

I once saw a person who felt it appropriate to show his respect via a FarmVille gift, it didn't go down too well.
    Ha!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can make any judgements about the way people react to the death of someone they cared about, no matter how close they might have been.

ReputationRep:
    I Don't Think there is anything wrong with it. It's an accessible way for people to show respect. Someone in my year at school died two years ago ( to this very day) and it's nice to sometimes go on his bebo and see the messages his friends and family still leave him after all this time.

ReputationRep:
    It don't really have a problem with other people doing it but I would much rather leave flowers at the grave or if I'm passing on my well wishes to the family I would write to them the old fashioned way. I don't know why but it seems, to me, too mean less on fb. Maybe because it is so easy to do it doesn't require any thought or effort. But if thats what people want to do then why not. If it was me that had died I would prefer letters be sent to my family as I know it would mean more to them then msgs on fb.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.