Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been on the phone this morning, firstly to hte university i intend to go to. The person i need to speak to is not available however they are going to ring me back in a few days.

Next i rang student finance again, the advisor i spoke to was friendly and had a good look over my application. All they are able to see is the length of time i have been with the OU so count those as study years, they do not see how many courses or the credits they are worth. He would not say conclusively but I confirmed i will only have gained a certificate of higher education, he then put me on hold while he had a good look over everything and said that he thinks the best course of action is to put a case together for an appeal. He advised i get proof from the OU about all my courses which i have done and also to explain how my past study links to my intended study as having done Art History and going on to Archaeology there is a link there which would go in my favour.

I have written an email and sent it off, will speak to the welfare advisor at York when they phone back and explain the situation in case they can contact student finance too.

Thankyou so much for everyones help wouldn't have known what to do otherwise.

Does anyone know how long appeals usually take? the guy on the phone said it is lenghty but was not more specific.

ReputationRep:
    ah just got an automated reply saying 'we aim to respond within 15 working days though we endeavour to reply before this.'

I do hope so.

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i briefly studied with the ou 2007 for roughly four months. dropped out as child became very ill have now been accepted at uni and student finance are saying im not entitled to my tuition fee?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jillg72)
    hi
    i briefly studied with the ou 2007 for roughly four months. dropped out as child became very ill have now been accepted at uni and student finance are saying im not entitled to my tuition fee?
    Weird. I'm going back to uni this September after a previous period of full time study, and some OU. My OU has been totally ignored which I believe is the correct procedure. I'd definitely appeal your decision.

ReputationRep:
    thats what i thought, iam awaiting a call back from a supervisor i will appeal against it otherwise will not be able to accept uni offer. whats made me so angry is that i done just under four months got a 200 pound grant and had to withdraw. have already sent a letter as to why i couldnt continue on the course? they are so unhelpful it makes me so mad !!!!! hope i get it sorted out dont quite know what else to do .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoffnova)
    I recieved a letter from student finance today telling me i will not get a tuition fee loan, the reason being i have done 3 open university courses, even though these were part time they still consider that a whole year of study and wont provide anymore.

I decided this year to apply to do Archaeology at The University of York and have recieved an uncoditional offer, i will ring them monday to see what they suggest. my parents are both on benefites and i only have a part time job in a supermarket there is no way i would be able to afford to go to uni without any help.

Student finance say i will get the maintenance loan but that is it, it will not be enough. I spoke to them today hoping it was a mistake but it isnt.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what i can do apart from contact the uni? i am trying to save all i can but my fear is i will not be able to go.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I know this is an old post, but I wondered what the final decision from Student Finance was, because I'm in a very similar position.

Many thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.