Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok me and my girlfriend have been invited to a "tea party", what is appropriate clothing?

Thinking beige semi-smart trousers and a light colored shirt for me, a flowery skirt and modest top for her? Is this what is meant? You guys are British, this should be in your blood.

(yes, I do want to take along a placard and dress in red, white and blue, no that is not the kind of tea party meant)

ReputationRep:
    political or biscuit related?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    (yes, I do want to take along a placard and dress in red, white and blue, no that is not the kind of tea party meant)
    I actually think that draping the Union Flag over your shoulders is a capital idea, how better to show your acceptance of British culture and tradition? Red, white and blue it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anya~)
    political or biscuit related?

:confused:
    Drinking tea and prancing about on grass pretending to be English related. So...biscuit I guess.

Sorry, wrong forum.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are British, this should be in your blood.
    I've never been to a tea party :emo:

Tea dress for the lady and perhaps chinos and a nice shirt for the gentlemen? Talk in a British accent and remember that a drop cake is a scone and you're on your way!

ReputationRep:
    Drinking tea and prancing about on grass pretending to be English related. So...biscuit I guess.

Sorry, wrong forum.

Flower, plain block color or gingham () dress/skirt with a camisole is ideal for a tea party

...for men hummmm I would say a plain white shirt and beige smart trousers is your best bet

Light colour shirt might look too pastelly plainy with beige!

ReputationRep:
    If there are no crumpets cause mischief!

Any event that purports to be a Tea Party but lack Crumpets is an abomination!

ReputationRep:
    A tea dress!

ReputationRep:
    I know the perfect clothes :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anya~)
    Flower, plain block color or gingham () dress/skirt with a camisole is ideal for a tea party

...for men hummmm I would say a plain white shirt and beige smart trousers is your best bet

Light colour shirt might look too pastelly plainy with beige!
    Awesome thanks. So we were vaguely on the right path...didn't want to turn up and look like retards different from everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Something like this for the lady?

http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...es&pageSize=20

and for the man...

bottoms

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...69&pageSize=20

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ents=category~[207235|207230]&noOfRefinements=1

I am not pro-casting...

ReputationRep:
    Sabertooth, I have the following message for you:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ahahahahahaha you're going to a tea party. :rofl:

But seriously, just wear a slightly nicer version of what you'd normally wear, for example if your girlfriend doesn't usually wear skirts then there wouldn't be anything wrong with her wearing some fairly smart trousers instead.

Enjoy your tea party. :tea:

ReputationRep:
    Ok me and my girlfriend have been invited to a "tea party", what is appropriate clothing?

Thinking beige semi-smart trousers and a light colored shirt for me, a flowery skirt and modest top for her? Is this what is meant? You guys are British, this should be in your blood.

This:

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wear a blazer or sports jacket if I were you (maybe actual "smart" trousers rather than "semi-smart"). Of course, it depends on who the host is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.