Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Oh. I thought the evil colonialists were actually the same bunch of people who were skilled and experienced farmers that made Rhodesia, later Zimbabwe, the breadbasket of Africa.

So, it's not that ****in moron Mugabe to blame at all.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :rolleyes:
    Where did I say anything about the merits or otherwise of Mugabe?

Furthermore, the farming skills the colonialists brought is utterly irrelevant to the point that they are now having a seriously debilitating effect on a supposedly independent country.

I'd love to see them shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)

Furthermore, the farming skills the colonialists brought is utterly irrelevant to the point that they are now having a seriously debilitating effect on a supposedly independent country.

Forgive him Lord, for he knows not what he says. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Also in defence of the white farmers is that a lot of the land was bought AFTER the independence of Zimbabwe, for good money - it's not that they stole it from the people and haven't given it back. It's really not them holding the country to ransom either, there have been multiple talks between British govts, Mugabe and the white farmers concerning redistribution of the land, and it was agreed upon that this would need to happen. However Mugabe refused to stick by these and instead took over the land and gave it to his supporters

(Original post by llama boy)

The debilitating effect is caused by what is quintessentially a reverse of the agricultural revolution (In zimbabwe)
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Hahahahahahahahahaha.
    Yes, I know. I didn't include Boris Johnson.

All well and good rolling your eyes.

I don't know if Zimbabwe really needs British assistance to become self-sufficient as suggested by Mr.White. But what I do know and what cannot de disputed is the complete and utter dog's breakfast Zimbabwe has made of managing it's affairs by itself.
    The problem is the people are so quick to believe all their problems are caused by foreign powers, when in fact it has always been do to the thugs that control the country.
    I get the impression that many are starting to realise this too late to do anything about it.
    What pisses me off is the politicians like Mbeki who support them. Idiots
    J

ReputationRep:
    All well and good rolling your eyes.

I don't know if Zimbabwe really needs British assistance to become self-sufficient as suggested by Mr.White. But what I do know and what cannot de disputed is the complete and utter dog's breakfast Zimbabwe has made of managing it's affairs by itself.
    zimabwe hasn't masde the dog's breakast! it's mugabe and his party (zanu pf) who were fairly voted into power when they promised equality to the country. as soon as they were voted to power, all subsequent elections have been vandalised by bullying.
    i think we should definitely do something but at the moment it's tricky because SA's government are still supporting zimbabwe (or more mugabe-he's best buddies with the top people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    Also in defence of the white farmers is that a lot of the land was bought AFTER the independence of Zimbabwe, for good money - it's not that they stole it from the people and haven't given it back. It's really not them holding the country to ransom either, there have been multiple talks between British govts, Mugabe and the white farmers concerning redistribution of the land, and it was agreed upon that this would need to happen. However Mugabe refused to stick by these and instead took over the land and gave it to his supporters
    last figure i saw was that 90% of zimbabwe's farming land was sitting fallow because of mugabe handing the land over to his supporters. he said that he'd give the white farmer's land back to the black people who work on it., had he done this, inflation would not be like it is because it is those eople that can work the land sccesfully.

(Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    last figure i saw was that 90% of zimbabwe's farming land was sitting fallow because of mugabe handing the land over to his supporters. he said that he'd give the white farmer's land back to the black people who work on it., had he done this, inflation would not be like it is because it is those eople that can work the land sccesfully.
    they don't have the know how how to do it, pkus the plan was to divide the land into small plots - thus reducing efficiency.
    Like i said - a reverse agricultural revolution.
    J

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2004
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.