Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Until recently I never realised how homophobic some men still are in this day and age.

I'm a girl going to a greek island on holiday with my best friend - male, gay.
    (If i'm honest, i would prefer to have a girl there also because as a girl it is nice to get ready together etc but i've gotten over that).

So on Facebook there are multiple pages/groups for people going to these places in the summer, and i've met a few guys on there. One guy i was speaking to, from Manchester, seemed to use the word 'gay' as a derogatory term (i do this too but very sarcastically and jokely). He came across very narrow minded and quite homophobic.

Last night i met someone else who lives near me, also going to the same place. It was nice, he as a nice guy, although he also seemed to have a problem with gay people. He even said he stopped speaking to his half brother because he was gay(he mentioned they weren't close before he came out anyway) and generally seemed narrow minded - although he wasn't bothered that i'm jewish...unlike the guy mentioned before.

I haven't told either of them i'm going with a guy also that he's gay etc and they probably assume i'm going with a girl.

Now i'm wondering whether it will be a major issue while i'm there with him. Are all guys who go on these holidays as narrow minded and homophobic?!

ReputationRep:
    Depends who you hang around with. I tend not to have any issue with homophobia, even when I'm out with my boyfriend. I imagine many would be too pissed to care, and even think he's straight since he's with you. Depends how 'obvious' it is.

For me, it's not the homophobia that really offends me. It's the fact the people who say it can breed.

ReputationRep:
    aww yeah well at home people tend to not care, and it sounds awful to say it but i find that people who haven't been brought up well 'lower class' you can say (i know that's controversial but i think it's true) are more narrow minded

The problem with him is that a few months ago, he got very drunk and came onto guys at a party (that's my most recent memory of something like this happening) and they got very freaked out. I'm just worried that will happen. I have spoken to him about it and he says 'he knows how to act around these people'.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly there are a lot of people who just hate gay men... I'm not one of them, hell I have a gay friend. Me, him and 3 other people have the highest grades in our Chem 2 Lab and lecture.

We all formed a group early in the semester, did it matter that that one guy was gay? Hell no, all that matters is that we make the grades we need to make.

Some people are just... stupid, and there's no helping that sadly. It's the way the world is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    aww yeah well at home people tend to not care, and it sounds awful to say it but i find that people who haven't been brought up well 'lower class' you can say (i know that's controversial but i think it's true) are more narrow minded
    "Oooh I say, the commoners are quite unruly aren't they" :hat:

I'm working class but despise homophobia and your ignorant generalisation about how 'lower class' individuals have not been brought up well. Not to mention the great irony in you calling others narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)

I'm working class but despise homophobia and your ignorant generalisation about how 'lower class' individuals have not been brought up well. Not to mention the great irony in you calling others narrow minded.

oh dear... you're just looking for some **** aren't you?
    yes i was wrong to generalise, i really should have said some and no of course other types of people are homophobic
    i'm only speaking from the experiences i've had in basically the last week
    grow up

ReputationRep:
    heellllllllllp

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes the most homophobic of men end up having...you know what I'm getting at. Basically, if you are comfortable with sex and your own sexuality, you'll not bother what other people do with their bodies.

Homophobia in women= penis envy.
    Homophobia in men= perhaps denial and jealousy (i.e., gay men have lots of sexual encounters).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    oh dear... you're just looking for some **** aren't you?
    yes i was wrong to generalise, i really should have said some and no of course other types of people are homophobic
    i'm only speaking from the experiences i've had in basically the last week
    grow up
    Snobbery is just as bigoted and unattractive as homophobia. You'll all get on fine on your little greek island if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshKSM)
    Snobbery is just as bigoted and unattractive as homophobia. You'll all get on fine on your little greek island if you ask me.
    lol k cant wait babe

ReputationRep:
    There are still some ignorant idiots out there that are homophobic. Don't know why this is tbh, maybe they are insecure with themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    There are still some ignorant idiots out there that are homophobic. Don't know why this is tbh, maybe they are insecure with themselves?
    yeah well i think they aren't comfortable with their sexuality (pretty obvious)

also, most guys say this stuff but would never act on anything, they don't care enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)

I think there's a difference between working class and 'lower class'.
    I think you can be rich as hell but be rude and have no class.

Working class is about job type and economic wealth; lower class is being brought up crap and having no manners.

ReputationRep:
    Homophobia is ignorant and bigoted. In America its prime reason for contention is Christian supremacists who love to use scripture to justify their own immorality.

Homosexuality is a form of love, and should be respected as such.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people feel uncomfortable knowing that the other male in the room thinks of them in 'that' way, although most gay people don't think of every guy they see in 'that' way

ReputationRep:
    if he's gay, greek is up his alley.

In seriousness, I think homophobia is more tolerated than racism or sexism. It depends on one's social circle.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.